Harley-Davidson launches all-electric motorcycle brand 'LiveWire'

Harley-Davidson Inc (HOG.N) on Monday launched an all-electric motorcycle brand "LiveWire," the latest effort by the company to ramp up bets on the rapidly growing electric-vehicle market.

Named after Harley's first electric motorbike, which was unveiled in 2019, the "LiveWire" division is slated to launch its first branded motorcycle in July.

The company had said in February it would create a separate electric vehicle-focused division, as it aims to attract the next generation of younger and more environmentally conscious riders.

"We are seizing the opportunity to lead and define the market in EV," Chief Executive Officer Jochen Zeitz said in a statement on Monday.

"LiveWire also plans to innovate and develop technology that will be applicable to Harley-Davidson electric motorcycles in the future."
https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 021-05-10/

Will Harley-Davidson equip the electric cycles with a sub-woofer and Amp to make it sound like a real Harley? Can you picture an Electric Harley at Sturgis S.D. :roflmao:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Harley-Davidson launches all-electric motorcycle brand 'LiveWire'

In 2002 H-D worked with Porsche to develop what became the V-Rod, easily the fastest, best handling bike the orange and black had ever produced. While a V-Twin, it was 60° rather than 45°, water-cooled, and DOHC instead of push-rods, and 115 HP. While it lasted for 15 years, not that many Americans bought it--popularity was greater in Europe. But to the "let's be individualists all together" Sturgis crowd it was "What the Fuck is THAT???"

Recently the gang in Milwaukee has been marketing a similar engine, the Pan American that makes 150hp in a 500lb package. But since it's not a "classic" push-rod 45° -Twin I doubt it will be popular with the Sturgis gang, although the reviews are simply "WOW!" (For a Harley????) But will it sell?

Same with the electrics. As interesting and innovative as the Buells were, they weren't a good fit with the dealerships.

But....Harley has survived hard times before and come out thriving. Can they do it again?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Tough to say - Harley has a huge image problem going forward. I’m 40 and know a few guys around my age that own them, but don’t know of anyone younger who does. That “rugged individualist,” sturgis, “look at me” vibe that Harley & other brands marketed to so successfully to a large market segment of mid-life Boomers is big brand negative; as things stand now. I see them being a niche company going forward.

Both My dad & brother owned and rode motorcycles & my dad won’t touch one now at 70 - rides a bicycle for fitness - they both have hybrid & electric vehicles. Huge shift in attitudes & consumer behaviors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Llew wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:10 pm HD also pissed off a lot of their hardcore base over the years as well, who felt like they were forgotten in the desire to market to RUBs. (Who are, after all, the ones buying the newer bikes rather than restoring old Pans and Shovels.) Kind of eye opening to see Sonny Barger saying he bought a Victory instead.
Having been a rider for 45 years I remember when NO Harley owner didn't heavily modify their rides. But after the buy-back around 1979/1980, H-D saw a HUGE market in "Only genuine Harley accessories". Screamin' Eagle (or puking chicken!). Since H-D is a for-profit corporation, sales started ratcheting up, and, for nearly 40 years it was boom time as all the well-to-do doctors and dentists could play tough-guy masquerade. It was a FAR bigger market than the chopper guys. Now it's slowed down as we boomers have aged.

Who gives a flying fuck what Sonny Barger's opinion is on anything under the sun?
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:21 pm
Llew wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:10 pm HD also pissed off a lot of their hardcore base over the years as well, who felt like they were forgotten in the desire to market to RUBs. (Who are, after all, the ones buying the newer bikes rather than restoring old Pans and Shovels.) Kind of eye opening to see Sonny Barger saying he bought a Victory instead.
Having been a rider for 45 years I remember when NO Harley owner didn't heavily modify their rides. But after the buy-back around 1979/1980, H-D saw a HUGE market in "Only genuine Harley accessories". Screamin' Eagle (or puking chicken!). Since H-D is a for-profit corporation, sales started ratcheting up, and, for nearly 40 years it was boom time as all the well-to-do doctors and dentists could play tough-guy masquerade. It was a FAR bigger market than the chopper guys. Now it's slowed down as we boomers have aged.

Who gives a flying fuck what Sonny Barger's opinion is on anything under the sun?
My point was just that the old-time hardcore bikers said to hell with Harley.

I've owned two Harleys and a mid-Seventies Bonnie, but after one too many near misses I decided maybe my eyesight and skills meant it was time to retire the field. Mind you, I'd jump at the chance for another 60s-70s Trumper or Norton.
LGC #58559867
אבראהאדאברא
θέλημα Αγάπη

Llew wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:59 pm
YankeeTarheel wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:21 pm

My point was just that the old-time hardcore bikers said to hell with Harley.

I've owned two Harleys and a mid-Seventies Bonnie, but after one too many near misses I decided maybe my eyesight and skills meant it was time to retire the field. Mind you, I'd jump at the chance for another 60s-70s Trumper or Norton.
And H-D's response was "You're not where the MONEY is!" I can respect that.
I've only ridden one, a Sportster 45 on a tour in Southern Alaska. It handled like a decent mid-70's bike, but broke down 3 times.
Most of my bikes have been Yamahas, but that's not due particularly to brand loyalty but rather they had the bikes that fit me at the time.
'71 Suzuki T-250 (aka the X-6 Hustler) twin 2-stroke
'81 Yamaha 650 Maxim in-line 4
'91 Yamaha Venture Royale V-4 1300 -- detuned and upsized V-Max engine
'81 Yamaha XS 400 Parallel twin
2002 Yamaha FZ1 1000 in-line 4, with IPP Jet kit
2004 Yamaha FJR 1300 in-line 4, with IPP custom injector map

The Zook is in pieces in my shed, and I still have the FZ1 and FJR.