Re: Pocket holsters for revolvers

I've never had a pistol fall out of a pocket while pocket carrying. I've used Remoras exclusively for that purpose - i highly recommend them - having had 4. I also use them in my cycling jersey for cycling and running to good effect. My issue is the exact opposite - I find pocket holsters to be so secure that they are inaccessible when seated.

I have, however, had a 1911 fall out of a Bladetech, OWB Kydex holster while seated at a restaurant. Luckily no one saw it but me. Lucky for me, I saw it. It was the type of holster with an adjustable retention screw, that obviously worked loose over time. I never trusted that holster again. Generally, I now go for a holster with a positive retention device. I find thumb-breaks to be the best of both worlds - fast, secure and relatively well protective of the pistol. Leather IWB seem to retain better as the belt provides tension, thus no need for a positive retention device.

YoungSportsman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:41 am
sikacz wrote:Most advice on pocket holsters seem to gravitate to if you have to draw, to re-holster take the holster out and put the gun back in the holster and then put the holster and gun back in the pocket. Makes sense to me. It wouldn’t be something I take out lightly anyway.
Yeah the only reason for that thing coming out better be pretty goddamn serious. Causally reholstering would be the least of your concerns.
I have to agree with this. A pocket revolver is the kind of thing to get you out of a really bad situation. Your immediate goal is to preserve your life so that you can get the hell out of there in one piece and hopefully unharmed. Pocket revolvers typically have five shots, so you've got to make 'em count. Worry about re-holstering later. If the holster comes out of the pocket and falls on the ground, screw it, you can get another one later. If it stays on the gun, yank it off and fire as needed; you can get another holster later.

BTW, a holster that just lets the gun plop right out when you lean back is not a good holster, in my view.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

onebohemian wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:57 am Bought this back in 2006. I can't remember the maker's name, even though he signed in cursive the inside. I think he was out of Michigan. Was pretty well known and sought after at the time, so maybe someone on this forum will help identify the maker. No idea if he's still making them. Is great because it stays in the pocket when drawing and the gun can be reholstered because the mouth stays open due to some sort of plastic or metal in the top (I think).

Edited to add: Found the maker and he's still around and going strong: https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

Mark
Minneapolis.
Thanks for this. I'm going to give one of his holsters a try. He says it's two weeks to make one, since he does 'em by hand. Hey, I like that--it's made in USA, by an American small business, and it's good to support those.

CowboyT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:25 am
onebohemian wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:57 am Bought this back in 2006. I can't remember the maker's name, even though he signed in cursive the inside. I think he was out of Michigan. Was pretty well known and sought after at the time, so maybe someone on this forum will help identify the maker. No idea if he's still making them. Is great because it stays in the pocket when drawing and the gun can be reholstered because the mouth stays open due to some sort of plastic or metal in the top (I think).

Edited to add: Found the maker and he's still around and going strong: https://mikaspocketholsters.com/

Mark
Minneapolis.
Thanks for this. I'm going to give one of his holsters a try. He says it's two weeks to make one, since he does 'em by hand. Hey, I like that--it's made in USA, by an American small business, and it's good to support those.
It does seem rather interesting too. It says it’s made out of moisture resistant material, not what that material is. Definitely on my list though.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Wino wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:42 am Remora is what I use as well as a DeSantis Nemesis https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003K7X75U?ta ... f=aa_scomp
I saw a DeSantis at the Academy, not in my revolvers size. There were no J-frame size holsters, all sold out. Not in a hurry, so I’ll look around. Might eventually have to order online.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

sikacz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:51 am
CowboyT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:25 am Thanks for this. I'm going to give one of his holsters a try. He says it's two weeks to make one, since he does 'em by hand. Hey, I like that--it's made in USA, by an American small business, and it's good to support those.
It does seem rather interesting too. It says it’s made out of moisture resistant material, not what that material is. Definitely on my list though.
Placed the order last night, Mika called me this morning. This guy's old-school and prefers to actually call his customers so they can ask him any questions or whatever. He also looks to impart some info on his holsters; apparently he's been doing this for quite a while. He said it'll take about 4-5 days in this case.

I like this guy's old-school way of doing business. He follows up with his customers, actually requests feedback about his product, and seems willing to stand by it if there's a problem. You don't see that so much anymore.

Will let you all know how it goes when it arrives.

BTW @onebohemian, Mika says thanks for the mention on this forum.

CowboyT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:16 pm
CowboyT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:25 am Thanks for this. I'm going to give one of his holsters a try. He says it's two weeks to make one, since he does 'em by hand. Hey, I like that--it's made in USA, by an American small business, and it's good to support those.
Placed the order last night, Mika called me this morning. This guy's old-school and prefers to actually call his customers so they can ask him any questions or whatever. He also looks to impart some info on his holsters; apparently he's been doing this for quite a while. He said it'll take about 4-5 days in this case.

