Top General Defends Studying Critical Race Theory In The Military

"The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Gen. Mark Milley, responded sharply to questions from Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., on Wednesday about the examination of critical race theory in the U.S. military."

Milley rips them a new one. Matt Gaetz looks like the demon from hell with his sunken eye balls.

So when Gen Milley thanks the member for his service he wasn't speaking to Gaetz, he was speaking to another member just to be clear.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/23/10095928 ... e-military
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Re: Top General Defends Studying Critical Race Theory In The Military

Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Mark Milley delivered a powerful defense of the military’s right to study critical race theory while speaking before Congress on Wednesday. In just under two minutes, Milley drew on history from the Civil War to the January 6th insurrection in explaining how important it is for members of the military to educate themselves on the ideas that are animating America.
Here are his remarks in full:

“I do think it’s important for those of us in uniform to be open-minded and be widely read. The United States Military Academy is a university. It is important that we train and we understand. I want to understand white rage — and I’m white. What is it that caused thousands of people to assault this building and try to overturn the Constitution of the United States of America? What caused that? I want to find that out. I want to maintain an open mind. I do want to analyze it. It’s important that we understand it. Our soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines, and guardians — they come from the American people. It’s important that the leaders, now and in the future, understand it. I’ve read Mao Zedong. I’ve read Karl Marx. I’ve read Lenin. That doesn’t make me a communist. So what is wrong with having some situational understanding about the country we are here to defend? I personally find it offensive that we are accusing the United States military — our general officers, our commissioned and non-commissioned — of being ‘woke’ or something else because we’re studying some theories that are out there while calling out those who have criticized military officials as “woke” for entertaining the theory based on the idea that systemic racism exists in America. [Critical race theory] was started at Harvard Law School years ago and proposed that there were laws in the United States prior to the Civil War that led to a power differential with African Americans that were three-quarters of a human being when this country was formed. We had a Civil War and an Emancipation Proclamation to change it. We brought it up in the Civil Rights Act. It took another 100 years to change that. I do want to know. I respect your service and we’re both Green Berets, but I want to know. It matters to the discipline and cohesion of this military.”
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... s-1188508/

A powerful rebuke to Gaetz and other Republicans on the House committee.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Sec. Austen basically told Gaetz he was full of shit and when Gaetz stupidly suggested the Secretary had a) an advisor who is a proponent of CRT and b) was only hearing what he wanted to hear, Austen not only defended ALL his advisors but suggested "perhaps" it was Gaetz who only hears what he wants to hear,

After that, Milley ripped Gaetz a new asshole yet again.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:30 am Sec. Austen basically told Gaetz he was full of shit and when Gaetz stupidly suggested the Secretary had a) an advisor who is a proponent of CRT and b) was only hearing what he wanted to hear, Austen not only defended ALL his advisors but suggested "perhaps" it was Gaetz who only hears what he wants to hear,

After that, Milley ripped Gaetz a new asshole yet again.
Good summary YT. I saw it live yesterday. I was like wow. He is the General who apologized after he walked out with Trump and Barr when they cleared the streets of protestors for dodo's bible photo op.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

I have to say, I do get concerned when political education is required in the US military. It's easy to interpret it as indoctrination whether it is or not. I don't envy the job of the generals in purging the military of extremists. It's going to be a very low morale few years for our military.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 am I have to say, I do get concerned when political education is required in the US military. It's easy to interpret it as indoctrination whether it is or not. I don't envy the job of the generals in purging the military of extremists. It's going to be a very low morale few years for our military.
Not from true patriots in the military. Unfortunately, there are way too many RWNs vs. sane.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

FrontSight wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:58 am I have to say, I do get concerned when political education is required in the US military. It's easy to interpret it as indoctrination whether it is or not. I don't envy the job of the generals in purging the military of extremists. It's going to be a very low morale few years for our military.
There is no 'political education' in the US military..at least not in the USN I was involved in from 1973 till 1993. In fact, good senior enlisted and commanders strive to be as 'a-political' as possible. There is the mission, lets accomplish the mission..the 'why we are doing it' seldom, if ever, came up.

That was a good speech. It’s refreshing to see intellectualism on display: the ability to study different theories and think critically on an issue. We notice the difference from folks like Gaetz -and the quasi-religious simpletons in the GOP- who truly view education as mere indoctrination rather than the practice of critical thinking for all citizens. There is a fundamental difference in worldview between those who live and defend democracy and others who pay lip service to it while believing in serfdom.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi