T Rex and 45-70

I just held a Henry 45-70 lever action. Gun store near work has two. $750. That was 4 days ago and my knees are still weak.

Probably the most impractical gun I could covet. Emptying the 4 round tube once would cost more than the wife and I spend on lunch when we go out.

Marlin used to advertise their 45-70 as effective for T Rex (they literally put it on their website). So, if anyone can help me out and let me know dinosaurs are making a comeback, I would have to get one. Until then, I'll probably just keep visiting the gun store and make blam blam noises until they ban me.

The Henry 22lr will have to do for now. Better on the shoulder anyway.

Re: T Rex and 45-70

cooper wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 10:31 am I just held a Henry 45-70 lever action. Gun store near work has two. $750. That was 4 days ago and my knees are still weak.

Probably the most impractical gun I could covet. Emptying the 4 round tube once would cost more than the wife and I spend on lunch when we go out.

Marlin used to advertise their 45-70 as effective for T Rex (they literally put it on their website). So, if anyone can help me out and let me know dinosaurs are making a comeback, I would have to get one. Until then, I'll probably just keep visiting the gun store and make blam blam noises until they ban me.

The Henry 22lr will have to do for now. Better on the shoulder anyway.
Apparently they make good pets who protec.

I really do love my .45-70. Not a lever, but built on a wrecked 1906 Siamese Mauser. Scary accurate.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

I like my early 2000’s vintage Marlin 1895G but I never shoot it any more for the same reason. I recall being appalled at the pre-Covid price of basic Remington 45-70 from Academy. I saved some of that brass when I did shoot it thinking if if I ever reload...

Is it even available? Saw some subsonic on midway at 3 bucks a rnd.

I wanted a 1895 in .405 cal. That stuff is unavailable anywhere and was running 4 bucks to $4.85 a rnd. No wonder I see so many for sale on gunbroker.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Definitely a hand loader cartridge. I’ll probably get into it eventually. These days, I do it “backwards.” When I am introducing a new reloading caliber, I go out and make sure I can procure everything - powder, primers, cases bullets, dies, molds, lead, etc. Hopefully there is some overlap on components from what calibers I already have. I research, then buy all this before I buy a new firearm caliber. Gives you a good idea of the total cost of ownership, if you are actually going to shoot it. I like to shoot quite a bit.

I recently got into .45 colt. I was $45 for the dies, $125 for the 500 cases, $45 for a mold. $105 for 1000 bullets, and $20 for some alloy ingots. Luckily, I had powder and primers on hand. Now I am set up to shoot 1500 rounds. For about .40/rd. (Just components) You won’t ever touch factory .45 colt at that value. This set up was unique to me that I actually had to buy cases from star-line. I’ve never had to buy cases before, and that makes reloads far cheaper subtracting the .25 per round per case.

I don’t know what the numbers for .45-70 are, but I would imagine a similar saving for a hand loader.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard say that the .22 Henry was good for taking down the mighty Tyrannosaurus Mouse. Don’t quote me on that though.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

There was a time when I felt a craving for a lever in 45-70. Fortunately the feeling has passed with other distractions.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

My father bought one of the first Marlin 1895 rifles in the early 1970s. He shot it a lot at targets, and carried it a lot hunting, but when he ran into game while hunting, he always had something else with him. About 2000, he got exasperated and told me to take it deer hunting. That Fall, I took it Deer hunting, and a nice button buck wandered past. At dense forest Whitetail hunting distances, factory .45-70 ammo is pleasant to shoot, the rifle is sufficiently accurate and powerful. Most of the factory ammo you will find has rather large hollow points in its jacketed bullets. The hollow points in factory loads don't expand at all. Penetration is incredible.

Marlin barrels are somewhat particular about what they'll shoot well, but their preferences have been generally worked out, and you can save a lot loading this caliber.