Re: How’s the weather

Large amplitude swings during the change from winter to spring. Not really normal. Had 90 last week and a freeze warning last night. No freeze here, but I covered the Jade trees just to make sure. Roses are thirsty.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

CDFingers wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:37 pm Large amplitude swings during the change from winter to spring. Not really normal. Had 90 last week and a freeze warning last night. No freeze here, but I covered the Jade trees just to make sure. Roses are thirsty.

CDFingers
Nope, not really normal. We had the same swing. Put potted plants in the garage last night just in case.

And as an example of the utter stupidity that is increasingly the norm was the report that twits on twitter that are upset about fuel prices are suggesting that on the 26th of April everyone shut all the power off at 7pm for ten minutes and the bring it all back online at the same time to disrupt the grid. The idea is to create a series of hourly surges over a period of 24 hours.

What's really scary is that almost universally we have let maintenance, upkeep and excess capability decrease so far that even something as stupid as that might work.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

SATX is chasing you, 100F / 18% RH on my patio; official 102F. I expect we will see some brown outs if not blackouts. Way too early for this heat.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:09 pm SATX is chasing you, 100F / 18% RH on my patio; official 102F. I expect we will see some brown outs if not blackouts. Way too early for this heat.
But this morning it was 46F in North Tx with a forecast hight of 75F
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Nice and cool around 70, sweet breeze, nights mid 50's. Such deceptions keep us hoping our climate strategies are the correct ones. Roses going nuts: red, yellow, white, purple, lavender. One bush was already here when we bought in 1992, and it has the richest fragrance.

Teased by less than .2 in rain. The threat of the next storm bringing DOUBLE that keeps us all hoping.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Cool down here too, 30F to 40F at night and 60F to 70F during the day. The coast has had an off shore flow which keeps our weather cool without their fog. Beautiful walking weather so I'm out early with the dog walkers.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

More than 70 million are under heat warnings and advisories on Saturday through early next week as a potent heat dome sends temperatures soaring to levels the National Weather Service is calling "potentially deadly." The heat wave, made worse by a long-term, climate change-influenced drought, shows signs of eventually swelling into the middle of the country and then eastward through next week.
Heat advisories blanket nearly the entire state of Texas and Oklahoma, and extend as far east as Tennessee. These advisories and a more serious warning, known as an excessive heat warning, also are in place all the way to the West Coast, with triple-digit heat roasting California's Central Valley. Daily temperature records already have been set beginning Friday, and more are likely to fall Saturday and beyond. Overall, temperature departures from average during this heat wave are about 10 to 20°F or more above normal for this time of year. Friday's record highs included:

109°F: Las Vegas.
123°F: Death Valley, Calif., where the hottest temperature in the world was recorded. This was one of the earliest 123-degree readings ever recorded in the U.S., tweeted weather historian Maximiliano Herrera.
113°F: Phoenix.
103°F: Austin.
100°F: Albuquerque
98°F: Houston

High temperatures in the Southwest are likely to peak Saturday and Sunday, before the core of the high-pressure area, or heat dome, shifts eastward and parks itself over the Tennessee River Valley.
https://www.axios.com/2022/06/11/heat-w ... as-arizona

And the drought goes on.
https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu

It was 106F here yesterday, predicted to be in the mid 90Fs today due to the off shore flow on the coast. Temps move back up mid week. An early hot and very dry summer.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Yesterday sucked. 119F @ 1400 hrs.

June usually sucks anyway. Our Summers are not a lot hotter, just longer at the extreme temps.

No rain to cool things off a bit yet, but usually that is a Monsoon with wind that tears siding off houses and dust that permeates everything.
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

Hot and humid. 10 day forecast 7 days above 100. My St. Augustine grass thinks it is in Houston, having to mow every 4 to 5 days.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I'm surprised we haven't had any brown/blackouts. Plus 100 several days along with hi 80/low 90 RH. No rain in sight.

Having choice ribeye for lunch w/baked potato and mushroom/garlic/sherry sauce. Was gonna cook on Lodge hibachi style charcoal grill on patio, but have decide to settle on George Foreman grill indoors with aircon.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Wino wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:44 am I'm surprised we haven't had any brown/blackouts. Plus 100 several days along with hi 80/low 90 RH. No rain in sight.

Having choice ribeye for lunch w/baked potato and mushroom/garlic/sherry sauce. Was gonna cook on Lodge hibachi style charcoal grill on patio, but have decide to settle on George Foreman grill indoors with aircon.
I've had several down here. My 'Ting" monitor keeps track of things like brownouts even if they are not power outages. Fortunately I have my generator so I've not lost power but still see brownouts on the report Ting sends me each week.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

106 and finally got some humidity here @ 10% outside. The dewpoint was in the negative teens. So I've been running a whole house humidifier so far this spring. I have lotsa wood in the house and my sinuses get messed up if it's too dry. Currently the Rh inside is a beautiful 35% @ 75 f
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”