Re: Found ammo available at good prices for today's climate

$.70 - $.75 for 9mm FMJ is a decent price in today's climate.

Anyone familiar with Giffen Goods, the Slutsky-Hicks Positive Demand Curve, or the Veblen Bandwagon Effect? Seems to me we're seeing the latter: Rather than rising prices in response to demand creating an equilibrium, instead we're seeing not just demand pushing prices, but as prices rise people are trying to buy before they go higher, pushing both demand and prices TOGETHER higher!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I have been on a shooting hiatus for almost a year now, so I was aware of the ammo shortage, but haven't had a need to replenish my stock. I just shake my head when I see the price of 9mm hovering close to $1 / round at some retailers. I still have a decent amount stored away from the run up to the 2016 election. Like everyone else, I sure wish I had bought more during the Turnip years when a box of 50 was close to $9. Wonder if we will ever see those kind of prices again.

And people would think before they killed somebody if a bullet cost five thousand dollars. ‘Man I would blow your fucking head off…if I could afford it.’ ‘I’m gonna get me another job, I’m going to start saving some money, and you’re a dead man. You’d better hope I can’t get no bullets on layaway.’So even if you get shot by a stray bullet, you wouldn't have to go to no doctor to get it taken out. Whoever shot you would take their bullet back, like "I believe you got my property.” - Chris Rock

Months ago I spoke to an Academy gun counter guy, he said their ammo shipments come in on Monday and Thursday. So I went, before opening to wait. A regular in line said Friday also. They had the available ammo up front and out of what they had I took a box of 9mm Luger and a box of 308. The Luger came to around 35 cents per round. Their prices are slightly higher than pre-panic, but livable. No 38 Special, but who knows, may be next time. The 308 is heavier grain that I would like, but close enough for a few shots and if nothing else good to trade.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
C8403B06-EC02-486D-8DA0-647EAD8ECE26.jpeg

I have two local go-to places for ammo, with occasional visits to a third: A Cabela's store, my favored local gun store (part of the Shoot Point Blank chain), and sometimes the Academy Sports store that is close to the SPB location.

Most of my bullets have been bought online, as I wanted to build up inventory, as local places have two- to five-box limits.

Since I wasn't buying ammunition two years ago, I missed out on the days of twenty-cents-per-round 9mm.

But I did score four boxes of bullets at Cabela's the other day at thirty cents a round. Another customer asked me whether the price was any good--clearly not someone who had been buying bullets within the last year. That customer had already grabbed their quota of boxes, and was happy at my response.

And I keep making the odd trip in at Academy, as they once had 200-round range boxes of Winchester 5.56 green tip at $95, limit three boxes per person per day. Online pricing was about sixty cents a round that week, so I sent my wife back in after I left...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Llew wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:05 pm Every time the local Dunham's gets a shipment, it's gone the same day (with the exception of some of the shotgun loads).
If you know which day the shipment comes in, go there a bit before the doors open. If you don’t know ask and they will most likely tell you.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.