Gun Safe Lighting

My initial search didn't give me quite the information I was seeking.

My gun safe is in a closet that is lit, but "well-experienced eyes" would like a bit more light inside the safe at times.

I found an LED set at Rural King, powered by six AA cells, and it's nice. For a couple days.

One would think that an LED light set would not be such a battery hog.

At first, I figured that the light set was on "auto" setting, and it was not turning off correctly. I moved the sensor farther from the door, switched to manual (wave a hand past the switch to toggle the lights on/off), and the new batteries lasted a day longer than before.

I saw a set at Cabela's for ten bucks, but it required the Liberty Safe wiring kit--another $45, if memory serves--and my safe doesn't appear to have the provisions for that (my safe is from American Security, purchased from a nearby locksmith company). I'm not in favor of compromising the safe's fire rating by poking new holes in it, but would like to find a light set that isn't so hungry with regard to battery life.

Ideas?
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Re: Gun Safe Lighting

How about an external spotlight that shines from one side into the door? Plug-in, no batteries, and you get one with a tight beam over your shoulder, goes right in the door and bounces around.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:53 pm How about an external spotlight that shines from one side into the door? Plug-in, no batteries, and you get one with a tight beam over your shoulder, goes right in the door and bounces around.

CDFingers
I could do that, but it would reduce access to clothing on the other side of this walk-in closet.

The closet is about six feet wide, and ten or twelve deep, with wall-mounted wire shelving that doubles as hanging rods on each side. The side where the safe is has one layer of shelving at six feet above the floor, and the other side has two layers of shelving (one at three or so feet, the other at six or seven feet). The door opens in to the closet (I didn't build this house...), and the safe is just far enough in that I don't have to close the closet door to get to it (but could, if I want to be more discreet).

I don't always need the light, but it's nice to have. The benefit of the existing system is that it's out of the way, even in use. The only real downside is the battery life.
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

Who woulda guessed those blue magnetic flashlights they gave away free at Harbor Freight now will cost you $4! Anyway, one of those stuck under a metal shelf in the safe would work for a quick & easy solution.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I have stuck a couple of these in strategic places inside the safe and they work great. 18 months on the same batteries and going. Easy to install with Command Strip like tape for the base and the light section is magnetic to the base for quick battery replacement. The motion detection works great. It makes you feel cool when you open the door and Ta Da.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0839 ... UTF8&psc=1
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.