Re: How’s the weather

Storms are all gone, this last one wasn't as bad as the one last week. Still the San Bernardino Mountains got 2-3 feet of snow. That will attract the crazy drivers from LA LA Land this weekend, good business for the tow truck companies.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

In a bulletin published Saturday, the National Weather Service warned of a “relentless parade of cyclones” barreling out of the Pacific toward California, which was expected to intensify the risk of flooding in some parts of the state this week. The first of five approaching atmospheric rivers — a stream of storms that will continue until about Jan. 19 — arrived this weekend. Heavy rain and mountain snow began late Friday night in Northern California and spread to Central California on Saturday, with some parts of the state expecting more than a foot of snow through early Sunday.
The deluge will continue, Michael Anderson, state climatologist for the Department of Water Resources, said in a briefing Saturday evening. “Monday and Tuesday is the second of five more storms and also the one that has our largest concerns right now,” Anderson said. The “warmer, wetter and stronger” storm arriving Monday was forecast to dump 2 to 4 inches of rain on the Sacramento Valley and 3 to 7 inches on foothill and mountain areas, Hand said.

Hand said this system would be “particularly concerning,” as soils remain saturated and rivers and creeks overflowing from this week’s rainfall. The weather service has issued a flood watch for much of the interior Northern California area starting midnight Saturday and continuing through Wednesday afternoon, she said. The Sierra will see heavy snowfall starting Saturday night, which, combined with strong southerly winds, could create “near-whiteout conditions” in the mountains, Hand said.
Another risk is that trees — dampened by rain and tenuously anchored in wet soil — could topple, knocking out power and even crushing people, King said, pointing to a fallen redwood in Occidental that killed a toddler Wednesday. A woman was killed by a falling tree Saturday in Sacramento, the Sacramento Fire Department reported. In Southern California, Saturday marked “really the last day of quiet weather for some time,” with clear skies and temperatures in the mid-60s, said Robbie Munroe, a meteorologist for the National Weather Service in Oxnard.
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... california

With saturated soil, many of those beautiful homes perched on the California coast will start sliding or at least have cracked foundations or slabs.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:23 pm Cool clear beautiful day.
Same in SATX. We dodged all the bad weather on front last night - south and east catching hell. Sadly we didn't get any rain, either. 2022 was second driest year since records started plus was hottest year ever.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:39 pm Same in SATX. We dodged all the bad weather on front last night - south and east catching hell. Sadly we didn't get any rain, either. 2022 was second driest year since records started plus was hottest year ever.
I was a young kid back in the great drought of the 1950s. It was so bad our back yard was almost unsafe to walk in due to the crack in the earth for no water. I dropped a toy hammer and it went into a crack and my dad could not find it in the crack. The drought broke in 1957with two weeks of rain while we were getting ready to move to Kansas as Dad had been transferred to Forbes AFB. Later friends wrote mom and dad about the flooding they had in Fort Worth from all the rain. Benbrook lake in Fort Worth had been completed in 1954 as a flood control lake to prevent the flooding that Fort Worth saw in 1949. In 1957 with the heavy rain the Corp of Engineers was worried the new earthen damn would not hold and they were unable to release much water, it did hold. Here it seems we have ether feast or famine with rain.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Utah's Great Salt Lake Could Dry Up Within 5 Years, Scientists Warn

Utah’s Great Salt Lake, the largest saltwater lake in the Western hemisphere, could dry up completely within five years if water consumption is not significantly curbed, researchers warn.

“The lake’s ecosystem is not only on the edge of collapse. It is collapsing,” Benjamin Abbott, a professor of ecology at Brigham Young University and the lead author of a new report on the lake, told CNN. “The choices we make over the next few months will affect our state and ecosystems throughout the West for decades to come.”

The lake’s levels have been at record lows for two years in a row. If the water continues to drop at the same rate that it has since 2020, “the lake as we know it is on track to disappear in five years,” the report states.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/great-sa ... e15067fe41

