Re: What kind of rifle ammo is still somewhat available?

BastiColler, I would not recommend buying a rifle in an odd caliber just because it is available. While I have been able to find both 224 Valkyrie and 6.5x55 Swedish, they will run out soon. And ammo companies will not be replacing them any time soon. They will most likely try to replenish the best sellers. Just curious, is this your first rifle and are you new to shooting?

I would like to invite you to go to the 'New Member Intro' section and tell us a little about yourself.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

lurker wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:44 pm the ammo drought is waning, now is not the time to panic. i'm seeing .223 and .308 at not-too-bad prices online, and it will improve. after things settle down a bit, consider learning to reload something common that you can get components for.
Agree..saw .308 and 22LR at walmart. LOTS of 223 at Cabelas and Bass Pro. Also 7.62/39..Some still hoarding..not sure why anybody needs 10,000 rounds of 223/556...sky didn't fall. 'Might' be some GOPathetic/trump the traitor crap in August..so who knows.

I was in my nearest Cabela's today, and saw PILES of 5.56 Remington M855, a fair quantity of M193, a good pile of Herter's 5.56 and .223 (distinct different ammo), at ~$0.60-65 per round.

Since that covers the rifles I have, that's all I paid attention to, but their 12ga stuff is not scarce, and there was some other caliber rifle stuff on the shelf.

What is different is that it wasn't *just* on a cart they could wheel out and expect customers to empty the thing in an hour or so.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

I see 7.62 NATO, and 5.56 all over the place. 9mm is getting pretty easy to find. But I already have buckets of those. It's the other cartridges I'm constantly on the search for. .38 Special, .357 magnum, .30-30, .257 Roberts, .455 Webley, .45 Colt, .303 Brit, 6.5 Japanese, .30 Carbine. It will be nice when I can find those again.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

The Cabela's near me had a cart-load of 5.56 M855 recently. It had dwindled down a bit the last time I was there. They often have a few boxes of stuff I don't have anything to use (and so haven't tracked it to report it here), including Valkyrie and some Creedmore.

The Shoot Point Blank near me is doing better on availability, but at ludicrous-to-me pricing (sixty-five and seventy cents a round for 9mm 115gr FMJ? Pass--not paying more than thirty-eight cents a round these days).

I've recently started stocking .22LR, and have been astonished at the number of boxes I'm seeing on a shelf at 17 cents a round, 22 cents a round, and such. I know I'm not going to find good stuff at a nickel a round, and rarely at seven cents a round, so fourteen cents a round seems my personal threshold at the moment. I can go a few weeks with what I have, though, so...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

FrontSight wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:57 am I see 7.62 NATO, and 5.56 all over the place. 9mm is getting pretty easy to find. But I already have buckets of those. It's the other cartridges I'm constantly on the search for. .38 Special, .357 magnum, .30-30, .257 Roberts, .455 Webley, .45 Colt, .303 Brit, 6.5 Japanese, .30 Carbine. It will be nice when I can find those again.
I use ammoseek.com a lot. I've noticed that it changes a lot from day to day, so it is worth checking several times a day. Some places that have better prices gets ammo and sell out fairly quickly.
Old School
The best upgrade for you firearm is always instruction and practice.

I was just in Walmart. No one at the counter, hardly any ammo. They still have some rifles. A guy walked by and said Big 5 Sporting Goods just got in a huge shipment. So I grabbed 3 more boxes of 20ga, 2 in 7 shot and 2 target in 9 shot.
No .357 mag. But they did have .380 auto! Blazer .380 @ $34 for 50. Ouch. Had to grab one.
I mentioned in another thread I got 6 boxes of 20ga last night at Midway. Those appeared late afternoon and by morning they were all gone, 6 and 8 shot, no 7 shot, 3 box limit. All 20ga is runniing $11 to 13 a box.
Guess I'm good for now.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

FrontSight wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:50 pm That's not all that bad of a price for .380. Even before the Pandemic, that would be a $29.95 box of ammo. .380 just isn't all that cheap; I would have bought that.

My local clays range has 12 & 20ga target loads for $9.95. So when I go to shoot clays, I just buy the ammo there.
The Agulia competition/target was 12 bucks. It had a sticker on top of another sticker. Bottom sticker said $7.99! Gouge! Prolly shoulda grabbed several but wallet was getting thin.

I've been super low on .380 for a long time so I had to do it.

Big 5 got a lot of ammo, practically everything cept .357, 410 and 30-30 best I could tell. The nice lady gave me the skinny on when their ammo deliveries show up.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”