AR10 for a dummy

I built this AR-10 with a buddy from a bunch of parts he had around, and haven't really bonded with it yet. Part of the issue is my ignorance, the controls feel awkward. The charging handle for example is tucked under the scope, but that's where my eye relief puts the scope.

Is this a typical configuration? Do people use long-relief scopes? Or perhaps just work with the handle?
Groovin' and jivin' and diggin' the skin I'm in

Lyons, CO

Re: AR10 for a dummy

I think you can just pull on one side or the other for the charging handle. Get a riser block for the scope too. They have some with us adjustable height.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
C6F8B0BF-FE23-4BB6-924A-3BD0D6BAA975.jpeg

Benredbeard wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:41 pm Hmm that's interesting raising the scope, is there such a thing as iron sights underneath/inside scope rings?
Don’t know. There seems to be a variety of options. Depend on rail type how many I guess. Perhaps something like this.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.
Attachments
1E74AAC8-1805-4715-BBEC-787453D76494.png

sikacz wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:49 pm
Benredbeard wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:41 pm Hmm that's interesting raising the scope, is there such a thing as iron sights underneath/inside scope rings?
Don’t know. There seems to be a variety of options. Depend on rail type how many I guess. Perhaps something like this.
This is my setup both on my .22 rifle and tactical shotgun. Takes a minute to get used to having to lift your head more than usual to use the scope, but the iron sight/scope combo makes for some pretty versatile use

keenanmj85 wrote:
This is my setup both on my .22 rifle and tactical shotgun. Takes a minute to get used to having to lift your head more than usual to use the scope, but the iron sight/scope combo makes for some pretty versatile use
So you have iron sights in back of and in front of those rings (and obviously in addition to the rings)?
Groovin' and jivin' and diggin' the skin I'm in

Lyons, CO

Benredbeard wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:18 pm
keenanmj85 wrote:
So you have iron sights in back of and in front of those rings (and obviously in addition to the rings)?
I would think that is how it works

featureless wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:07 pm You can get an ambidextrous charging handle that makes one sided action easier.

You can really mount irons with a scope without compromising somewhere. Some people like angled (off the side from the rail) sights.
I’ve seen angled options for irons. The ambidextrous charging handle is what I put on mine.

Benredbeard wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:18 pm
keenanmj85 wrote:
Yes on the .22 (traditional 3x9 scope), the shotgun is front sight only (with x1 red dot). Like I said, a little different but it does work well and allows for quick sighting with irons and scoping with more time. I will send some pics in a bit

Benredbeard wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:26 pm Are there key words I should search on, or even paired sets of rings/irons for this purpose?
I would look for the see through raised scope rings as one search and your irons as a separate.

45 degree irons are actually pretty fun / intuitive, at least in my experience. I've not tried them on an AR10, but on my AR15 it's the way to go when running a magnified optic. For a red dot or 1x situation you should keep them on top for co-witness. As far as buying actual "offset" BIUS's, I tried some and didn't really like the way they looked (and they were more like 35 degrees). I ended up just mounting my flip-up irons on the 45 degree slant of the mlok rail of my handguard. My rail is full-length (SA Saint Victor) so I was able to still get a pretty long sight radius and decent accuracy. Keeping both sights on the handguard/forend also has the added benefit of avoiding your zero shifting from a slightly loose or flexing handguard which can cause misalignment of the front sight with the rear if the rear is mounted to the toprail of the upper receiver. Or it may not matter at all... I dunno. These are the things I worry over.
Crow
Minute Of Average

Stiff wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:52 pm They sell an extended charging handle that can be operated from one side. I don’t know whether all AR-10 versions are interchangeable, so you may need to research it a bit.

477B44A5-C32B-41E4-A13A-71B427E304F3.jpeg
You can also replace one side of the charging handle with an extension for much less money. I did that and am glad I did.

The brand I used looks like they are all sold out wherever I look, but they do exist all around the internet for $10 or less. Or, buy a new CH to replace the old one.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

As many have said, work on the charging handle (CH) before moving your optic.
I have a BCM warfighter with a medium latch, and I absolutely love it. Its more rigid than the milspec handle, so operation on one side, or just operation in general, feels more solid and stable. It's beefier, so getting a positive hold is easier, and it has a lip, to help gas blow back if you plan on suppressing.
Granted, I have big hands, and although it is easier to use under a magnified optic than a milspec CH, it doesn't solve clearence issues as well as, say, the Raptor CH (Large ambi handle makes it easier to get ahold of) or swapping out for an oversized latch.
All in all, with the amount if customization for CH, I feel comfort of Optic Location takes precedent.

K9s wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:34 pm I can't say enough about how much the extended latch charging handle makes a difference for me.
Mine is a ambidextrous. Not sure either is extended. The platform is easy to make component switches. So it’s not a big deal in the long run.

K9s wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:30 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:29 pm BTW, I ONLY have an AR-10--a Wyndham Weaponry Hunter:

20190727_Windham.jpg
What kind of irons/optic do you use?
I have a couple of inexpensive scopes. Haven't locked down anything permanent. Don't have iron sights for it.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."