The snowpack this year is better than it has been but the Great Salt Lake is having the same issues as Lake Mead. People are using more of the water from the watershed due to the lack of rain and reduced snowpack in previous years. At least that is what my SIL and her husband state. They live in North Logan, Utah and both have PhDs in Environmental science.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:10 pm
Wino wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:39 pm Same in SATX. We dodged all the bad weather on front last night - south and east catching hell. Sadly we didn't get any rain, either. 2022 was second driest year since records started plus was hottest year ever.
I was a young kid back in the great drought of the 1950s. It was so bad our back yard was almost unsafe to walk in due to the crack in the earth for no water. I dropped a toy hammer and it went into a crack and my dad could not find it in the crack. The drought broke in 1957with two weeks of rain while we were getting ready to move to Kansas as Dad had been transferred to Forbes AFB. Later friends wrote mom and dad about the flooding they had in Fort Worth from all the rain. Benbrook lake in Fort Worth had been completed in 1954 as a flood control lake to prevent the flooding that Fort Worth saw in 1949. In 1957 with the heavy rain the Corp of Engineers was worried the new earthen damn would not hold and they were unable to release much water, it did hold. Here it seems we have ether feast or famine with rain.
Drought had been going on for some years during that era.. My Dad's company built AMCO (Alamo Machine & Manufacturing Co.) spudders (cable water well drills) which sold like hotcakes (or street tacos) in Mexico. He passed in 1950 and his partners pitched my Mom out the door of corp.
Whist visiting kinfolk in White Settlement in 50's I fell down on Benbrook Dam and split back of head open. Near all my uncles and older brother all worked for Convair during the B58 Hustler era, XC99 et al.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:31 pm
Drought had been going on for some years during that era.. My Dad's company built AMCO (Alamo Machine & Manufacturing Co.) spudders (cable water well drills) which sold like hotcakes (or street tacos) in Mexico. He passed in 1950 and his partners pitched my Mom out the door of corp.
Whist visiting kinfolk in White Settlement in 50's I fell down on Benbrook Dam and split back of head open. Near all my uncles and older brother all worked for Convair during the B58 Hustler era, XC99 et al.
I grew up in Fort Worth except for a few years in Kansas and Little Rock with the Air Force. We first lived in west Fort Worth just north of the Benbrook traffic circle. Later in Benbrook. I vaguely remember the B-36 flying over our first house and the B-58 and B-52 over our house in Benbrook. After dad retired from the Air Force he eventually went to work at General Dynamics on the F-111 and finally retired from there during the F-16 production. While in the Air Force he was a Carswell AFB during the B-36 days with the 7th and 11th bomb wing. Later he was with the 43rd bomb wing with the B-58. His specialty was A&E. He was recruited by a retired general working for General Dynamics to go to work there. The General had been his commanding officer when dad was with the B-36.

The XC-99 a variation of the B-36. My mother’s brother (uncle) was a mess Sargent in the USAF and at one time was assigned to the XC-99 a the mess cook. It had a full galley, to be able to feed 400 military personnel, that are passengers. It was used to transport troops during the Korean War.

Goodness that's a huge plane. I had a B-36 model kit as a kid, but it was the bomber version. Blew it up with firecrackers, like with all the models we made. Paper routes gave us tremendous disposable income, and we disposed of it quite well.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Yup, that XC-99 was a behemoth, two levels on the inside for cargo or passengers.

When I was growing up in the Bay Area, all the aerospace industries were in Southern California, the Bay Area was a shipbuilding area. Suisun Bay held the reserve fleet of WWII ships, row after row. My dad grew up crewing yachts on Lake Michigan and he loved boats and ships. So even though he served in the Army in WWII and Korea, his fascination for ships never went away. Whenever there were US or British or French or other allied ships in San Francisco Bay and they were open to the public, we toured them. Battleships, cruisers, frigates, destroyers...

CDFingers wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:46 am Goodness that's a huge plane. I had a B-36 model kit as a kid, but it was the bomber version. Blew it up with firecrackers, like with all the models we made. Paper routes gave us tremendous disposable income, and we disposed of it quite well.

CDFingers
It was listed for years as the largest propeller aircraft built at that time.

It's warm, was 50F when I was walking this morning. The forecast is for rain, but so far nothing, maybe this storm will just pass over to AZ, NV, UT, CO.... Sacramento got hit yesterday, read that SMUD their publicly owned utility lost power for about 400,000 customers.

Stay safe guys !

A lot of wind and a new storm has rolled in, but no rain yet. The coast is being beaten but that's the price to pay for living with all those ocean views. Flooding and evacuations in Santa Barbara and Montecito. Montecito is home to many of Hollywood's wealthy.
Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres, Rob Lowe, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Katy Perry all have homes in Montecito. Ariana Grande also got married at her $6.75 million mansion in the neighborhood. But Lowe claimed that Markle and Prince Harry had "heightened the level of interest" in the town.
https://www.insider.com/what-its-like-t ... s-royals-2

I'm not feeling the pain of those wealthy residents of Montecito. I do for the family in SLO County whose 5 year old son was swept away in flood waters.

We are getting some small breaks between deluges. The creeks are up but no unusual overflows, and Lake Oroville is coming up. We're about 150 feet or so from the top. No extra releases yet. A water manager's challenge, that's for sure. Sad about folks being flooded out, lives lost, disruptions.

CDFingers

For us here in the northern Sacramento Valley, we're getting a needed break again. The foothills in burn scar areas are suffering. Our aquifers are not being recharged as well as back before humans because we made levies and so on that prevent large floodings that allow the recharge. But we have reservoirs, which will irrigate our crops. Trade off. Bike ride opportunity today after lunch. Will take advantage.

CDFingers