Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

1
The Biden administration is expected to nominate David Chipman, a former federal agent and adviser at the gun control group Giffords, to be director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

If confirmed, Chipman would be the agency’s first permanent director since 2015.

Two people familiar with the matter told The Associated Press that Chipman’s nomination is expected to be announced Thursday. The people could not discuss the matter publicly ahead of an official announcement and spoke to The AP on condition of anonymity.

Chipman is a retired ATF agent who has for years worked as a senior policy adviser at Giffords, which advocates to strengthen gun laws.

Chipman and a White House spokesman both declined to comment.
President Joe Biden will unveil a series of executive actions aimed at addressing gun violence on Thursday, according to a person familiar with the plans, delivering his first major action on gun control since taking office.

Biden is expected to announce tighter regulations requiring buyers of so-called “ghost guns” to undergo background checks. The homemade firearms — often assembled from parts and milled with a metal-cutting machine — often lack serial numbers used to trace them. It’s legal to build a gun in a home or a workshop and there is no federal requirement for a background check.

The president’s plans were previewed by a person familiar with the expected actions who was not authorized to publicly discuss them.

The president will be joined by Attorney General Merrick Garland at the event.

The ATF has not had a confirmed permanent director since 2015. It is currently run by Acting Director Regina Lombardo.
https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-gu ... 1616d40ebe
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

6
ZenArcade wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 pm Thanks Joe/Dems /s ... I'll remember your priorities at the ballot box. What a short (memorable) ride it's been.
They are doing a great job affirming everything I said before the election. Thanks joe showing I wasn't stupid, naïve and overreacting. I do regret being right, as I had deeply hoped you would find more important issues to take care of. Like universal healthcare, I know you didn't support it, but I had hoped I was wrong about you. I guess one can't teach an old dog new tricks or make a jackass drink even though they should.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

11
You know what, on second thought - the industry is going to be completely okay with this. They're probably pushing it. They don't want people fabbing their own guns at home, they want to sell 'em the bits. Requiring serial numbers and background checks is probably something they'll push the GOP to support - in exchange for something. Probably a ban on bump stocks paired with legislative clarity on pistol braces. "Bipartisan gun reform," they'll call it.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

12
DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:16 pm
featureless wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:23 pm Oh goodie. An anti-gun activists as the head of the ATF. Fuck.
Yep. He's the appeal-to-authority guy for Giffords.
I’ll leave to y’all’s imagination what I think of his authority.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

17
lurker wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:31 pm you think maybe, just maybe, that we've vested too much power in the executive branch, irrespective of party affiliation?
United States Constitution.

Article I, Section 1: All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and a House of Representatives.

And whatever the sitting President can get away with.
Damn Prevagen! All those years of drinking to forget, undone! Guess I''ll have to start all over.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

18
sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:04 pm
ZenArcade wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 pm Thanks Joe/Dems /s ... I'll remember your priorities at the ballot box. What a short (memorable) ride it's been.
They are doing a great job affirming everything I said before the election. Thanks joe showing I wasn't stupid, naïve and overreacting. I do regret being right, as I had deeply hoped you would find more important issues to take care of. Like universal healthcare, I know you didn't support it, but I had hoped I was wrong about you. I guess one can't teach an old dog new tricks or make a jackass drink even though they should.
Yup.

Fuck Biden. I won't vote for him under any circumstances. He doesn't care about the people of this country, only the people that paid for his positions on healthcare, guns, etc etc.

And no, I'm not voting Republican either.

A vote for a lesser evil is still a vote for evil, and we're seeing the ramifications of this now.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

19
NegativeApproach wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:04 pm
ZenArcade wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 pm Thanks Joe/Dems /s ... I'll remember your priorities at the ballot box. What a short (memorable) ride it's been.
They are doing a great job affirming everything I said before the election. Thanks joe showing I wasn't stupid, naïve and overreacting. I do regret being right, as I had deeply hoped you would find more important issues to take care of. Like universal healthcare, I know you didn't support it, but I had hoped I was wrong about you. I guess one can't teach an old dog new tricks or make a jackass drink even though they should.
Yup.

Fuck Biden. I won't vote for him under any circumstances. He doesn't care about the people of this country, only the people that paid for his positions on healthcare, guns, etc etc.

