What are you paying per round at the moment

Just curious what the going rate people are paying per round at the moment? I'm stocked enough at the moment but the last purchases I made were:
The last purchases I made over the past few months were .74/round (9mm 124g JHP), .55/round (9mm 115g FMJ). I've gotten some cheaper at the range but it's usually just one allowed box per session.

This is in the Washington, DC area, though most has been mail ordered.

Re: What are you paying per round at the moment

That's assuming you can find it. Living in Virginia, I am often in the Washington, DC area. Every Walmart that I've seen is bone-dry, not a cartridge to be found. There's a Cabela's about 25-30 miles west of Washington, DC, and they're pretty much bone-dry as well. Same for the Dick's Sporting Goods stores.

The range where I used to work has some ammo, but it's slim-pickens. It gets snapped up as quickly as they can get it in. They ration it just so people can come to the range and actually practice.

This is why reloading is so important. We shoot mostly .38 Special with a 105gr cast bullet. It costs us about 6 cents/round at present. With jacketed bullets, it'd be around 9 or 10 cents/round.

The .45 Colt, which we also enjoy, is a bit more expensive, at about 10 cents/round. The .45 ACP costs about the same. Both loadings use a 200gr LRNFP bullet.
"SF Liberal With A Gun + Free Software Advocate"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/

CowboyT wrote:That's assuming you can find it. Living in Virginia, I am often in the Washington, DC area. Every Walmart that I've seen is bone-dry, not a cartridge to be found. There's a Cabela's about 25-30 miles west of Washington, DC, and they're pretty much bone-dry as well. Same for the Dick's Sporting Goods stores.

The range where I used to work has some ammo, but it's slim-pickens. It gets snapped up as quickly as they can get it in. They ration it just so people can come to the range and actually practice.

This is why reloading is so important. We shoot mostly .38 Special with a 105gr cast bullet. It costs us about 6 cents/round at present. With jacketed bullets, it'd be around 9 or 10 cents/round.

The .45 Colt, which we also enjoy, is a bit more expensive, at about 10 cents/round. The .45 ACP costs about the same. Both loadings use a 200gr LRNFP bullet.
All of this may be the fulcrum I need to get off of my ass and get in to reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now's probably not the time to take up reloading. Accept that everything is in stupid demand at the moment. Buy the supplies once the market calms down, prep for the next panic.

My LGS isn't listing prices online anymore. Bodes poorly. When I stocked up in August, .45ACP ran me something like $18/50 for Federal FMJs, around .36/round. Colt ran .94/round for American Eagle JSPs. Have some S&B JHPs I picked up for .80/rd last spring, when they were last available.

Rimfire? I have a couple boxes of CCI Mini-mags left over from a fall sale at $7 for a 100 round box. I want to say Velocitors were going about .18/round back then. Last I saw a price on Mini-mags, they were charging Velocitor prices.

Reloading only works right now if you happened to stock up on primers last year... I have plenty of L / S rifle and large pistol, but I didn't decide to reload for 9mm until the panic had already hit so I literally have zero small pistol primers right now and a limited supply of mostly Magtech 9mm range ammo left in the safe. I don't want to admit how much I paid for it at Big 5, but I still felt lucky to even get 2 boxes.
Fortunately you can't really wear out snapcaps, so it's dryfire practice with the CZ75 for the foreseeable future and just a mag or two each time I take out the 1911.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

Last time I bought... CCI 9mm and Wolf 223 were about 20 cents/per round after shipping. 308 was 50 cents per round. 357 Sig was super expensive at 40 cents per round.