I like this guy's old-school way of doing business. He follows up with his customers, actually requests feedback about his product, and seems willing to stand by it if there's a problem. You don't see that so much anymore.

Excellent. Looking forward to a review update.

F60B3E5E-D849-43B3-B4A7-E58B5491A7B9.jpeg
67317C7D-15CB-480F-8671-27CDB2920C18.jpeg
Went by a shooting range I visit, figured they would have holsters. The only one the had for a j-frame was a Uncle Mike’s. Bought it since it was cheap and I could start my holster drawer collection. It fits the gun and carries without much bother. Tried it the first time just walked outside to feed the next door office cats. It’s doable. It is not the best I can tell and drawing will require a little practice. It’s a start while I look into the other options. So now I have at least one easily concealable handgun with a holster.

"Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?" ― Mae West
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I prefer the DeSantis Nemesis for my pocket pistol (Bodyguard 380) because it has a tab under the trigger cover. It’s designed to snag the corner of your pocket during the draw.

The purpose of a pocket holster to me is to cover the trigger and to keep the gun in the right orientation. Retention is provided by the pocket; it has never been an issue to me because I only pocket carry in jeans. When I wear dress pants or khakis I prefer IWB.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Those uncle mikes are usually fairly inexpensive. As such, a little modification can be fun. Get some of that soft rubberized material that is meant to be put in the bottom of drawers to rest plates and cups on or under rugs to keep them from sliding on a wood floor, cut a piece the size of your new holster so it wraps all the way around on both sides, and then glue it on with some rubber cement under entire material or crazy glue on the corners and edges. It will cause the holster to cling much more to both sides of your pocket so it won’t come out when you draw the weapon. Good luck.
Mark

onebohemian wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:40 pm Those uncle mikes are usually fairly inexpensive. As such, a little modification can be fun. Get some of that soft rubberizedw material that is meant to be put in the bottom of drawers to rest plates and cups on or under rugs to keep them from sliding on a wood floor, cut a piece the size of your new holster so it wraps all the way around on both sides, and then glue it on with some rubber cement under entire material or crazy glue on the corners and edges. It will cause the holster to cling much more to both sides of your pocket so it won’t come out when you draw the weapon. Good luck.
As cheap as it was that is just what I plan to do, modify it. LoL.

Stiff wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 pm I prefer the DeSantis Nemesis for my pocket pistol (Bodyguard 380) because it has a tab under the trigger cover. It’s designed to snag the corner of your pocket during the draw.

The purpose of a pocket holster to me is to cover the trigger and to keep the gun in the right orientation. Retention is provided by the pocket; it has never been an issue to me because I only pocket carry in jeans. When I wear dress pants or khakis I prefer IWB.
Nemesis is excellent choice - also keeps pocket lint/droppings out of weapon along with orientation and trigger cover. I seldom pocket carry in my pants, regardless of type - jeans, cargo, shorts etal - but do use in jacket or vest pockets. One rule I go by for sure - nothing but gun/holster goes in the pocket - nothing else - no keys, no coins, pocket knife - no nothing. A good pocket holster has a rough cohesive outer and slick inner material. Nemesis has both + hook; Remora has the cohesive outer. Both great for pocket IMO.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

sikacz wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:37 pm
CowboyT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:16 pm

Excellent. Looking forward to a review update.
OK, got the holster. It is signed by Robert Mika on the inside. We talked, and he made the Ruger LCR version for me. It fits the LCR nicely, and once the holster is in your pocket, yeah, it stays there. It prints a bit less than the all-nylon-cloth holster that I had been using, which is a good thing. Concealed is supposed to mean just that, and generally, I prefer to be discreet. Since the holster has that stiffener in it, it does stay open, which make re-holstering very easy.

Now, getting the holster into the pocket can take a little doing, and that's for the same reason that it stays put in the pocket when you draw. Can't have one without the other; it's physics. But that doesn't matter to me, because the holster *does* fit into a standard Levi's-style jeans pocket (jeans pockets tend to be a little tight), and I don't mind a few extra seconds when I'm in the home and getting ready to go out. Dress slacks pockets are no problem.

Also gave the LCR version a try with Dad's S&W J-frame. This is now the wife's carry gun. The J-frame is just a little smaller in dimensions than the LCR. This LCR holster does just as well with the J-frame.

So, we have a holster that hides the gun's profile a bit better than some others I've used, which stays put in the pocket like it's supposed to, and makes reholstering easy. Oh, and it actually fits the gun. Mr. Mika does a good job, and like I said, he's old-school about customer service. Gotta like that.