Re: How’s the weather

highdesert wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:29 am
cooper wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:52 pm About 3 inches of snow and still coming down pretty good. 25 degrees. Went out deer hunting for a few hours and just came in to sit by the fire and have a cup of coffee. And by hunting I mean walking up and down wooded hills in the perfectly quiet snow. Didn't even see deer tracks like I did yesterday. I'm sure they're all hunkered down to ride out the snow. It was so beautiful. No deer, but another successful hunt nonetheless

Sounds bucolic, though I'd need something stronger than coffee after a hike through the snowy woods.

Years ago when I was in Scotland, we stopped at a rural hotel for lunch. As we walked in I looked into a room with a large roaring fireplace, in front of it were two men sitting facing each other in high backed chairs. I assumed they just returned from hunting as their rifles were leaning against the fireplace and their dogs were lying at their feet. And of course they were drinking some of the "cratur" - whisky.
A shot of whisky in black coffee was my favorite after spending a lot of time out in the cold. I no longer drink, but that was warming through and through.

All the cars coming down out the hills wear thick blankets of snow on the roofs, and all corners near the bottom of hills have piles where snow has slid off and poofed onto the roadway. Neat.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Well we had to go see the snow with the young son. Not sure he was into it since he's back from Wisconsin for the holidays and has to go back to all that snow.
Forty minutes up the mountain to 9,000 ft from the Sonoran Desert valley below at 3,500 ft. Grabbed some grub, threw a couple snowballs and headed back down. heh heh Love it. Ski Valley, Mt. Lemmon AZ
Dang near froze and it was only 29F.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”
Attachments
Ski Valley.jpg
Ski Valley Mt. Lemmon.jpg
Ski Valley Mt Lemmon 1.jpg

A group of women watch a Secret Service dog and his handler doing a security sweep in front of the White House during a snow storm in Washington, DC.
A winter storm packing heavy snow blew into Washington DC on Monday, closing government offices and schools and grounding the president’s helicopter. As much as 10in of snow was forecast for the District of Columbia, northern Virginia and central Maryland through the afternoon.

The National Weather Service issued a winter storm warning for the area until 4pm ET. Wind gusts of up to 35mph were forecast and travel was expected to be very difficult because of the hazardous conditions, the weather service said.

“The timing of this isn’t great,” said NWS meteorologist David Roth. “For the DC area, it’s morning rush hour. At least for places to the north-east, it’ll be closer to midday.”
The snow grounded Joe Biden’s helicopter so he drove to the White House from Andrews Air Force Base in suburban Maryland after a weekend in Delaware. With snow blanketing the streets, the White House Press briefing was canceled, although Biden’s other public events were still on.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... orm-winter

It was 27F when I got up this morning, burr.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Variable. Cold, very cold, warm,sunny, cloudy, still, windy, snowing. Took the dog to the river park yesterday, and wrapped his sweater around him. Had enough layers on so I had a hard time walking. Today, it was cool when I left for the park, and 29F on the way home. Hard to dress right. 27F is warm. Looked at a spot on the river where ice fishermen had been. Lots of open water around the area. There are fish there, but I wouldn't eat anything out of the Minnesota river, and they are fishing on ice on moving water. EMS doesn't need the practice.

Southern KS weather is weird as heck. But I do not miss the Minnesota winters.

NYE was 65. Then it was 12 degrees by noon On Saturday. Back to 45 today with warmer temps tomorrow. Back to freezer by middle of the week.

Oh well. Not much snow and the Sub-Zero temps are rare and so is a ton of snowfall.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Unseasonably warm at night by twenty degrees with daytime highs within normal range. Only a few drops of rain in the ten day forecast, but we're still two inches above normal. Jan is usually dry, so we're hoping for Mar and Feb to fill us up.

Love the snow and cacti pics.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

We might hit mid 60s today, still in the 30s and 40s at night. Weather has a location context, we might not get below zero where I live, but during the summer 110-120 temps aren't rare.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

We had some snowflakes and 50 mph wind yesterday with highs in the low 30s. Suppose to start a warming trend today.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Today has been awesome. Kinda cold 38F mofn headed for hi 60's - sunny.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

PaulieG wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:30 pm It started snowing here in Pittsburgh around 6PM. There's 4" of snow on the ground already, expecting 8" by Monday afternoon.
Hell of a commute tomorrow morning for anyone going to work. Stay safe.