And no, I'm not voting Republican either.

A vote for a lesser evil is still a vote for evil, and we're seeing the ramifications of this now.
This system needs serious reform.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

20
sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 pm
NegativeApproach wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:04 pm
ZenArcade wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:30 pm Thanks Joe/Dems /s ... I'll remember your priorities at the ballot box. What a short (memorable) ride it's been.
They are doing a great job affirming everything I said before the election. Thanks joe showing I wasn't stupid, naïve and overreacting. I do regret being right, as I had deeply hoped you would find more important issues to take care of. Like universal healthcare, I know you didn't support it, but I had hoped I was wrong about you. I guess one can't teach an old dog new tricks or make a jackass drink even though they should.
Yup.

Fuck Biden. I won't vote for him under any circumstances. He doesn't care about the people of this country, only the people that paid for his positions on healthcare, guns, etc etc.

And no, I'm not voting Republican either.

A vote for a lesser evil is still a vote for evil, and we're seeing the ramifications of this now.
This system needs serious reform.
It's not going to happen. The 2 parties have a complete stranglehold on the electoral process, and they're not giving up that control any time soon.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

21
This is all just so fucked. My choice was a tangerine tyrant or some old corporatist I knew would fuck gun owners but might do some good in the way of covid. Fuck me and fuck the dems. I'm so fucking done with them at the federal level. There is so much more important shit to get done and they're just tripping over themselves at the chance to fuck a civil right. My right to own the shit they're trying to ban was already fucked away by California dems. And just look at this gun homicide free utopia. Fuckers.

Sorry, done needed a vent.

And just to add a bit of fact to my fiction. Guess which states are usually neck and neck for 1st and 2nd place in the annual gun homicide race. Texas. And fucking California.
Last edited by featureless on Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

22
NegativeApproach wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:24 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:17 pm
NegativeApproach wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:13 pm
sikacz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:04 pm
They are doing a great job affirming everything I said before the election. Thanks joe showing I wasn't stupid, naïve and overreacting. I do regret being right, as I had deeply hoped you would find more important issues to take care of. Like universal healthcare, I know you didn't support it, but I had hoped I was wrong about you. I guess one can't teach an old dog new tricks or make a jackass drink even though they should.
Yup.

Fuck Biden. I won't vote for him under any circumstances. He doesn't care about the people of this country, only the people that paid for his positions on healthcare, guns, etc etc.

And no, I'm not voting Republican either.

A vote for a lesser evil is still a vote for evil, and we're seeing the ramifications of this now.
This system needs serious reform.
It's not going to happen. The 2 parties have a complete stranglehold on the electoral process, and they're not giving up that control any time soon.
Agree. The system still needs to be reformed. Not saying it will happen. However, if it doesn’t then any hope of democracy in any form is dead.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

23
featureless wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:03 pm This is all just so fucked. My choice was a tangerine tyrant or some old corporatist I knew would fuck gun owners but might do some good in the way of covid. Fuck me and fuck the dems. I'm so fucking done with them at the federal level. There is so much more important shit to get done and they're just tripping over themselves at the chance to fuck a civil right. My right to own the shit they're trying to ban was already fucked away by California dems. And just look at this gun homicide free utopia. Fuckers.

Sorry, done needed a vent.
Agree.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

24
This.
wings wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:22 pm You know what, on second thought - the industry is going to be completely okay with this. They're probably pushing it. They don't want people fabbing their own guns at home, they want to sell 'em the bits. Requiring serial numbers and background checks is probably something they'll push the GOP to support - in exchange for something. Probably a ban on bump stocks paired with legislative clarity on pistol braces. "Bipartisan gun reform," they'll call it.

Re: Biden to nominate David Chipman to head ATF and unveil executive actions

25
mcdev wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 pm This.
wings wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:22 pm You know what, on second thought - the industry is going to be completely okay with this. They're probably pushing it. They don't want people fabbing their own guns at home, they want to sell 'em the bits. Requiring serial numbers and background checks is probably something they'll push the GOP to support - in exchange for something. Probably a ban on bump stocks paired with legislative clarity on pistol braces. "Bipartisan gun reform," they'll call it.
It’s not going to help their bottom line if people can’t afford to buy their bits. I doubt this.
Image
Image

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron