Re: How’s the weather

Yesterdays weather forecasts changed almost hourly, we did get some light rain starting in the evening and through the night. It's start and stop rain today on Christmas Eve, I have to go out later but I have all wheel drive so I'll make it out and back.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Been raining here since 5am steady. The forecast was for maybe a quarter inch, I got an inch in the gauge already.
Snowing on the mountain!
All the kids and grandchildren are here and a fire going. Life is beautiful!
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

More big ugly clouds are floating overhead, full of moisture heading northeast to Utah and Colorado. We're still getting some rain, it's very windy.

Next week an Artic Blast is forecast to come down from Canada, don't think it will come this far south.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport reached 81 degrees on Saturday, breaking a Christmas Day record for North Texas, according to the National Weather Service in Fort Worth. The previous mark was 80 degrees, set in 2016. (For the record, the all-time low was 18, in 1983. We easily cleared that.)

The official temperature at DFW climbed another tick by 3:30 p.m., hitting 82 degrees.
https://www.wfaa.com/article/weather/df ... bacc6f519d

Nice weather for Christmas Day.

39F here with another storm blowing in.

YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:29 pm Sucks. Cold, but not cold enough. Wet, humid. Joints hurt, allergies are going crazy. Getting old really fucking sucks!
We’ve been in the 80’s last few days. It’ll be in the high 70’s today. Send some of that cooler air here, we could use it!

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

That's very nice weather sika. It's 38F here and maybe we get to 50F today, the cold doesn't bother me because we have plenty of sunshine. I feel for those in below zero temps who haven't seen the sun for a long time, SAD on top of pandemic fatigue.

Interstate-80 the main West to East route in No Cal is closed due to snow storms in the Sierras.
Whiteout conditions have closed a 70-mile stretch of Interstate 80 in the Sierra as a blustery Christmas weekend storm dumps snow on the Tahoe area.

As of Sunday morning, I-80 remains closed from Colfax to the Nevada state line with no reopening in sight. To the north, State Route 49 is closed from Camptonville to Sierraville. Highway 50 is closed from Echo Summit to Meyers due to "multiple spinouts," Caltrans said.

Roads all over the Sierra are currently considered dangerous for drivers, with low visibility, high winds and snow. Even on roads that are not closed, Truckee and Tahoe fire departments have been reporting spinouts throughout the weekend. If you must take to the roads, chains are required.

"Wondering why I-80 is currently closed?" CHP Truckee tweeted on Christmas morning, accompanied by a video so snowy that no road could be discerned. "Here’s what I-80 looks like right now."
A winter storm warning is in effect throughout the Greater Lake Tahoe area until 1 a.m. Tuesday. Heavy snow and wind gusts up to 45 mph are forecast, with "widespread whiteout conditions."

"Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute. Very strong winds could cause extensive tree damage," the National Weather Service cautioned. "Roads and highways may be closed for extended periods of time."

The weather service says travel should be avoided if possible, as "you could be stuck in your vehicle for many hours." Those who must travel should "prepare for long delays and carry an emergency kit with extra food, water and clothing."
https://www.sfgate.com/renotahoe/articl ... 729309.php

I-40 and I-10 are open to the south.

Last edited by highdesert on Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

sikacz wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:14 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:29 pm Sucks. Cold, but not cold enough. Wet, humid. Joints hurt, allergies are going crazy. Getting old really fucking sucks!
We’ve been in the 80’s last few days. It’ll be in the high 70’s today. Send some of that cooler air here, we could use it!
Careful what you wish for, remember last February.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Echo Summit just opened up, so I'll be taking a trip over the summit in a couple of hours. Have to get my son to Sacramento to visit his mom. Should be a LONG drive at 25-30 mph for most of the way. Let's just hope it's a long and boring drive, I'm not interested in any excitement.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”

FrontSight wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:18 pm Echo Summit just opened up, so I'll be taking a trip over the summit in a couple of hours. Have to get my son to Sacramento to visit his mom. Should be a LONG drive at 25-30 mph for most of the way. Let's just hope it's a long and boring drive, I'm not interested in any excitement.
I feel for you, creeping along miles and miles. I've done it in the past.

featureless wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:13 pm We got a dusting of real snow. Pretty cool!

20211228_073616_copy_2268x3024.jpg

Very nice, it feels more like winter and Christmas. Got a light dusting here too, have to watch the driveway as it's still icy. A big storm blew through here yesterday and last night. Huge clouds heavy with precipitation, headed east/northeast. Reports said the Sierra's have 10 foot of snow, the San Bernardino Mountains close to me have 6 foot.

