Re: How’s the weather

NOAA prediction for April-May-June 2023 temps. CA could go either way.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... 1_temp.gif

Precipitation forecast for April to June 2023.
https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... 1_prcp.gif

The heat increasing in the Pacific Ocean that TT mentioned.

Last edited by highdesert on Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CDFingers wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:05 pm We're having the kind of weather we never tell anyone about for fear they'll move here for it and then complain about the summer heat.

CDFingers.
Climate is wat you wish for and weather is what you get.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Our weather is as crazy if not crazier than turd. Much needed rain this morning with more predicted. 30 degree + temp swings, windy, but no tornadoes, thankfully.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Cloudy and colder today highs only in the low 60s. This is our usual Easter cold spell.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Monday and Tuesday were really windy here, a lot of big fat storm clouds blew east somewhere. Hope they're not part of any more tornadoes, the South doesn't need anymore tragic weather. Recently even Oregon had tornadoes. I keep looking up at the mountains every morning and hope that any flooding is minor. CA isn't totally out of drought but it's much better. We just need more water in the Colorado River to meet our needs ahead.

Photos of California's now full reservoirs from AP.
https://apnews.com/article/california-r ... osition_08
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:58 pm Monday and Tuesday were really windy here, a lot of big fat storm clouds blew east somewhere. Hope they're not part of any more tornadoes, the South doesn't need anymore tragic weather. Recently even Oregon had tornadoes. I keep looking up at the mountains every morning and hope that any flooding is minor. CA isn't totally out of drought but it's much better. We just need more water in the Colorado River to meet our needs ahead.

Photos of California's now full reservoirs from AP.
https://apnews.com/article/california-r ... osition_08
Those pics are reassuring! Hopefully people will continue to be water conscious.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

Beautiful weather here, supposed to be in the low 80Fs today. Wonderful walking weather. Along with all that drought killing rain, came all the pollen from blooming wildflowers and weeds. It's a very bad year for spring allergies.

Neighbor across the street tried to back out of his parking spot and ended up stuck in the ditch down the middle of the road. Had a major thunderstorm/hail/rain last night so even the compacted backfill was just pudding.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Ocean Warming Study So Distressing, Some Scientists Didn't Even Want to Talk About It

Scientists are so alarmed by a new study on ocean warming that some declined to speak about it on the record, the BBC reported Tuesday.

"One spoke of being 'extremely worried and completely stressed,'" the outlet reported regarding a scientist who was approached about research published in the journal Earth System Science Data on April 17, as the study warned that the ocean is heating up more rapidly than experts previously realized—posing a greater risk for sea-level rise, extreme weather, and the loss of marine ecosystems.

Scientists from institutions including Mercator Ocean International in France, Scripps Institution of Oceanography in the United States, and Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research collaborated to discover that as the planet has accumulated as much heat in the past 15 years as it did in the previous 45 years, the majority of the excess heat has been absorbed by the oceans.

In March, researchers examining the ocean off the east coast of North America found that the water's surface was 13.8°C, or 14.8°F, hotter than the average temperature between 1981 and 2011.

The study notes that a rapid drop in shipping-related pollution could be behind some of the most recent warming, since fuel regulations introduced in 2020 by the International Maritime Organization reduced the heat-reflecting aerosol particles in the atmosphere and caused the ocean to absorb more energy.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/ocean-warming-study

Maybe it is time to invest in some beachfront property in Huntsville, Texas.

It quickly turns from winter to summer up here, but there are lots of flowers. The first several 90 degree days. Maybe some rain next week. All the rain this winter has given us just tons of neighborhood flowers.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Had some business to do on Wednesday and afterward did some exploring. Everywhere I drove there were wildflowers in bloom, mostly yellow, but orange, purple, red... I've never seen anything like it. It's beautiful, but this is the worst hay fever season I can remember.

Major Thunderstorm starting about 12:20am. Lots of my roof tiles have gone WalkAbout. Tree limbs down. The new dirt road looks more like an old dirt road. Part of neighbors wood fence is down. Turned in a claim but I have a feeling I'll be way way down the response list. Power was off for about three hours but the generator kept things running.

I guess that's good news.

More local news. Power on here but tens of thousands in Hidalgo County still without power at noon today. One major north/south artery is blocked by a gas station. The really big metal awning that covered the herd of pumps ended up in the highway. The Power grid is still a mess with different organizations owning different pieces parts and several companies responsible for the infrastructure.

Did some clean up here but pulled my back trying to free a limb and now I'm barely able to walk.
Last edited by sig230 on Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim

highdesert wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:38 pm Glad you survived it sig230, the generator was a smart purchase.
Looking at the news overnight I'm in the really lucky minor inconvenience category. Roof not leaking. No major structural damage. Some hail dents but no windows broken and I have lots of Tylenol.
jim

El Nino is coming according to the World Meteorological Organization.
El Niño is characterized by warmer than average sea surface temperatures in the Eastern equatorial Pacific. The interactions between a warmer ocean and the atmosphere affect weather around the world. A strong El Niño in the Pacific Ocean this year has the potential to become one of the most powerful on record. Models are predicting El Niño will peak in the late fall or early winter. Impacts due to flooding, unusually large waves, heavy precipitation, and erosion are expected in Southern California.
https://dornsife.usc.edu/uscseagrant/el-nino-socal/

El Niño usually brings a quieter Atlantic hurricane season and more hurricane activity in the Pacific, while La Niña does the opposite — a dynamic that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has compared to a seesaw. El Niño's warmer waters can also push the Pacific jet stream south. When that happens, the NOAA says, "areas in the northern U.S. and Canada are dryer and warmer than usual. But in the U.S. Gulf Coast and Southeast, these periods are wetter than usual and have increased flooding." La Niña said farewell in March; since then, U.S. forecasters have mounted an El Niño Watch. "There's a 62% chance that El Niño will develop during the May–July period, and more than 80% chance of El Niño by the fall," according to NOAA's Emily Becker.
https://www.mprnews.org/story/2023/05/0 ... er-pattern