NFA Trust finalized...now, to planning!

I decided to get an NFA trust for all of my future purchases and finished everything for it yesterday. I ended up going with National Gun Trusts for the trust and also decided to get a couple laminated copies of the trust.

I currently have money down for two cans right now: a Silencerco Octane 45 (to swap out the Hybrid on the 1911) and a Silencerco Switchback to permanently reside on the Savage pest bolt gun (which has a Sparrow mounted currently). They're currently backordered for who knows how long.

With the trust and my understanding of the e-file process, I plan on form 1-ing some things.
* I posted this a while back and might circle back around to it.
* I also have a few of the LGC lowers from the latest run ordered up so SBR-ing one of those is definitely on the list.
* Perhaps a Mossberg 5xx series SBS? Either that or a SxS. My local LGS can knock down the barrels on a SxS and do the finishing work. Perhaps I can find a muzzle damaged Fox 12 gauge...

Of course, life happens when you plan so perhaps NONE of this will come to pass. At some point I'll also need to transfer my three existing cans (which are Form 4-ed to me as an individual) to the trust. That way when I kick the bucket the beneficiaries in the trust will actually get what I leave them in my will.

Any suggestions on what else to form 1? Thoughts?

Re: NFA Trust finalized...now, to planning!

I started with a family trust years ago and have 4 items remaining on it. My brother is also on it for inheritance reasons. However, since the rules changes about 2 years ago, I have just been applying for individual stamps. The big change for me was that anybody on the trust has to go through the same background check (finger prints, mug shots, etc.). I didn't want to put my brother through that. He is grandfathered in for all items prior, just not anything after.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Now that the business is done.
One of the Coolest, Cheapest, and down right most Fun things I have is a suppressed Ruger 10/22. With certain types of Sub-Sonic ammo, the loudest noise you hear is the bolt slapping the receiver.

Next, SilencerCo Hybrid for 300 AAC. Running Sub-Sonic ammo is crazy/stupid quiet.

If you are into SBR - I would recommend Sig Sauer MPX 9mm. Drop in a Binary Trigger and welcome to Funsville.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:36 pm Now that the business is done.
One of the Coolest, Cheapest, and down right most Fun things I have is a suppressed Ruger 10/22. With certain types of Sub-Sonic ammo, the loudest noise you hear is the bolt slapping the receiver.

Next, SilencerCo Hybrid for 300 AAC. Running Sub-Sonic ammo is crazy/stupid quiet.

If you are into SBR - I would recommend Sig Sauer MPX 9mm. Drop in a Binary Trigger and welcome to Funsville.
I have a Hybrid, Saker 7.62 ASR, and stainless Sparrow. The Hybrid going on the 1911 99% of the time and once I get ammo for it, the 1873 Trapdoor Springfield. The Saker gets swapped out between the LGC lowered AR in .300 blackout, the 1894 Winchester in .30-30, and (once the parts come in) the Springfield M1A SOCOM 16.

The Octane will live on the Dan Wesson and the Hybrid can get switched out for other things at that point (like the Trapdoor or a potential .458 SOCOM AR build OR a lever .45-70). The Sparrow will most likely go live on the Buckmark once the Switchback is installed on the Savage bolt.

FlyGuy wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:02 pm I started with a family trust years ago and have 4 items remaining on it. My brother is also on it for inheritance reasons. However, since the rules changes about 2 years ago, I have just been applying for individual stamps. The big change for me was that anybody on the trust has to go through the same background check (finger prints, mug shots, etc.). I didn't want to put my brother through that. He is grandfathered in for all items prior, just not anything after.
You only need to submit the prints/bgc forms for 'responsible persons' on the trust. The inheritor doesn't need to be an RP. Also you can just take people off the trust whenever you want, meaning you could remove your brother while the process is in submission, then re add him later.

KVoimakas wrote:I decided to get an NFA trust for all of my future purchases and finished everything for it yesterday. I ended up going with National Gun Trusts for the trust and also decided to get a couple laminated copies of the trust.

I currently have money down for two cans right now: a Silencerco Octane 45 (to swap out the Hybrid on the 1911) and a Silencerco Switchback to permanently reside on the Savage pest bolt gun (which has a Sparrow mounted currently). They're currently backordered for who knows how long.

With the trust and my understanding of the e-file process, I plan on form 1-ing some things.
* I posted this a while back and might circle back around to it.
* I also have a few of the LGC lowers from the latest run ordered up so SBR-ing one of those is definitely on the list.
* Perhaps a Mossberg 5xx series SBS? Either that or a SxS. My local LGS can knock down the barrels on a SxS and do the finishing work. Perhaps I can find a muzzle damaged Fox 12 gauge...

Of course, life happens when you plan so perhaps NONE of this will come to pass. At some point I'll also need to transfer my three existing cans (which are Form 4-ed to me as an individual) to the trust. That way when I kick the bucket the beneficiaries in the trust will actually get what I leave them in my will.

Any suggestions on what else to form 1? Thoughts?
Did you ever get your Octane 45 out of silencer jail yet? I’m curious about your review as I’m going to be getting a stamp for a .45 can for my 1911s & Henry .45 colt X model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently in jail, I have an octane 45, an Omega 36m, a switchback, an Omega 45k, and a Warlock on the way.