400 Round Case - 7.62x51 NATO Magtech 147 grain M80 Ball New Ammo - 762A - $191.60
1000 Round Case - 223 Rem 62 Grain FMJ Wolf WPA Steel Case Ammo Made by Barnaul - $199.90
1000 Round Case - 7.62x39 FMJ BT Golden Tiger 124 Grain Russian Ammo - $189.90
1000 round case - 380 ACP Federal American Eagle 95 grain FMJ Ammo AE380AP - $239.00
1000 round case - 45 Auto 230 grain FMJ CCI Blazer Brass Case Ammo - 5230 - $259.00
1000 round case - 9mm Luger CCI Blazer Brass 115 grain FMJ ammo 5200 - $199.80
1000 Round Case - 5.45x39 FMJ 59 Grain Golden Tiger Non-Corrosive New Production Ammo - $229.50

I won't pay today's prices until I run out.
Last edited by K9s on Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

DamnYankee wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:26 am
CowboyT wrote:That's assuming you can find it. Living in Virginia, I am often in the Washington, DC area. Every Walmart that I've seen is bone-dry, not a cartridge to be found. There's a Cabela's about 25-30 miles west of Washington, DC, and they're pretty much bone-dry as well. Same for the Dick's Sporting Goods stores.

All of this may be the fulcrum I need to get off of my ass and get in to reloading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I can help, let me know. The instructional videos are now back online, free to view and even download for your personal use, so have at it. That's what they're there for.

Crow wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:46 pm Reloading only works right now if you happened to stock up on primers last year... I have plenty of L / S rifle and large pistol, but I didn't decide to reload for 9mm until the panic had already hit so I literally have zero small pistol primers right now and a limited supply of mostly Magtech 9mm range ammo left in the safe. I don't want to admit how much I paid for it at Big 5, but I still felt lucky to even get 2 boxes.
Fortunately you can't really wear out snapcaps, so it's dryfire practice with the CZ75 for the foreseeable future and just a mag or two each time I take out the 1911.
-Crow
True, primers are a problem, especially small pistol. That's because the handgun rounds most used by the cops and military--that is, 9mm, .40 S&W, and .38 Special--are all small pistol primer cartridges.

Get started anyway, even if you have to pay somewhat stupid prices for components. This current panic reminds me of the ones in both 2009 and 2013. The important thing is to get started.

sig230 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:25 am Looks like 22LR is rapidly reappearing.
I see it online for many times the price it should be. Crap ammo for $0.25/rd that used to be $0.02 to $0.05 per round not long ago might be around. Any "in stock alert" I receive for decent stuff... I go there and it is already sold out and very overpriced.

I was able to backorder some CCI mini-mag for 16/rd with no idea when it would be fullfilled. After that last years-long 22LR drought, I thought it would be prudent to at least try.

I am not going to panic and pay panic prices for 22LR. I had none during the drought and had to pay $0.10/rd for CCI Mini-Mag when 22LR came back (I thought that was super high in 2015). I never thought this would happen again, so when prices drop again to reasonable levels, I will need to stock up.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

sig230 wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:36 pm The Federal Range Pack seems to be available in quite a few stores at $39-48.00. That works out to 6.5 cents a round including our local 8.25% sales tax.
OK That makes sense. Regional differences.

22LR is hoarded by the "buy everything when the doors open" crowd here. Even limiting purchases doesn't make it so that working people can get there in time. I have tried. However, the prices are stupid high. Probably because they know the same people are coming in and clearing it out every time they get stocked.

I am sure the hoarding/scalping will slow down eventually. I hope.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Eventually it will. It always has in the past.

However, it may be longer this time, because now we have gun-controllers running the House, Senate, and Oval Office. When they try any gun control legislation--and they've made it clear that they will--I think we'll see 2020 all over again, and for quite a long time. Remember what happened after the horrible Sandy Hook shooting, and the gun-controllers didn't have both chambers of Congress. Now they do.

lurker wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:49 am change of plans, burned some of my .223 reloads instead of .22. F this shortage. couple of people were whining loudly about dems in DC so i said "other shooters are buying up the ammo and causing this shortage".
Yeah, the shortage started in 2020, but they love to blame anyone but DJT for what DJT did.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt