Re: How’s the weather

Lucky we don't have that problem down here. But with my luck using the flashing lights and sounds they would be doing a dance like at a Disco.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

It’s as warm as it’s going to get today. Probably about 15 hours of freezing coming up. Nothing spectacular by Finnish standards. I’m starting to feel alive! I remember when I moved back to Finland and was walking in -40 with my future wife I felt alive and refreshed! Perhaps it was her, but the colder the weather the more alive I feel. Makes one wonder why I live in Texas. LoL. Too old to move to UP.
01BB89E9-C12F-4144-9580-972A93ED8314.png
Stay warm y’all and stay off the roads! Get those skis out!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

First crack opened in unwatered dirt. Had to go around the front and water the violets which are blooming now. We remain in drought despite the beliefs of some Californians, so we should act like there's not much in the reservoirs, which is true. No rain in sight for ten days' forecast.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

4F burrrrr, reminds me of Montana. Below freezing here, but not that close to zero. February is normally our rainiest month, but is anything normal. Santa Ana Wind season which dries out everything, fuel for wildfires.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:16 am 4F burrrrr, reminds me of Montana. Below freezing here, but not that close to zero. February is normally our rainiest month, but is anything normal. Santa Ana Wind season which dries out everything, fuel for wildfires.
4F would indeed be cold in Houston. LoL. Luckily only C. I keep all my devices set in Celsius.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

Fuck Abbott and ERCOT!! Off and on power outages. Daughter (4 miles away home) no power since last night. Mine comes and goes. Had to break iced up mail box flag and door to place envelope inside. Ice cycles forming on bare limbs from misting rain. No ice in water buckets or on concrete - still too warm from yesterday. Expect 20-30 degree swings in temps for next 4-7 days. Jake won't go out to take a dump, so have to keep an eye on him. Only good thing - no snow to shovel!! LOL
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:39 am It’s as warm as it’s going to get today. Probably about 15 hours of freezing coming up. Nothing spectacular by Finnish standards. I’m starting to feel alive! I remember when I moved back to Finland and was walking in -40 with my future wife I felt alive and refreshed! Perhaps it was her, but the colder the weather the more alive I feel. Makes one wonder why I live in Texas. LoL. Too old to move to UP.

That warm , huh?

My heated bird and squirrel water bowl froze over last night.. Love it when the morning report is the high temp and the forecast shows dropping all day. On the other hand, the mosquitoes aren't much of a problem right now. Probably going to get some school closings due to wind chill. Todays kids got no staying power. A little wind and a few degrees below zero (F) and they don't want to go out. When I was a kid, if we complained about cold, Mom just said "dress warmer". Of course I have 5 brothers, so she had kids to spare.

DougB1946 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:19 am
sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:39 am It’s as warm as it’s going to get today. Probably about 15 hours of freezing coming up. Nothing spectacular by Finnish standards. I’m starting to feel alive! I remember when I moved back to Finland and was walking in -40 with my future wife I felt alive and refreshed! Perhaps it was her, but the colder the weather the more alive I feel. Makes one wonder why I live in Texas. LoL. Too old to move to UP.

That warm , huh?

My heated bird and squirrel water bowl froze over last night.. Love it when the morning report is the high temp and the forecast shows dropping all day. On the other hand, the mosquitoes aren't much of a problem right now. Probably going to get some school closings due to wind chill. Todays kids got no staying power. A little wind and a few degrees below zero (F) and they don't want to go out. When I was a kid, if we complained about cold, Mom just said "dress warmer". Of course I have 5 brothers, so she had kids to spare.
Near freezing temperatures and Houston freaks out. Dressing in layers is the simplest way. People are indeed spoiled.

sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:33 am
highdesert wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:16 am 4F burrrrr, reminds me of Montana. Below freezing here, but not that close to zero. February is normally our rainiest month, but is anything normal. Santa Ana Wind season which dries out everything, fuel for wildfires.
4F would indeed be cold in Houston. LoL. Luckily only C. I keep all my devices set in Celsius.

Ah, it's warmer in Houston than here. The tempering effects of being close to the Gulf.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Well we have the covering of ice and now it is snowing. Now just 20F with the snow. Still have power here due to our public utility is owned by the city of Denton and they have planned for such events. We have been totally on renewable energy sources for a number of years.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:07 am Well we have the covering of ice and now it is snowing. Now just 20F with the snow. Still have power here due to our public utility is owned by the city of Denton and they have planned for such events. We have been totally on renewable energy sources for a number of years.
Sounds like a better model than ERCOT.

sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:39 am
TrueTexan wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:07 am Well we have the covering of ice and now it is snowing. Now just 20F with the snow. Still have power here due to our public utility is owned by the city of Denton and they have planned for such events. We have been totally on renewable energy sources for a number of years.
Last February we had a power failure for about 20 minutes.

TrueTexan wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:41 am
sikacz wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:39 am
Last February we had a power failure for about 20 minutes.
Way better than us in Houston. We were without for several days with one brief power on.

Same here - SATX owns CPS Energy - still doesn't stop ERCOT from screwing with us. Last Feb almost four days no power.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Not only is it below freezing, it's also windy as F! This is like the fourth time we've gotten stuck between high/low pressure systems where the wind just howls.
It sounds like an old western ghost town in my house with the OOOOOOOOH sound coming through the doors.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:50 am Not only is it below freezing, it's also windy as F! This is like the fourth time we've gotten stuck between high/low pressure systems where the wind just howls.
It sounds like an old western ghost town in my house with the OOOOOOOOH sound coming through the doors.
Santa Ana Winds here, but not the usual warm winds this is a northern wind that is piercing cold.

We have sunshine today! :bananadance: But temps stay below 32F. looking for a warmer day tomorrow.

The message here is to expect dry conditions for the next twenty days. We can hope for a Miracle March, but we will be disappointed. April showers will have to be with a friend to save on water.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

We are above 32F for now will drop tonight below 32F with the water on roads to refreeze. But thawing tomorrow.