When I called BATFE, they pushed it out past the eight-month Mark which means at the very earliest, if they're right, beginning of March. The Omega 45k should be e-filed but I have no idea where that sits so I might actually get that before the octane.

I've been doing a little bit of thinking/planning as to what to do next and for a more complete update/plan since I'm at a computer now:

Four suppressors @ the LGS right now:
Octane 45: paper form 4, trust. expected date 02.08.2022 (8 month timeline)
Omega 36M: paper form 4, trust. expected date 03.27.2022
Omega 45K: efile form 4, trust. NO IDEA since the LGS has submitted the eform yet.
Switchback: paper form 4, trust. expected date 04.30.2022

1 not so much:
Warlock: not filed yet, still in transit to dealer (BOGO from SiCo)

I have an Ithaca 37 from 1956 that I plan on SBS-ing to make it similar to Hicks' shotgun from Aliens. I am keeping the original wood stock so it can actually be useful at times (PGO shotguns are notoriously not all that great for much besides range toys) but I do have a pistol grip so I can do the range toy, slam fire 12 gauge pistol-like THING. Form 1 not submitted yet.

The LGS has two additional Ithacas, including a SxS and a lever action single shot that he's trying to tempt me with. Form 1-ing a SxS into what everyone TYPICALLY thinks of when you say sawed off shotgun would be pretty cool.

Alas, everything that hasn't been paid for it is on hold since I got screwed on taxes. Once that settles out (or if I end up selling something specifically to pay for the form 1 stamp), I'll file the Ithaca 37 form 1.

I’m doing all my homework, now. It’s a new direction so I’m trying to not make any expense mistakes.

It doesn’t look like there’s a drop In barrel for my Ruger SR 1911 CMD, so it looks like a trip to the gunsmith to get a threaded one fitted. If read quite a few stories about difficulties with semi-drop in 1911 barrels. It really depends on what model 1911 you have.

My .45 colt Henry X model is already threaded. I’m pretty sure it will also work with my Hi -point carbines, 995 & 4595.

I shoot mostly cast reloads and appears that’s a problem too. I guess non-jacketed bullets lead the baffles. Do you know if the Octane 45 is able to be fully dissembled?

The Octane 45 has the capability to use differently pistons so I’ll be able to shoot 9mm too; so that’s a lot of versititility for one can. It’s quite the investment, but it think worth it to shoot more. Basically the same principle as reloading.

My “second” can will be an AR specific an as I enjoy shooting those and they are way too loud for my home range. Plus, since those are already threaded NBD.

I guess I’ll make it a Trust so my brother can hold onto them if I croak. I’m wondering if I can add my oldest son when he turns 21, later?

This is my first forey into NFA items … it’s a steep learning curve

I had a hard time finding a good drop in for my 1911s...so I bought a 1911 that came from the factory with a threaded barrel and suppressor sights.

Octane 45 has the click together baffles so you can break it all down and clean it. I also bought the SiCo piston kit so I can put the Omega 45K, Hybrid 46, Octane 45, or Omega 36M on pistols using the appropriate piston.

What kind of AR can? 5.56 or .30 cal or something else?

I am the only responsible person on my trust. If I need to add others later, like a significant other or my sister or what not, I will. I do have the "if I die, this goes there" spelled out in the trust as well. I'd recommend https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/ since they're basically the gold standard right now.

KVoimakas wrote:I had a hard time finding a good drop in for my 1911s...so I bought a 1911 that came from the factory with a threaded barrel and suppressor sights.
Which one did you go with?

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing as well.

I really want the SA Silent operator master class - but you can’t find them.

An SA or STI have been on my “short list” for about 20years - haha.

kimber Custom TLE/RL II (TFS) are available - but honestly I’ve heard mixed reviews on Kimbers. And a gun with those features for $850 seems priced well below market. Some people swear by kimbers while others say theve had issues. I don’t believe everything I read in the internet though.

What kind of AR can? 5.56 or .30 cal or something else?
5.56 - that’s what I have standardized on for reloading, parts, knowledge etc.

I’ve kind of always wanted an AR -10 but I just don’t have any real reason for one; as they are X2 the price, and I’m not set up for 7.62 NATO, even though it’s a relatively soft shooter in an AR-10. I’m sure I’ll build one eventually.

I had my buddies’ HK-91 while he was deployed to Iraq & moving around for a few years and that was an excellent rifle - but expensive to play with w/o reloading at the time.

I would love the STI HOST 2011 but sadly, $$$$$$$.

The one in my signature is a Dan Wesson Discretion with the Hybrid attached and an Inforce APL that they don't make anymore.

I have a friend who swears by his Kimber (loves it) and he's the only one out of the people I know that have one that hasn't experienced issues of some sort.
I’ve kind of always wanted an AR -10 but I just don’t have any real reason for one; as they are X2 the price, and I’m not set up for 7.62 NATO, even though it’s a relatively soft shooter in an AR-10. I’m sure I’ll build one eventually.
I have an M1A that the Omega 36M is going on as soon as it clears jail. SOCOM 16 with appropriate modifications.