Re: AR scope recommendations?

Side parallax adjustment will gain you nothing on a small scope like this.
With ffp the reticle has to be done right to be useful at both 1x and 6x, and apparently that's not easy and cheap to do.
Bells and whistles like ffp, side focus, illumination, wide zoom range, cost money. Quality mechanical parts and quality optics cost money. When somebody makes a cheap scope with a lot of bells and whistles, they compromise somewhere else. A cheap 1-8x24 is probably not great at 1x or 8x.
The ocular lens (eyepiece) on any decent scope is adjustable. The sole purpose of this feature is to allow focus, for your individual eye, on the reticle. It has nothing to do with parallax or eye relief.
For short range, like across a living room, a red dot like the Burris Fastfire3 is better and faster than any scope that I've seen.
If you want to try something without illumination, the Leupold Freedom 1-4x20 and the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 are proven designs and available for under $200. They work best at ranges farther than 8 yards or so, but even closer than that you can see what color you're looking at, even if the details are blurry.
With a 5.56 AR type rifle, you can sight in so you don't need any hashmarks on the reticle until you're out past 300 yards or so.

YMMV

Stiff wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:53 pm
Outpost716 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:46 pm ...I think (the way I was asking) was more along the lines of, At 2x power, how far away am I seeing? At 3x? 4x? And I think (correct me if I'm wrong), that's where the hashes come in... And if that is correct, then a first focal plane isn't going to ever change that distance, it's going to maintain that scale (if I'm using the right words here).

I hope I'm making some sense or that I'm not over-thinking all this.
The math is simple. Having 4x magnification means objects at 400m look like they’re at 100m. If the furthest distance that your naked eye can clearly identify a human target is 600m, then the 4x scope multiplies it to 2400m.
Today I learned! Thank you for that! Much appreciated!! :thumbup:

Rust wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:39 am Side parallax adjustment will gain you nothing on a small scope like this.
With ffp the reticle has to be done right to be useful at both 1x and 6x, and apparently that's not easy and cheap to do.
Bells and whistles like ffp, side focus, illumination, wide zoom range, cost money. Quality mechanical parts and quality optics cost money. When somebody makes a cheap scope with a lot of bells and whistles, they compromise somewhere else. A cheap 1-8x24 is probably not great at 1x or 8x.
The ocular lens (eyepiece) on any decent scope is adjustable. The sole purpose of this feature is to allow focus, for your individual eye, on the reticle. It has nothing to do with parallax or eye relief.
For short range, like across a living room, a red dot like the Burris Fastfire3 is better and faster than any scope that I've seen.
If you want to try something without illumination, the Leupold Freedom 1-4x20 and the Vortex Diamondback 1.75-5x32 are proven designs and available for under $200. They work best at ranges farther than 8 yards or so, but even closer than that you can see what color you're looking at, even if the details are blurry.
With a 5.56 AR type rifle, you can sight in so you don't need any hashmarks on the reticle until you're out past 300 yards or so.

YMMV
Wow, thank you!! That's a lot of really good, useful information. The argument you make against the cheap scopes with all the bells 'n' whistles makes sense and not having real quality where it's needed is a trade-off I don't want to make. I wouldn't have realized that until I had something like that in hand.

Thank you very, very much.

BTW, what is YMMV?
You Make Me Vomit? LOL

Alright, here it goes. I've taken a lot of your advice and my own want/need list and here's the result.

I've settled on the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 BDC3 SFP scope.

Although the 1-6x magnification is technically beyond the AR's effective range of 550m, I figure that extra 100m (650 is the scope's optical limit), I can be more sure of what's beyond the intended target -whether on a range or in... (ahem) 'other situations,' if needed. The Strike Eagle's reticle is what I think will work best for me. Not only does it have clear, concise markings for holdover and windage, illumination is an option -and it's got that need red dot and horse-shoey thing going on that makes me think of unicorns. Top all that with its lifetime warranty and how could I not?

I want to thank everyone who have dropped comments and gave their feedback to steer me. I appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Outpost716 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:36 pm Alright, here it goes. I've taken a lot of your advice and my own want/need list and here's the result.

Although the 1-6x magnification is technically beyond the AR's effective range of 550m, I figure that extra 100m (650 is the scope's optical limit), I can be more sure of what's beyond the intended target -whether on a range or in... (ahem) 'other situations,' if needed. The Strike Eagle's reticle is what I think will work best for me. Not only does it have clear, concise markings for holdover and windage, illumination is an option -and it's got that need red dot and horse-shoey thing going on that makes me think of unicorns. Top all that with its lifetime warranty and how could I not?

I want to thank everyone who have dropped comments and gave their feedback to steer me. I appreciate all of you sharing your thoughts and experiences.
If that’s what you want, sign up for palmetto state armory’s mailing list. As late as last Tuesday they had it on sale for a significant discount, and they even included a mount.
Glad that federal government is boring again.

Stiff wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:57 am
Outpost716 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:36 pm Alright, here it goes. I've taken a lot of your advice and my own want/need list and here's the result.

If that’s what you want, sign up for palmetto state armory’s mailing list. As late as last Tuesday they had it on sale for a significant discount, and they even included a mount.
D'oh! :blink: :ohmg: