Re: How’s the weather

Out very early this morning, beautiful weather in the 60s with a cool wind perfect for walking. With the sprinklers running I got a second shower of the day. Cooling trend, high today predicted to be 88F which is normal for June.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

While SATX is breaking heat records for June almost every day. 81 this am w/78%RH - by mid afternoon expect 100 with RH in teens. Can't remember last rain fall of any consequence. Stage III water restrictions. Fortunately there have been rains NW of here which is our aquifer recharge zone.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

82 right now but high today in the low 100s..But relief is on the way for the next six day highs are only forecast for the upper 90s. Going to have to break out the jackets.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Interesting article on the long range weather and its effect along with what mankind is doing.

From the NTYT
As the Great Salt Lake Dries Up, Utah Faces 'An Environmental Nuclear Bomb'

SALT LAKE CITY — If the Great Salt Lake, which has already shrunk by two-thirds, continues to dry up, here’s what’s in store:

The lake’s flies and brine shrimp would die off — scientists warn it could start as soon as this summer — threatening the 10 million migratory birds that stop at the lake annually to feed on the tiny creatures. Ski conditions at the resorts above Salt Lake City, a vital source of revenue, would deteriorate. The lucrative extraction of magnesium and other minerals from the lake could stop.

Most alarming, the air surrounding Salt Lake City would occasionally turn poisonous. The lake bed contains high levels of arsenic and as more of it becomes exposed, windstorms carry that arsenic into the lungs of nearby residents, who make up three-quarters of Utah’s population.
More here at https://www.yahoo.com/news/great-salt- ... O9YUuDjmyq

I asked my SIL who has a PhD in Environmental Science, lives in North Logan Utah and works for Campbell Scientific about this article. She said they are worried but Utah is not doing much to try and reverse the problem because of the effect on the economy. North Logan is almost in Idaho and they are worried about te lack of snow pack that supplies their water supply and the runoff they don’t use goes to the rivers that eventually run into the Great Salt Lake.

Just wait till someone tell Elon Musk the Great Salt Lake contains Lithium just like te Salton Sea in California. He will then try to buy the whole thing and start mining it. :sarcasm:
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Desalination is just too expensive. The plants are expensive, powering them is expensive and transmission mains are insane expensive. Right of way would need to be aquired. Environmental clearances alone would take a decade or two and be millions of dollars. It's not going to happen on any large scale.

Not only is it hot, we have the Saharan dust bowl. Just out to check mail - hot breeze - assuming I now know what it's like in an air fryer for a tater. Jake the Boxer followed me out, stopped, turned around and went back in the house with a "You're on you own, old Man"! look.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

featureless wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:18 pm Desalination is just too expensive. The plants are expensive, powering them is expensive and transmission mains are insane expensive. Right of way would need to be aquired. Environmental clearances alone would take a decade or two and be millions of dollars. It's not going to happen on any large scale.
Cant ya use Nuke plants to desalinate ocean water since they gotta make steam anyways? I mean come on, put your thinking caps on.

Oh wait, its California and ole Jane Fonda would be out picketing the nuke plant, hehe
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:19 pm
Cant ya use Nuke plants to desalinate ocean water since they gotta make steam anyways? I mean come on, put your thinking caps on.

Oh wait, its California and ole Jane Fonda would be out picketing the nuke plant, hehe
By using them you get radioactive salt.

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:27 pm

Makes it easy to find the shaker in the dark.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

TrueTexan wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:27 pm

No really?
I've seen them on the coast releasing warm water into the ocean. So it can't be radio active.
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

https://world-nuclear.org/information-l ... ation.aspx
Nuclear energy is already being used for desalination, and has the potential for much greater use.
Nuclear desalination is generally very cost-competitive with using fossil fuels. "Only nuclear reactors are capable of delivering the copious quantities of energy required for large-scale desalination projects" in the future (IAEA 2015).
As well as desalination of brackish or sea water, treatment of urban waste water is increasingly undertaken.

Had a brain fart - thought the Yellowstone flooding would help the west drought, then realized it's on the wrong side of Continental Divide.

We had a bit of relief for one day and then back into 100's and no rain SATX.

We are forecast for a cool spell with highs just under 100 for the next 6 days then back to the century plus temps and no rain

More wind for us this past month than any May/June I've had up here, for forty years. Life is short, so I don't know what wind was here before me. Still, things are changing. Dry as a mouth full of ground cinnamon.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

SATX monsoon this afternoon. Dropped Jake off at vet about 4 PM for his surgery in morning just as it started to sprinkle. All hell broke loose after that. I'm guessing I got about 1.5 to 2" in about 30 minutes. Power has come and gone and back. At least it has broken the 20+ days of 100+. Now 80F and light rain.