It is 75 and forecast high around 80. But by Sunday forecast high around 41. Typical North Texas winter weather.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

About 3 inches of snow and still coming down pretty good. 25 degrees. Went out deer hunting for a few hours and just came in to sit by the fire and have a cup of coffee. And by hunting I mean walking up and down wooded hills in the perfectly quiet snow. Didn't even see deer tracks like I did yesterday. I'm sure they're all hunkered down to ride out the snow. It was so beautiful. No deer, but another successful hunt nonetheless

This Year's Record-Breaking Climate Disasters Usher In A Horrific New Norma

This year’s devastating climate disasters, while breaking records, are only a glimpse at the worsening heat, fires, storms and floods expected in years to come.

Over the past year, we’ve seen the hottest July ever recorded on the planet (again), the largest ever single wildfire in California history (again), and deadly hurricanes and flooding along the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic coasts (again).

This year’s United Nations climate report repeated what similar reports have been saying for years, with even greater certainty: Humans are the “unequivocal” cause of climate change, and the window to avoid catastrophic living conditions worldwide due to global warming is rapidly closing.

“We’re looking at a long-term, undeniable trend,” said Astrid Caldas, a senior climate scientist at the Union of Concerned Scientists. She noted that the last seven years have been the hottest on record, adding, “Imagine what we’re in for if warming continues unabated.”

“Climate change is here now, and we need to act now to keep it in check.”

Climate experts have repeated calls to governments and corporations to reduce fossil fuel emissions to stave off the worst of the climate crisis’s effects.

The communities most vulnerable to climate change — including those going through slower recoveries after disasters — are disproportionately poor, Black and Latinx.

Here are some of this year’s historic climate disasters — which we can expect more of in the future.

In July, Earth’s hottest month ever recorded, temperatures soared above 100 degrees in California and the Pacific Northwest, causing hundreds to die from heat-related causes, with some of the victims being undocumented farmworkers.

“2021 once again highlights the narrative that it is no longer a ‘new normal’ but normal,” said Marshall Shepherd, director of the University of Georgia’s atmospheric sciences program. “The bigger concern now is the next phase — continued acceleration of the pace of such extremes.”

A report by the Adrienne-Arsht Rockefeller Foundation Resilience Center forecast that extreme heat could kill tens of thousands of Americans each year in the coming decades unless significant action is taken to combat the climate crisis. Nearly all U.S. counties will be affected by extreme heat in the coming years, disproportionately harming Black and Latinx people.

“The climate of the 20th Century — which society’s infrastructure was designed for — no longer exists.”

- Jeff Masters, meteorologist for Yale Climate Connections

In California — which is under a drought emergency after recording its driest year in nearly a century — wildfires have continued to worsen. This July, the Dixie fire in Northern California grew to the largest single fire in state history. Eight of the 10 largest fires in California history took place in just the last five years.

Only two fires in California history have ever crossed the Sierra Nevada — and both took place this year, just a month apart.

“There is fire activity in California that we have never seen before,” Thom Porter, chief of the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, said in August as the Caldor fire near Lake Tahoe showed an “unprecedented” spread of more than 20,000 acres in one day. “Every acre can and will burn in this state,” the Cal Fire chief warned.

This year was the third most active Atlantic hurricane season on record, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It was the first time that two hurricane seasons in a row had so many storms that the agency ran beyond its list of 21 storm names.

Hurricane Ida slammed into the Louisiana coast in September as a Category 4 storm, making it one of the strongest ever to make landfall in the state. It caused more than two dozen deaths in the state before moving to the Northeast, where its heavy rainfalls brought the first-ever flash flood emergency to New York City and caused at least 50 deaths in the area.

The previous month, floods in Tennessee killed at least 21 people and destroyed hundreds of homes. The following month, floods in Alabama killed at least four people, including a child.

In mid-December, Typhoon Rai slammed into the Philippines, leaving over 375 people dead and forcing hundreds of thousands to evacuate.

“Climate change is here now, and we need to act now to keep it in check.”

- Astrid Caldas, a senior climate scientist at the Union of Concerned Scientists

Conservation psychologist Susan Clayton said that “thanks to climate change, we can expect to see more of these ‘unusual’ climate events in the future,” adding that there will also be “increasing disparities, such that disadvantaged communities, who often live in areas that are more vulnerable to the effects of climate change, are more severely impacted.”

Jeff Masters, a meteorologist writing for Yale Climate Connections, echoed that “the extreme weather events of 2021 were a reminder that the climate of the 20th Century — which society’s infrastructure was designed for — no longer exists.”

The scientist urged governments to prepare for “more intense downpours, higher storm surges, and more intense droughts, heat waves, and fires,” adding that “above all, we must support the transition to a clean-energy economy and stop burning fossil fuels.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/climate ... f5793978de

The reason we are having all this weather problems is because Mother Nature caught COVID.

I've been paying federal flood insurance for thirty years. No flood ever has come near here, yet we're in a flood zone so must pay insurance. I'm starting to wonder whether it's going to pay off. We are two blocks from Little Chico Creek. It's never over topped its banks--but it's two blocks away. Right now it's good to get the water, but I've got my eye on the local scene.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

cooper wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:52 pm About 3 inches of snow and still coming down pretty good. 25 degrees. Went out deer hunting for a few hours and just came in to sit by the fire and have a cup of coffee. And by hunting I mean walking up and down wooded hills in the perfectly quiet snow. Didn't even see deer tracks like I did yesterday. I'm sure they're all hunkered down to ride out the snow. It was so beautiful. No deer, but another successful hunt nonetheless

Sounds bucolic, though I'd need something stronger than coffee after a hike through the snowy woods.

Years ago when I was in Scotland, we stopped at a rural hotel for lunch. As we walked in I looked into a room with a large roaring fireplace, in front of it were two men sitting facing each other in high backed chairs. I assumed they just returned from hunting as their rifles were leaning against the fireplace and their dogs were lying at their feet. And of course they were drinking some of the "cratur" - whisky.

CDFingers wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:26 am I've been paying federal flood insurance for thirty years. No flood ever has come near here, yet we're in a flood zone so must pay insurance. I'm starting to wonder whether it's going to pay off. We are two blocks from Little Chico Creek. It's never over topped its banks--but it's two blocks away. Right now it's good to get the water, but I've got my eye on the local scene.

CDFingers

You've got a lot of burn areas up there and they are prime areas for flooding. If the creek rises, sandbags might be a good investment to stack around entrances to your home.

67 degrees in Alaska? Climate change continues to topple temperature records.

On Sunday, the temperature in Kodiak, Alaska, hit 67 degrees Fahrenheit, setting a December record-high for a state that has become used to them as climate change continues to rewrite history.

The temperature readings in Kodiak did not merely edge out some previous record by a degree or two; the 65 degrees reported at the airport was 20 degrees higher than the previous high temperature record of 45 degrees set on Dec. 26, 1984, the National Weather Service reported.

According to the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, Alaska is warming faster than any other U.S. state and twice as quickly as the global average since the middle of the 20th century.

“Alaska’s Changing Environment notes that, since 2014, there have been 5 to 30 times more record-high temperatures set than record lows,” the NOAA said on its website.

A 2019 analysis by the Associated Press found that new global high temperature records were outpacing new low records by a ratio of 2 to 1. That finding was corroborated by the Environmental Protection Agency.

“If the climate were completely stable, one might expect to see highs and lows each accounting for about 50 percent of the records set. Since the 1970s, however, record-setting daily high temperatures have become more common than record lows across the United States,” the EPA said on its website. “The decade from 2000 to 2009 had twice as many record highs as record lows.”

Other studies have confirmed that, as global temperatures continue to rise, the ratio will continue to grow in the coming years as humans continue to pump greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

While many locations in Alaska set record-low temperatures in November, it is the ratio that will help decide where 2021 will ultimately rank in terms of warmer overall temperatures.
https://news.yahoo.com/67-degrees-in-al ... 05514.html

See what happens when we piss off Mother Nature. BTW last Sunday we had a high temp of 76 degrees.

highdesert wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:57 am
CDFingers wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:26 am I've been paying federal flood insurance for thirty years. No flood ever has come near here, yet we're in a flood zone so must pay insurance. I'm starting to wonder whether it's going to pay off. We are two blocks from Little Chico Creek. It's never over topped its banks--but it's two blocks away. Right now it's good to get the water, but I've got my eye on the local scene.

CDFingers

You've got a lot of burn areas up there and they are prime areas for flooding. If the creek rises, sandbags might be a good investment to stack around entrances to your home.
For us here in the town of Chico there is little chance of any flooding of substance. We had rains right after the Camp Fire and the areas of flood are clearly known. What might be of interest is to study the Great Flood of 1862, where atmospheric rivers and gold fever gave California an inland sea for a while.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Flood_of_1862
Even then, Chico did not suffer much more than some mud. We're uphill of most trouble areas at the monumental altitude of about 200 feet. It's those below seventy are in trouble in really wet weather, quite downstream from us. So far we're just above normal rainfall for this time of year.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack