Stupid USCCA "Poll" on gun-owners biggest fear

USCCA sent me a single-question poll that had the most egregious set of options I've ever seen.

The question was "What is a legal gun owners' biggest fear?"

I forgot to write down the exact options, but they basically amounted to:

government over-regulation
weapons confiscation
variations of the above two fear-mongering options

There were no options for:
1. Weapon being stolen https://www.statista.com/statistics/457 ... -by-state/
2. Accidental shooting https://www.aftermath.com/content/accid ... tatistics/
3. Children getting access to unsecured weapons
4. Black and grey market sales https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/t ... der-debate
4. Anything remotely serious related to responsible weapon ownership . . .

What's the prevailing opinion here? What are your fears as a legal gun owner? What concerns do you have around gun ownership and the gun industry in general?

Re: Stupid USCCA "Poll" on gun-owners biggest fear

The biggest fear for me right now is unknowingly breaking a gun law, or prosecuted on the suspicion of it. The financial cost is huge even if I’m in the right, and the consequences are jail and permanent loss of firearm ownership.

In the distant second is the prospect of needing to use a gun in self defense, although I still much prefer having a gun if I need it.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

1 - through any series of events, that one of my arms takes innocent life
2 - or brings injury, suffering, or other harm to an innocent
3 - fails to defend lives and freedom if necessary
4 - must be used to defend lives and freedom when other defenses have failed

Restrictions or loss are far down that list. I don't even fear theft so long as it avoids any of the above. Otherwise, it's just property.

Where the pinch comes is #3. A lot of owners fear that restriction or loss of arms will inevitably result in that. Hence the poll. I think too many - not specifically anyone here, or I wouldn't be - are willing to accept death and injury among innocents so long as they can "cling to guns" as a hedge against #3. Failure of perspective.

My biggest fear is electronic combo lock on Cannon gun safe failure. Have had two "won't open" episodes and three "won't lock". Current lock third replacement and so far no problems.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

I agree with Stiff's points especially in states that are constantly enacting new guns laws. And then there are the many states that allow local preemption, it's tough not only living in those states but also traveling through them. And if you ever need to defend yourself or others and the DA clears you, there are still civil lawsuits that can bankrupt you.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Wino wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:36 am My biggest fear is electronic combo lock on Cannon gun safe failure. Have had two "won't open" episodes and three "won't lock". Current lock third replacement and so far no problems.
Thats why I got a manual one on my Liberty safe. I was thinking Biometric, but not available.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Government attacks on legal gun owners ("over regulation or confiscation or a variation of the two") are not fear mongering options to be honest. For nearly a hundred years now a certain political group on this country has been on the hunt for ways to disarm the civilian population. You might think that the NFA of '34 was "to protect the people" but more likely it was simply to protect government agents (local, state, and Federal) from mob activity. Politicians don't give a damn about "protecting the people" but are highly concerned with protecting themselves or their elite friends.

So, since us ordinary folks have been under attack from government regarding gun ownership, it would only be reasonable that that would be the main concern of most gun owners. It is not fear mongering. It is the way of politics in this day and age.

For me, the government making it difficult or impossible to own a gun would be at the top of the list. History shows that is their goal.

The other concerns:

Stolen....if one lives in a high crime area, then I guess that would be a concern. Like anything else take reasonable precautions.
Accident..taking care when handling a potentially dangerous object is simply a rule of operation; not something to fret over or be your biggest fear. If you are not confident in your ability to handle a firearm without accidents, then instead of that being your "biggest fear" perhaps firearms are not for you. And like any other potentially dangerous object ya need to keep them away from children unless they are old enough, educated, and supervised.

The idea that some folks are willing to accept death and destruction of innocents so they can "cling" to guns is nonsense.

I enjoy shooting for sport as much as you do. Don't give me that crap.

We all accept that innocents will and do die through the use or abuse of firearms, either through accident or malice. It is an irrefutable fact that if guns evaporated overnight, "gun violence" would disappear. Murder rates might not change, but accidental discharges sure would. So I don't get where it's nonsense. It's not going to happen, but that's basic logic 101. So we take reasonable steps to reduce the likelihood of accidental discharge or theft. We do what we can to prepare for the slim chance that we'll face malice - slim as it is - and hope that fate has our back if it does.

I fear many things far more than guns - but the question was narrowly tailored towards gun ownership. I'm confident enough with other arms that gun limitations are very, very low on my list of concerns.