Shotgun project

I've never really been interested in shotguns much. I've owed a couple, but its been 25 or so years since I've even fired one. Then I played with a Winchester Model 1897 at a fun show a few weeks back. Decided that I must have one, & of course I want the most expensive one I can find. A trench gun. I've not got a $3-5k extra for a gun right now. But I do like making a good facsimile of things.

Found a good deal on a slightly squished model 97 take down made around 1938. By squished, I mean that the front 5 inches or so of the barrel looked someone had used it for a hammer & them used a hacksaw on it. Beat to shit! So I got the gun for a song, & since I didn't the last 8 inches barrel anyways. I'm happy with it. Guess this could also be considered a shotgun rescue, as I probably wasn't safe to shoot in this condition.

Unfortunately, I forgot to take before pictures. But I cut the the barrel down to the proper 20 inches I'm needing & have the parts on order for the conversion. Should be plenty of fun.
Screw communism

Re: Shotgun project

With changing jobs it took a bit to have spare cash, but the parts are finally on order. Not wanting to use some hard to find & stupid expensive originals, but there's an outfit down Georgia that makes a first rate reproduction. 14 week delivery sucks though. Reckon that'll give me some time to find a bayonet. Thought I had one already, but I remembered wrong. Got a pair of pattern 1907 British bayonets. Which just won't work.
Screw communism

Matt,

I would recommend sending your barrel to the maker of the shroud. The shrouds come under-sized and have to be reamed to fit your barrel. If you don't have that reamer, it's a really rough job. Just spend a bit more and have them do the installation. It will save you money (won't have to buy the single use reamer), and headaches. Call the maker of the barrel shroud, they'll explain it all.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

INVICTVS138 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:14 pm
You guys hacking away at antique shotguns… bubba-ing guns is the only thing that hurts my fee-fees …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reread the first post. The barrel was squished & essentially useless. It's why I got the gun to begin with & I wouldn't be doing this otherwise. I fix & rebuild old guns.

As far as a reamer goes, I've got a bunch of reamers & a buddy who owns a machine shop that I've got the use of for what I don't have at home. My old manual machines are there. Surface grinder, mill, scraper, etc.
Screw communism

INVICTVS138 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:08 am One does wonder how a barrel gets “squished” though? Who the heck uses a shotgun as a pry bar, hammer, etc …?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you even seen Idiocracy? ;)
“Everyone smiles with that invisible gun to their head.”

― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

The pointy part is now heading my way.

Was tempted to get a reproduction since they're relatively cheap. But they're also ugly to my eye. But originals are darn pricey now. $400 seem to be the new normal on the auction market.

Put the word out on gunboards. Got one offered at a price offfffffff $400. Got another offered with a reproduction scabbard for under half that. The reproduction scabbard is ugly, but I've got anoriginal British patter scabbard that has no blade to go in it. So problem solved.

Not my pictures, but whatever I can my own when it gets here. Now I just need the parts to get made. I'm hitting the impatient part of waiting.
Screw communism