Re: America's Cup 2020

Did you hear about the 2 French sailors in the solo round-the-world race? One, in 3rd place, had a similar boat that 1000 miles South of Africa, was folded in half by heavy waves and he barely made it into his survival suit and life raft, with a radio beacon. The other, leading the race, broke to race to the rescue (they have emergency engines but they are sealed--only under emergency conditions can the seal be broken). He almost didn't find the other guy but took one last sweep and got him!

There are rules for how the rescuer can continue the race without being disqualified, even having used his engine, and the rescuee cannot help sail. But despite being fierce competitors they were hugging each other when he was rescued! Macron called the rescuer a hero.

Ironically, the rescuer lost HIS boat in a previous race and another sailor rescued him!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

CDFingers wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:42 pm 50 knots.

CDFingers
Wow! That is fucking moving.

A friend of mine races a J125 in the Bay. He's done 3 or 4 races from So Cal to Hawaii (the TransPac), one a crew of 2 on a 30 footer. No thanks. I've done one race in the Bay with him. I drank a lot of rum. (Really, I was along as ballast and fetching shit)

My eyes went a little wild for a second when I read “America’s Coup 2020” as the subject line. Maybe I should take it a little easy after today.
:wacko:
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

featureless wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:18 pm
CDFingers wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:42 pm 50 knots.

CDFingers
Wow! That is fucking moving.

A friend of mine races a J125 in the Bay. He's done 3 or 4 races from So Cal to Hawaii (the TransPac), one a crew of 2 on a 30 footer. No thanks. I've done one race in the Bay with him. I drank a lot of rum. (Really, I was along as ballast and fetching shit)
57 mph. I don't even clock that heading to the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Brandywine Ale release. Well in defense of my car, the brewery is only six blocks away.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Amazing what Larry Ellison's Oracle money has done to what was a sport.
I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED
II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY
III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET
IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT'S BEHIND IT

It's still a sport. Yeah, hella bux. Each winner gets to change the rules for the next time. I don't think we'll see it go back to wooden boats, canvas sails, and weighted keels. I think they will push forward. I really love to see these new boats rise up on the wings. Dang. You can just see them accelerate.

CDFingers

Tedzilla wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:03 pm Amazing what Larry Ellison's Oracle money has done to what was a sport.
Here I thought the notion of sportsmanship keeled over in the '88 America's Cup. Pit a NZ banker against Burt Rutan and see what you get? Lawyers.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_America%27s_Cup

This is a fun article from the lead-up. Stars and Stripes blew KZ-1 out of the water.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm ... story.html

They are certainly interesting beasts. My son-in-law worked for the American Promise team building the boats - the foils were supplied pre-made to all teams, I believe, to keep things even.

Fabulous to watch, but not something that will trickle down for many years. You simply could not fleet-race these things on a lake or bay. Even "regular" filers have trouble racing in a fleet because of the speeds.

I shall be watching with some interest, but not overmuch. :)
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.

When I was in high school we had a 17' Osprey class sloop with a centerboard. Hauled it on a trailer behind a 1964 Corvair. No problems. Backed it down into the water, parked the car and sailed all day. I remember the acceleration when you come about and catch the wind again, so when I see those boats jump up and roar along, I can sort of feel it. No, it Oregon legalized 'em, not California.

Love watching them cross paths, eat up some wind from the other boat. Strategery.

CDFingers

My son has been sailing non foiling Opti’s for years. He recently got too big and has graduated to Lasers. This is good, as his Opti is sailed the fuck out and I’m sick of fixing it!

For small boat foiling action search Waszp sailing on the YouTube.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:59 am My son has been sailing non foiling Opti’s for years. He recently got too big and has graduated to Lasers. This is good, as his Opti is sailed the fuck out and I’m sick of fixing it!

For small boat foiling action search Waszp sailing on the YouTube.
:)
Yes, Optis are fun at speed. :) There is a Youtube out there of one being sailed in about 25 or 30 knots of wind, surfing on the waves. Somewhere in Scandinavia, I think.

Then there is this thing, developed by an old friend and his son.

https://www.sailingworld.com/ufo-project/

Steve (Dad) sails around in these things when he gets on the water. C-Class catamarans.
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo.
Attachments
day210.jpg

Actually, my sons coaches will take them out on the Chesapeake bay in 25 knots to surf the waves. I have some video from the coach boat of him and his team mates surfing with dolphins last spring. Our Opti team dominated in the Hilton Head YC invitational team races a month or so ago.

Never having been a dingy sailor myself, the foiling boats seem like a handful to me - I think I'm too old to pick it up. Trimming sails on the J-36 suits me fine in middle age. :)
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese