AK arrives at FFL today.

Never been interested in an AR. Always had a distant attraction to AK. Never thought I'd add one to my single action revolvers, lever actions and pump shotguns. So it went like this.

A few weeks back, I fell hard for a a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 I met online at gunbroker. She went home with a guy or gal with more money than me. Story of my life. I was so certain she was coming home with me that I bought a case of that Red Army Standard 7.62x39 she likes so much. It was available for un-gouging prices (still overpriced but relative to everything else right now, I accepted reality).

So I tell my buddy/enabler about my unrequited love and my lonely case of ammo. He recommends an AK from PSA. Seems to not be very traditional, but also doesn't need me to work on it and reviews were good--so overall looks like a good way to dip one's toe in the water.

Re: AK arrives at FFL today.

Bummer about the 527. I do really love mine. Once the current stupidity ends they will be available again. It took me several months near the beginning of the Obama administration to win mine. My two PSA AR uppers have functioned flawlessly for me so your AK should not disappoint (except maybe accuracy wise compared to what a 527 will do with cheap commie ammo).
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

cooper wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:52 am Never been interested in an AR. Always had a distant attraction to AK. Never thought I'd add one to my single action revolvers, lever actions and pump shotguns. So it went like this.

A few weeks back, I fell hard for a a CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 I met online at gunbroker. She went home with a guy or gal with more money than me. Story of my life. I was so certain she was coming home with me that I bought a case of that Red Army Standard 7.62x39 she likes so much. It was available for un-gouging prices (still overpriced but relative to everything else right now, I accepted reality).

So I tell my buddy/enabler about my unrequited love and my lonely case of ammo. He recommends an AK from PSA. Seems to not be very traditional, but also doesn't need me to work on it and reviews were good--so overall looks like a good way to dip one's toe in the water.
Did you get the MOE variant GF3 or AK-E? Doesn't look traditional, but the Magpul handguard works well with the firearm. Nice finish, too. The tolerances on the Zastava ZPAP M92 (pistol) feel tighter, but despite earlier missteps, the latest incarnation of the PSA works well.

That's cool... those CZ's are real nice, but there's something about an AK that just makes it real fun to shoot... maybe it's the clubbish feel of the thing that reminds you how primal and simplistic firearms actual are. I have a WASR and I love it, warts and all. Not as accurate as my AR by any stretch of the imagination, but she'll deliver 2" groups at 50m just fine with open sights, which is good enough for me since her main purpose is to double as a self defense rifle and a shovel should the need for either arise.
Crow
Minute Of Average

DispositionMatrix wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:34 am
cooper wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:52 am Never been interested in an AR. Always had a distant attraction to AK. Never thought I'd add one to my single action revolvers, lever actions and pump shotguns. So it went like this.

Did you get the MOE variant GF3 or AK-E? Doesn't look traditional, but the Magpul handguard works well with the firearm. Nice finish, too. The tolerances on the Zastava ZPAP M92 (pistol) feel tighter, but despite earlier missteps, the latest incarnation of the PSA works well.
It's a GF3, traditional except polymer was all they had. Unacceptable. I ordered wood furniture. I'll have to antique the wood myself--that'll happen naturally over time!

I myself stick to combloc imports and rebuilding deactivated military rifles, but those 3rd gen PSA's seem like absolutely solid alternatives (the fit and finish seems superior even). The furniture on it is actually accurate for what the Russians have been putting on their AK's for the past few decades, but I agree, wood on an AK is peak aesthetic. That PSA should accept any non Yugo pattern european surplus AKM wood on the market.

Dang, i wish i had known you were looking for an AK. I have enough and one could go to a good home.

Keep your eye on the 527 prices. These CZ enablers talked me into getting one. They are sweet shooting rifles.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

@K9s, dang, I should have put it out there. It was more of a whim decision when they became available. Not my most practical decision, but I think I'll have fun with it. I took it out in deep snow and 1 below yesterday and put 10 rounds through it. Very fun. Looking forward to warmer weather.

