Re: How’s the weather

The contractor was out and did a survey and it seems a whole new roof in coming. Lots of hail damage not visible from the ground. Still waiting for the insurance claims adjuster.

So to fill the time I broke a tooth and likely facing a crown but unlike Charles I get to pay for mine.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

sig230 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:27 pm The contractor was out and did a survey and it seems a whole new roof in coming. Lots of hail damage not visible from the ground. Still waiting for the insurance claims adjuster.

So to fill the time I broke a tooth and likely facing a crown but unlike Charles I get to pay for mine.
Hope insurance covers a whole new roof.

An article I read said that all the coronation items are hand me downs. The spoon for the anointing oil is from the 1200s, the crown is from the 1600s and one of the robes was made for George I's coronation in 1714. They keep them safe in the Tower of London.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

The drought picture looks a lot different this year, than this time last year. In a normal El Nino which looks like we'll hit this summer, the northern 1/3 of the country will be getting less rain and the southern 1/3 will get more rain during the winter.

Typical impacts during an El Niño from December through February in North America.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:54 am
sig230 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 11:35 am Lots of rain and waiting to get my roof replaced yet again. Did this in 2012.
Hope you stay dry until it gets replaced, years back I had a similar situation.
No chance of staying dry but as I said, all the roofing tiles were replaced with 30 year asphalt and extra heavy substrate in 2012 so no leaks so far. But we have thunderstorms and flooding warnings almost every day for the next week.

AbE:

This last storm was about like a category 1 hurricane; eighty mile per hour winds and horizontal hail.
jim

tonguengroover wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 11:02 am The kid wanted a vacay to a beach for med school graduation.
That's a huge achievement getting an MD degree, he deserved the vacay. The Caribbean islands are beautiful, but I can't help thinking hurricanes. Where is the kid going for his residency?

Yes, he takes after the mom as does the older child with a masters in .gov admin.
It's the beginning if rainy season here and we had a little sprinkle. Hurricane season is later.He has taken to Wisconson so his residency will be in Milwaukie, his first choice.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:26 pm It's hilarious that a brief thundershower just made 90% of the people scatter off the beach in search of shelter even though they were under sunbrellas. Lol
Not so much the rain but the lightning will cause the scattering.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

cooper wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:32 pm Big congrats to the kid. Wisconsin MD myself. What specialty is he going into? What an exciting time for him. A little time to enjoy the accomplishment before residency.
He is internal medicine now but wants to be an intensivist and pulmonary medicine.
A brave soul for sure wanting to work ICU after all this covid business.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 10:05 pm
cooper wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:32 pm Big congrats to the kid. Wisconsin MD myself. What specialty is he going into? What an exciting time for him. A little time to enjoy the accomplishment before residency.
He is internal medicine now but wants to be an intensivist and pulmonary medicine.
A brave soul for sure wanting to work ICU after all this covid business.
Fantastic. Best of luck to him!

As El Niño Looms, US Officials Advised to Prepare Communities for Extreme Heat

With scientists pointing to a number of weather patterns this year that have already signified that the El Niño Southern Oscillation may amplify planetary heating in the coming months, one heat and public health expert said Monday that officials must take advantage of the time they have now to prepare their communities for potential extreme heat events in the United States and around the world.

"We will likely see a significant impact from El Niño in the 2023 heat season," said Ashley Ward, a senior policy associate at Duke University's Nicholas Institute for Energy, Environment & Sustainability. "While El Niño is still forming this year, we need to prepare for the 2024 heat season to likely be worse."

Ward said the last time scientists observed the kind of significant heat caused by El Niño that they're expecting to see this year was in 2016, which is tied with 2020 for the hottest year on record.

As climate researcher Leon Simons said last week regarding current ocean warming trends, scientists are currently observing heat patterns that look "very much like the 1997 and 2015 early stages of a Super El Niño," which is marked by very high temperatures in the Pacific Ocean near the equator.
https://www.commondreams.org/news/el-n ... treme-heat

With the El Niño heat, the big question in Texas is not will the Electric Grid hold up to the demand, but where will Cancun Cruz go to escape the heat?
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

We are having monsoonal weather right now, unusual because it normally comes in August and it's from the SW. It's cloudy and humid and thunderstorms are a possibility, so I on goes the a/c in the afternoon.

tonguengroover wrote:Yes, he takes after the mom as does the older child with a masters in .gov admin.
It's the beginning if rainy season here and we had a little sprinkle. Hurricane season is later.He has taken to Wisconson so his residency will be in Milwaukie, his first choice.
Congratulations!

Marquette University is my alma mater, Milwaukee is a great town. I loved it there. I’d go back there in a heart beat .

My oldest is off to ASU (bio-medical engineering) in the summer. Time flys too fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're in our normal 100+ pattern now. The "Feels Like" for yesterday was over 110F. Same pretty much every day for the next two weeks at least. A true high of 107 forecast for the 14th.
jim

Yep, summer has arrived in Central South Texas. 103F on patio yesterday and today into next week expect string of +100F days with no rain in sight. The past few months have been a respite in weather pattern and cooler than normal and bountiful rain - that's ended. Today started at 80F at 7 AM - not a good start point.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Typical cool June weather which is perfect. The forecasts with the start of El Nino are that temps could go either way - cooler than normal or hotter than normal. Got the annual notice in the mail from Edison about PSPS - Public Safety Power Shutoffs. The CA power grid is still delicate, we avoided blackouts last year but who knows what will happen this year.