38 short colt ammo

Hi everyone. It has been quite some time since I have been on the forum, but I return with a question. I've seen where ammo in general is in short supply, and 38 short colt is of no exception. Back in the summer, I scored a few boxes of Magtech 38 CBC special short ammo at a pawnshop, and I shot several cylinders full out of my model 36. I liked the low recoil as compared to standard pressure 38 special, and my shooting was more accurate. Unfortunately, it appeared that even before ammo was scarce, magtech was no longer producing the ammo. Now I'm looking at 38 short colt and seeing that it is still produced by a handful of companies, but no one shows it to be in stock. I can buy short colt brass from starline, and I have a Lee handloader for 38 special, but I've never loaded any live ammo with it. I'm not out of magtech yet, and I dont shoot often, but I'd like to know I can find more short colt in the future. So I guess my question is this: is it reasonable to conclude that 38 sc will be back in stock when folks stop panic buying ammo again? Thanks.

Re: 38 short colt ammo

lurker wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:53 pm i wonder if you can reload trimmed .38spc shell cases?
Theoretically yes, and I could also reload the magtech cases, but I don't really have experience doing so and I don't really shoot enough to justify reloading, at least in my opinion. One could also reload regular 38 special cases with short colt load values.

NuJudge wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:52 pm My guess would be that the big domestic manufacturers will make what is in demand most. Magtech is a foreign manufacturer, and who knows what they will do. It would be best if you used a search engine to look for what you want.
If by search engine you mean Google, all the online vendors show 38 sc ammo to be out of stock. The magtech showed to be out of stock or unavailable well before the panic buying began, which leads to the reasonable conclusion that its been discontinued. It's not a huge deal. Next time I shoot I may save my brass and try my hand at hand loading.

If you're using the little wood grips on the 36, you might think about trying something else.
Rubber grips from Pachmayr, Hogue, or S&W can make a huge difference in felt recoil and practical accuracy. Boot grips can can make a big difference, especially if they fit your hand well.