I can't get the CZ 527 carbine out of my head, but alas, I've already blown my budget.

cooper wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:58 pm @K9s, dang, I should have put it out there. It was more of a whim decision when they became available. Not my most practical decision, but I think I'll have fun with it. I took it out in deep snow and 1 below yesterday and put 10 rounds through it. Very fun. Looking forward to warmer weather.

I can't get the CZ 527 carbine out of my head, but alas, I've already blown my budget.
Those 527 will be around. Watch the prices and buy low.

I was lucky to catch the CZ bug in December 2019, so unavailability kept me from buying the .223 version later.

You have plenty of time to save up and search around for good prices.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I still love my Yugo Undefolder. It is a rugged combat rifle, not a sniper rile. There are some interesting videos comparing the AK vs AR. I have the AK and My Answer to the AR the Ruger Mini 14. I like the simple old school stuff, wood and metal. Grips and guards can be synthetic.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

I don't get assigning gender to inanimate objects. Yes, I know ships are "she" but that's a long tradition. But I still don't get it. Or naming them beyond the practical: "YT's iPhone", "Mrs.YT's iPad", "YT's AMD Tower", etc.
I knew one guy who named his BMW "Gertie" and its replacement "Enterprise". A woman I knew called her office PC "Bert".
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:37 pm I don't get assigning gender to inanimate objects. Yes, I know ships are "she" but that's a long tradition. But I still don't get it. Or naming them beyond the practical: "YT's iPhone", "Mrs.YT's iPad", "YT's AMD Tower", etc.
I knew one guy who named his BMW "Gertie" and its replacement "Enterprise". A woman I knew called her office PC "Bert".
He could be thinking in Spanish. “La arma” carries with it the feminine gender regardless of its animation, and when referred to by use of a single object pronoun is literally calling it “the feminine thing” or, in short, “she.”

“El barco” (the boat) is actually masculine, so sailors should really refer to their rigs (skiffs? vessels? something else? I’m not a sailor) as “he.” Not sure how that would go over though.

Not to geek out on linguistics on a gun forum or anything...
Last edited by keenanmj85 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Went out to ring steel with the AK today. That was a few hours ago--still trying to wipe the smile off my face, but it's stuck like that.

12" steel disk. 100 yards. Standard open sights. Prone: rang 5 or 6 times per 10 rounds. Standing unsupported, more like 3 per 10 rounds, but I had one that was 4 out of 10. For me, that was very good--I really need rifle training. The only other time I spent real time with this rifle was when I was sighting it in a few weeks ago.

lurker wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:36 pm ejector needs tuning, i think.
Needs stronger recoil spring?
I think the SGL Arsenal I had did the same thing, but the trigger slap from the damn thing proved far more of a annoyance.
It sat in the safe until its value nearly doubled and I sold it.
Last edited by geno on Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"it's a goddamn impossible way of life"
"And so it goes"

lurker wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:48 pm i just read the whole thread, and there is the pic of an empty case (which could be picked up off the ground at just about any range), but no pics of alleged rifle. i therefore conclude that there is no AK. prove me wrong.
;)
That is rude of me. I'll rectify the problem next time I take it out, next couple of days I hope.

cooper wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:07 pm
About 1/3 of the cases look like this. What's wrong with the rifle?
RIFLE IS FINE.
(sorry, someone had to say it...)
AKs fuck up brass (er, steel?) pretty good most of the time, but maybe a stronger recoil spring is in order. I replaced my stock spring with one of the ALG springs and my rifle cycles a lot more smoothly. Cool thing about the AK rifle is that it protects your right flank pretty well with that insane ejection velocity.
-Crow
Minute Of Average

The case is hitting the operating rod handle during ejection...try a different brand of ammo and it will likely go away. Or just start shooting steel case and then who cares?

FWIW the AK was specifically designed around steel case ammo, and it tends to be easier on the rifle. Notice there's a big difference in the amount of taper on the AK rounds vs. western cartridges...that is to accommodate steel case ammo, to help with primary extraction. If you use brass case ammo, you're goin to get faster rearward bolt speeds, and a slightly earlier opening. Both translate into more violent ejection of cartridges.
“I think there’s a right-wing conspiracy to promote the idea of a left-wing conspiracy”