Re: Skeet at the old Triple Bs?

Skeet is a game of angles and leads. If you are not male, right-handed and right-eyed, about 5ft 8in and 180 pounds, you need to see a shotgun fitter before you do anything. Shotgun is very different from pistol and rifle in so many ways. If you are right-handed and -eyed, you point your shotgun with your LEFT hand. Ignore the sighting plane you look down, and the beads on it, focus on what you are going to be shooting at, and look ahead of it by the Lead you need. Moving about the arc on the Skeet course, your Lead will go from about 9 inches, to about a foot and a half, to three feet, and finally to 4 feet at the center of the arc, then down to about 9 inches. For the double station out in the middle of the field, just be blotting the bird out as you pull the trigger.

It helps to visualize the Lead you need. Around the arc, if you hold up a finger at arm's length, the distance occluded near the target will be about a foot. Before calling for a bird, I will hold up the appropriate number of fingers, occluding the Lead I need. I try to focus on the bird, but look ahead of it by the Lead I need, and the shotgun will follow your eye. Sometimes while others are shooting, I will hold up the appropriate number of fingers and Lead their bird. You'll feel stupid doing it, but you'll probably break more birds, so maybe it's not so stupid.

Visualize your shot charge as a teardrop shaped cloud, with a lengthy tail. The .410 is a special case, it that it is all tail. If you are unsure of the Lead you need, go with the longest estimate, and that tail hanging out behind will still hammer your target.

Some people such as my daughter are cross dominant, she being right handed, but having a left master eye. I encouraged her to shoot Left handed, and she does. Some persons such as my self have weak eye dominance, and when I am very tired it switches: close your non-dominant, which temporarily becomes dominant.