Re: How’s the weather

The Valley is still in an extreme drought condition. All the precipitation has been about 100 miles north of us except for our hurricane last season. But then all of our power also comes from north of us as well.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:05 am The Valley is still in an extreme drought condition. All the precipitation has been about 100 miles north of us except for our hurricane last season. But then all of our power also comes from north of us as well.
We're in drought areas. I wish we'd get more rain though preferably snow, but not too much rain in a desert flooding is the opposite side of the coin.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hiker wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:57 am Here in Kentucky there was a pretty bad ice storm Wednesday night. Everything has a 1/4" layer of ice on it.
The adjoining county had almost an inch of ice. I lost internet for about 24 hours. Most electric outages are localized in my county. Parts of Kentucky in Appalachia didn't fare so well. One county has a 100% outage.
Temps are going to be below freezing for about the next week. I am very worried about my water pipes. I've had the slow trickle going for 3 days now. We are expecting 8+ inches of snow on Monday, which, when added to the ice on tree limbs, could result in more outages.

power outage.png
Keep your COLD water faucets dripping day and night. That allows any ice to expand up the pipe without bursting the pipes. Our water pipes were not designed for this kind of cold.

If you have a heat gun and access to cold water pipes, warm them up when you can. Focus on the ones that are in outside walls. That will give you a sense of doing something, it will keep you moving around, and will help stave off burst pipes.

Keep warm. Stay hydrated. Stay fed. Keep your pipes from bursting. Help others.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

We have snow forecast later in the day followed by icy rain later. Of course 36 hours below freezing is also in the works. Fun times. In Finland I wouldn’t even think about this much. Buildings were designed to withstand temperatures many fold lower. Heating and electrical systems buried underground where weather could not interfere. LoL. This is going to be the first time in 30 plus years that Houston dips below freezing for long periods and 126 years since a similar event. Stay safe y’all. I’m going to dig out my winter clothes. LoL.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

The Great Blizzard of '04:

We are expecting something over 24 hours at freezing or below with possible rain. Snow's unlikely this year but sleet & freezing rain almost a certainty.

Love my generator!
Last edited by sig230 on Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim

SW Wisconsin -4 with -20 while doing outdoor chores. The sheep don't even come out of their shelters until they see the hay on a day like this. We're in a valley, so it actually didn't feel that windy. Top of the ridge is probably miserable. Dog didn't want to come in. This is when coffee tastes best.

Seriously, we're good here. Like I said before, I'm more worried about Southern states when it gets cold. They're just not set up for it. Stay safe all.

sig230 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:40 am The Great Blizzard of '04:

We are expecting something over 24 hours at freezing or below with possible rain. Snow's unlikely this year but sleet & freezing rain almost a certainty.

Love my generator!
Keep warm. Generator would be nice unfortunately it is not possible to stick one in my townhouse, no yard and the electrical is out front by the street with a zero plot line. I doubt the city would ok it even if I designed an enclosure for it. LoL. Times like this I wish this place had a bit more frontage.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I'm hoping it's money well wasted. But they have already opened the shelters and are giving out space heaters since many homes down here simply don't have heating.
jim

Jake the Boxer went out on front porch and made a u-turn back into house, I think or hope he decided to just pucker up a bit longer. Since weather bad he's potted on caged porch. So have some frozen dog shit to scoop on one end, but no hose to rinse off. Supposed to be 8F Tuesday morning. Just reschedule cardiologist appt. for that morning.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

NW Minnesota. Cold. Like bonechill cold for February. Was down to -26 F this morning, with wind chills almost 40 below. Not fit for man nor beast. Another cold one tomorrow, then we see some respite.

Last time we were above 0F was Friday, February 5th.

Our move to FL is happening this year.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

60 above zero:
Floridians turn on the heat.
People in Minnesota plant gardens.

50 above zero:
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Duluth sunbathe.

20 above zero:
Floridians use coats, thermal underwear, gloves, wool hats.
People in Minnesota throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero:
New York landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Minnesota have the last cookout before it gets cold.
**Twin Cities window washers show up five minutes early, add antifreeze to cleaning solution (true ”

Zero:
People in Miami all die.
Minnesotans close the windows.

25 below zero:
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Minnesota are selling cookies door to door.

460 below zero:
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale.)
People in Minnesota start saying . . . “Cold ’nuff fer ya?”

500 below zero:
Hell freezes over.
Minnesota public schools will open 2 hours late.

UFF DA

Well it is a little cold. Temp on my weather station 10.0F wind chill 1.9F Snowing at present expecting up to 6-8 inches by morning with more on Wednesday. Already the Utilites are telling people to conserve the use of electricity and gas.

My Tibetan Terrier is loving the snow and cold wants to go out and run and play in it. But that dog breed is from Tibet and is well suited for the kind of weather.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

They are calling for freezing rain and sleet to extend down south of the river over night. While it's serious on this side of the river it can be catostrophic on the other side.
jim

Two short power outages overnight; one at 11:49pm CT and the other at 3:45am.

Generator worked but the smart lights came on so I woke up the first time. I turned them off manually so slept through the second outage. Only knew about it because there was a text message on my phone when the cats woke me up.
jim