Summer Starts Today (also Winter)

Today is the Summer Solstice, when the sun appears highest in the sky because the Earth is tilted at 23.5°.
It will occur approximately at 11:32 am EDT and 8:32 am PDT. Why do I say "approximately"? Because I cannot find, so far, the time to the exact second that the sun reaches its highest point.

Below the Equator, it is the Winter Solstice, and the sun is at its lowest point. For them, July and August are like our January and February, only 3 days longer.
December brides there are the thing, like June brides here. We went to a wedding for friends in Cape Town in December of 2009. It was spring there. At night the moon was "upside down" as was Orion, but the Southern Cross was visible. We had a wonderful time there and it was very beautiful.

Unfortunately, the marriage was doomed before it began. We're still friends with both, less with him, however, but still in touch. She re-married, much more happily, had a son who was VERY sick for a long time, and now is well, and then had twin boys, who are doing fine. He has not re-married, having had two bad marriages, and is always travelling as an executive chef for RC, before that for NCL.

Here, yesterday, it was in the mid-90s, and this morning I woke to 60°. Happy Summer, everyone!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Re: Summer Starts Today (also Winter)

Happy Summer YT ! Summer Solstice 2021, the longest day and then the days start getting shorter, Autumnal Equinox on September 22nd when day and night are equal lengths and Winter Solstice on December 21st the shortest day. And it starts all over again.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

For about a week around this day, the sunrise comes in through the little window on the front door and misses the living room door jamb, to land on the swinging door going into the kitchen, forming a line of sunlight on that door. For about a week or so. And of course the sun shines in my back door in the late afternoon. (Saying the quiet part out loud: I could shoot an arrow from the front sidewalk with all the doors open, through the house via a narrow arrow loop, and hit my target at the back fence if my wife would let me.)

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Here in So Cal where vaccination has caused a steep decline in coronavirus cases and society is opening back up, folks are shedding their masks to smile again in the Sun. It finally feels like it’s time to say, “Happy Summer, Everyone!”
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

We were crowded with touristas for Memorial weekend, I expect it will be crowded for the July 4th holiday. At chain supermarkets in my area, staff are still wearing masks and most customers. Today is the coolest day of the week and rain sprinkles are in the forecast but it's probably wrong. I agree with Bisbee, it's nice to see peoples faces again and smiles.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan