Re: How’s the weather

CDFingers wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:04 am Dang, sika. Not normal for you folks. Hope no froze pipes. An m39 would be right at home.

CDFingers
Yep! A snow pic would be nice with the old gal, but my neighbors might freak out! LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

12F w/2-4" of fresh snow. Power company doing rolling blackouts for 10-20 min. none here so far. My outdoor faucets I left dripping quit dripping during 1 AM hour according to my Flume (no water usage - been showing .1 GPM since started). Jake left another turd deposit that melted thru snow and one yellow spot says he peed too. He was excited with snow after I pushed him out the door, but didn't waste time getting job done before wanting back in. Supposed to be in hi 20's all day. Sun coming out. Forecast colder tonight - single digits - any melt will be refrozen and supposed to start sleeting next day. No doubt I'll have burst faucets or pipe before this is over, so filled bathtub this morning so can at least flush toilet if have to turn water off. This shit isn't supposed to happen in SATX !! Is it OK to blame dumb donnie?? LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Dull here. Overcast, 29°, possible freezing rain. Up to 45° tomorrow and more rain. 33° Wed and some sun, sleet Thurs and rain Fri. Ugly but normal--a LITTLE warm for this time of year. FDT for that.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Wino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 am 12F w/2-4" of fresh snow. Power company doing rolling blackouts for 10-20 min. none here so far. My outdoor faucets I left dripping quit dripping during 1 AM hour according to my Flume (no water usage - been showing .1 GPM since started). Jake left another turd deposit that melted thru snow and one yellow spot says he peed too. He was excited with snow after I pushed him out the door, but didn't waste time getting job done before wanting back in. Supposed to be in hi 20's all day. Sun coming out. Forecast colder tonight - single digits - any melt will be refrozen and supposed to start sleeting next day. No doubt I'll have burst faucets or pipe before this is over, so filled bathtub this morning so can at least flush toilet if have to turn water off. This shit isn't supposed to happen in SATX !! Is it OK to blame dumb donnie?? LOL
If you have a few faucets open it might save your pipes. It’ll relieve pressure within the system.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

A little scissors work can turn an old sweatshirt into a nice dog jacket. Give the dog a few minutes to hit a snowbank.

We got a new thermometer just before the cold moved in. I think it gave up. Local weather report says -20F. Apparently no wind. But still better than N Minn. Report of -40F, air not wind chill. This afternoon, it's supposed to warm up to -8F, so I'll wait a while to run the dog.The sun is out now and it looks so nice and warm.

Sleet, frozen rain, ice are the big killers. People need to slow down, because even 4 wd doesn't help on ice when trying to turn with the brakes locked up or stop before you hit the car in front.

sikacz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:08 am
Wino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 am 12F w/2-4" of fresh snow. Power company doing rolling blackouts for 10-20 min. none here so far. My outdoor faucets I left dripping quit dripping during 1 AM hour according to my Flume (no water usage - been showing .1 GPM since started). Jake left another turd deposit that melted thru snow and one yellow spot says he peed too. He was excited with snow after I pushed him out the door, but didn't waste time getting job done before wanting back in. Supposed to be in hi 20's all day. Sun coming out. Forecast colder tonight - single digits - any melt will be refrozen and supposed to start sleeting next day. No doubt I'll have burst faucets or pipe before this is over, so filled bathtub this morning so can at least flush toilet if have to turn water off. This shit isn't supposed to happen in SATX !! Is it OK to blame dumb donnie?? LOL
If you have a few faucets open it might save your pipes. It’ll relieve pressure within the system.
Any outside taps should be left open but shut off indoors. Keeping water running slowly through any exposed pipes can help, and a hair dryer or heat lamp can thaw pipes before they burst. Probably too late for heated tape wraps. We have one bath the is over a (back) doorway that the pipes have frozen but luckily no burst. I put heat tape around them, then foam pipe insulation, then far more insulation under the pipes. I'm sure the cord for the tapes isn't code, but I don't need burst pipes, and I keep it plugged in all winter--they haven't frozen up since. In the spring I can unplug it.

Been delayed in getting our radiant heat going, and using the back-up furnace instead.

I'm surprised folks in Texas don't have oil burners, NG, or propane heat. Then you can power them with a generator, no problem--the electric just runs the controls and the fan--no heavy wattage like electric heat.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

The story made it across the Pond, "Why is Texas seeing Arctic temperatures?"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56058372

Even had frozen pipes in past years where I live, did foam and tape wrap. Learned the dripping tap and faucet technique when I lived in Montana. Probably the only good thing about the pandemic is everyone is probably stocked up on food and other essentials. Please stay safe folks!
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

lurker wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 am
cooper wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:38 am Stay safe Texas.
texas: "hey, y'all, hold my beer and watch this!"
coming up next, on the epic fail thread...
I was about to make a joke about shooting frozen pipes, but you beat me to it.
highdesert wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:46 am The story made it across the Pond, "Why is Texas seeing Arctic temperatures?"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56058372
So many folks told them not to vote red.

:roflmao:

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Apparently didn't drip enough as it quick dripping as stated about 1AM hour per monitor. Just tried to do a load of laundry - no go - water pipes in wall frozen approx. 6 ft. from water heater in garage closet. Wash room off kitchen on way to garage - outside wall on patio walkway to garage backdoor. Trying infra-red lamp on wall to heat up. Damn !!
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:06 am Apparently didn't drip enough as it quick dripping as stated about 1AM hour per monitor. Just tried to do a load of laundry - no go - water pipes in wall frozen approx. 6 ft. from water heater in garage closet. Wash room off kitchen on way to garage - outside wall on patio walkway to garage backdoor. Trying infra-red lamp on wall to heat up. Damn !!
Dang!

lurker wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:29 am
Wino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 am Is it OK to blame dumb donnie?? LOL
global warming.
I’ll still blame trumpie....and I’ll blame abbott. Texas has it’s own energy system, it should be state owned and it should have been developed to withstand any natural disaster.

sikacz wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:35 am
lurker wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:29 am
Wino wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 am Is it OK to blame dumb donnie?? LOL
global warming.
I’ll still blame trumpie....and I’ll blame abbott. Texas has it’s own energy system, it should be state owned and it should have been developed to withstand any natural disaster.
It has to be Abbott. If Donnie had his way, this ice storm would hit Georgia. Looks like we are getting a pass this time. THANK DOG!!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Whoops. Hope you find it soon.

Stay safe! (And warm.)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Lucky ours was a rolling. Still brought down from our upstairs storage our Finnish survival gear. Wool sweater, wool socks and wool mittens, no worries here for Finn Texans!

Also took out my Suunto for temperature readings.

Stay warm y’all!

Attachments
1808195C-D107-4CEC-B8DF-192D00B29AC4.jpeg
70723B16-D1D3-4E3F-AD51-DF0A0E101A53.jpeg

So far no power outages. We are on Denton Utilites a city owned utilities. They are 100% renewable and not part of ERCOT so we don't have the rolling blackouts.

I have had one frozen pipe that is connected to the master bedroom toilet and an outside hose bib on the west side of house. exposed to the worst wind. and cod. Even with faucet cover it froze. Will go out a little later and use a heat gun on the faucet if I get it thawed then more insulation under the faucet cover.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,