Minnesota Police Chief Resigns After Daunte Wright’s Killing

The Minnesota police chief who oversaw an officer who fatally shot a Black man during a traffic stop on Sunday has resigned.

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon stepped down on Tuesday, the city’s mayor announced.

Brooklyn Center police officer Kim Potter, who was placed on administrative leave after fatally shooting 20-year-old Daunte Wright during the traffic stop, also resigned.

Gannon said at a news conference on Monday that he believed Potter meant to fire a Taser stun gun at Wright, but shot him with her firearm instead.

Now-former Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon, seen at a press conference on Monday, said that he believes the officer who fatally shot Daunte Wright meant to fire a Taser at him.

Wright was pulled over for what authorities said was a traffic violation. During a struggle captured on police bodycam video, Potter, a 26-year veteran, draws a weapon and yells “Taser, Taser, Taser.” She fires one round, then cries, “Holy shit, I just shot him.”

“It is my belief that the officer had the intention to deploy their Taser, but instead shot Mr. Wright with a single bullet,” Gannon said at the news conference. “This appears to me, from what I viewed and the officer’s reaction in distress immediately after, that this was an accidental discharge that resulted in the tragic death of Mr. Wright.”

Tony Gruenig, a senior police commander, was named as Gannon’s replacement.

Gruenig said at Tuesday’s news conference that he had no immediate plans for reforms.

“I’ll work on a plan,” he said. “I can talk to the community members and see where they would like to, the direction they would like to go, but I was appointed the chief an hour ago. I don’t have a comprehensive strategy to look internally to look externally.”

The resignations follow the city council’s vote on Monday to fire City Manager Curt Boganey, who was in charge of police personnel. Mayor Mike Elliott’s office took over those duties.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/brooklyn ... a4194a8481

The town better have lots of Money because they will need it to pay for the civil suit.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Re: Minnesota Police Chief Resigns After Daunte Wright’s Killing

Heard on the radio that the DA said he'd decide by Tuesday how Potter will be charged. Potter resigned, she had 26 years on the force.

As I mentioned on the other thread there was a similar case in CA in 2009. Cop grabbed gun thinking it was his taser and killed a perp he had on the ground. He was convicted of involuntary manslaughter and got two years in prison.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:48 pm This one is fucking tragic. Kid is dead and cop will likely never get over having killed him. Training is critical. I don't know how you fuck up glock from taser.

One of the lessons here is, just like Floyd, the "crime" just simply should not lead to such escalation. Pick them up later. They aren't a threat and you know who they are.

Like high speed chases in metro areas, innocent people have been killed. TV stations in cities like LA send up their choppers and they follow the chase, it attracts viewers on TV, internet and mobiles.

Cops just carry too much stuff - weapon, mags, taser, mace, radio...
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Former Minnesota Police Officer To Be Charged In Death Of Daunte Wright

A Minneapolis-area police officer was arrested on Wednesday after she shot and killed Daunte Wright, 20, last weekend during a traffic stop, officials said.

Washington County Attorney Pete Orput said he plans to charge former Brooklyn Center officer Kim Potter with second-degree manslaughter. He is expected to release more information later Wednesday. The case was sent to the office to avoid a conflict of interest with the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office, which works closely with Brooklyn Center police on criminal cases, as first reported by KSTP-TV on Tuesday.

Potter was booked into Hennepin County Jail.

Potter fatally shot Wright on Sunday after pulling him over for a traffic violation. During a struggle captured on now-released body-cam video, she drew her service weapon and repeatedly yelled “Taser!” before shooting a single bullet in Wright’s chest.

Potter offered her resignation in a letter to city officials on Tuesday, saying it was “in the best interest of the community, the department, and my fellow officers if I resign immediately.” She had worked for the department for 26 years.

Brooklyn Center Police Chief Tim Gannon also stepped down on Tuesday. He said at a news conference the previous day that he thought Potter accidentally shot Wright with her firearm when she meant to use her Taser.

On Monday, the Brooklyn Center City Council voted to fire City Manager Curt Boganey, who was in charge of police personnel, and put Mayor Mike Elliott in charge of the police department. Elliott said Tuesday that he had asked Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz (D) to reassign Wright’s case to “ensure transparency and to continue building trust in our community.”

The police killing of Wright occurred while, several miles away in downtown Minneapolis, the trial continued for former police officer Derek Chauvin. He has been charged in the May 2020 death of George Floyd, a Black man.

Wright’s death has rekindled protests against racial injustice and police brutality that flared last summer after Floyd’s death.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/officer ... 452a14b160

Wonder if Derek Chauvin’s lawyer wants another cop case?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

While no doubt this was manslaughter, there are mitigating circumstances...

The kid was wanted for all of the following...

a) Aggravated Robbery.
b) He later violated his Aggravated Robbery bail and was again arrested for illegal concealed possession of a Ruger .45 (a misdemeanor in MN?) , and fleeing in a car.
c) At the time of this last incident, he was getting into a car where he might have had a weapon as the cops did know he had been previously arrested with the.45, and was attempting to flee again in a car, which would've risked many innocent lives.

The kid had a social media presence with gang sign pics, pics with cash and guns etc, typical gang banger fare.

https://meaww.com/daunte-wright-crimina ... h-weed-gun

The kid could've surrendered too, but obviously he wanted to try his luck with a second car chase.

That said, it was a negligent discharge so the cop deserves her charges, and will likely get a couple of years as that's what the guy in CA got, but not sure how much actual time she'll do?
Last edited by DJD100 on Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

A Minnesota prosecutor said Wednesday that he will charge a white former suburban Minneapolis police officer who fatally shot 20-year-old Black motorist Daunte Wright during a traffic stop, igniting days of unrest and clashes between protesters and police.

Kim Potter will be charged with second-degree manslaughter, Washington County Attorney Pete Orput said. The charge carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison.

The announcement came a day after Potter resigned from the Brooklyn Center Police Department, where she had served for 26 years. Police Chief Tim Gannon also resigned Tuesday.

Gannon had released Potter’s body camera video the day after the Sunday shooting. It showed her approaching Wright as he stood outside of his car as another officer was arresting him for an outstanding warrant. Police said he was pulled over for having expired registration tags.

As Wright struggles with police, Potter is hearing shouting “I’ll Tase you! I’ll Tase you! Taser! Taser! Taser!” before firing a single shot from her handgun.

Gannon has said he believed Potter mistakenly grabbed her gun when she was going for her Taser. However, protesters and Wright’s family members say there’s no excuse for the shooting and it shows how the justice system is tilted against Blacks, noting Wright was stopped for expired car registration and ended up dead.
https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/1 ... ist-481460

Ylatkit wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:43 pm None of what the kid was wanted for is relevant. Why he was stopped isn't relevant.
No, actually it is in that he was a wanted violent/resisting previously illegally armed criminal bent on at minimum a second illegal high-speed chase, who was driving a car with an expired registration. This certainly moves to the initial reason for the traffic stop, and the subsequent detainment/attempted arrest attempt once the driver's ID was discovered to have outstanding warrants.

So, the kid caused and deserved everything that was happening to him up until the cop pulled the wrong weapon and accidently/negligently, or intentionally shot him, which is currently charged as Manslaughter 2, though many courts in other areas have let cops off from using deadly force to stop perps from using cars as weapons or endangering innocents while fleeing during high-speed chases, so this case is wide open to legal interpretation (and plea bargining...) IMO.

In Plumhoff v. Rickard, a decision handed down on May 27, 2014, the United States Supreme
Court held that officers’ use of deadly force to terminate a dangerous car chase did not violate the
Fourth Amendment. The Court also held, in the alternative, that the officers were entitled to
"qualified immunity" because they did not violate any clearly established law.

I think we can see what the defense will be, accident/qualified immunity, plea it down etc...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch (in MN)...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... d_activity

Tell me how racism isn’t a problem with the police in this country. Explain to me how being a old white male confers one the privilege of threatening the lives of and beating officers (in the face, with a hammer!)while fleeing arrest that young black men do not earn and must pay for with their lives for trying.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:29 pm Meanwhile, back at the ranch (in MN)...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... d_activity

Tell me how racism isn’t a problem with the police in this country. Explain to me how being a old white male confers one the privilege of threatening the lives of and beating officers (in the face, with a hammer!)while fleeing arrest that young black men do not earn and must pay for with their lives for trying.
Racism is without a doubt a huge problem, and without a doubt deadly force would be justified against the moron in the truck in the video.