Want to mount a prism to my AR15, but offset 45 degres. Recommendations?

The topic says it all. I'm thinking of the Burris AR332 3x prism, but I already have a Vortex scope on the main rail and want to keep it there. I'd like to mount a 1x or a 3x prism, but offset. I have a small offset rail right now with a base about 1.25", and I'm not sure that that's going to be big enough for the AR332, so I'm not sure what direction I should go with things. Any thoughts, suggestions?
Last edited by Saganesque on Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“This aggression will not stand, man.” — The Dude

Re: Want to mount a prism to my AR15, but offset 45 degres. Recommendations?

Elmo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:38 pm That's a bigger optic than most people would mount at 45 degrees. I've used offset rails for BUIS and small red dots when using a magnified scope on top, but never anything that big.

What are you using on top?
Well that's the thing. On top I have a Vortex Crossfire II 39x 40, but the scope didn't come with iron sights, and I'm having a hard time turning up an offset iron sight solution that I find acceptable for less than the cost of a prism. I'm cool with getting a smaller solution, maybe a 1x, but I don't want to rely on the scope alone.

Saganesque wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:17 am
Elmo wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:38 pm That's a bigger optic than most people would mount at 45 degrees. I've used offset rails for BUIS and small red dots when using a magnified scope on top, but never anything that big.

What are you using on top?
Well that's the thing. On top I have a Vortex Crossfire II 39x 40, but the scope didn't come with iron sights, and I'm having a hard time turning up an offset iron sight solution that I find acceptable for less than the cost of a prism. I'm cool with getting a smaller solution, maybe a 1x, but I don't want to rely on the scope alone.

If this is 'serious business' then you should consider more than just cost. Like others mentioned adding a prism is going to add more than just weight, it adds volume to your rifle. If I needed an actual scope(more than 3x) and a 1x solution I'd just pay for the good irons and the scope.

If you really want to learn to shoot, put your money into a set of military style irons and a quality quick release mount for your scope. The AR is a 300 yard with irons platform. Figure that out first and then add the scope back. There is a reason the military uses iron sights to train and the vast majority of soldiers carry nothing more than an M4 or M16 with a 1x ACOG red dot. Most other AR accessories are mainly "shit of goat" designed to do nothing more than empty your wallet.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/ivan-chesnokov.php

WHAT IN FUCK IS DONE TO THIS POOR RIFLE? STUPID HICK AMERICAN WITH TEN GALLON HAT AND GIANT PICKUP TRUCK LOOKS AT PERFECTLY FINE SIMONOV KARBIN AND SAYS "NO, RIFLE NEED MORE DUMB SHIT ON IT"?

WHAT IS REASON FOR PISTOL GRIP? IF YOU NEED TO FIRE FROM HIP IN EMERGENCY, NOW HAND IS TWISTED INTO PAINFUL ANGLE AND YOU MISS EVERY ENEMY! LOOK AT WRONG ANGLE OF BAYONET! LOOK AT CHEAP PLASTIC MAGAZINE THAT FEEDS CARTRIDGE LIKE CONSTANTLY JAMMING PEZ CANDY BOX! WHERE DID CLEANING STICK GO?

I HEAR OF 922 LAW IN AMERICA. ADDING PISTOL GRIP TO WEAPON MEANS YOU CHANGE OTHER PARTS. WHAT ELSE YOU FUCK? YOU PUT NEW BOLT EDIFICE? HOW ABOUT BAD FIT RECEIVER COVER FOR CHEAP SCOPE TO SHOW OFF AT HICK PARTY AND NEVER HIT LARGEST SIDE OF BARN?

SURE, IS ONLY YUGOSLAV COPY TYPE BUT IS STILL PROUD DESIGN OF SERGEI SIMONOV. THIS IS LIKE SENDING HIM BIRTHDAY CARD WITH SEVERED OFF THUMB OF DAUGHTER IN ENVELOPE. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SERGEI! I PISS ON ALL YOU CREATE!" LARGE MOUND FORMS OVER SIMONOV'S GRAVE BY CONSTANT TUMBLING OF HIS ANGRY CORPSE. IS FAULT OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU.

RIFLE WAS FINE BEFORE YOU FUCK IT. NOW IS TRASH. MAYBE YOU CHECK IN GARAGE AND ORIGINAL BOLT EDIFICE AND WOOD ARE STILL THERE. MAYBE IS NOT TOO LATE TO KEEP RIFLE SOMETHING NOT SHAMEFUL TO TAKE TO FIRING RANGE. TAKE SHIT OF GOAT AWAY AND COULD STILL BE GOOD WEAPON.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am If you really want to learn to shoot, put your money into a set of military style irons and a quality quick release mount for your scope. The AR is a 300 yard with irons platform. Figure that out first and then add the scope back. There is a reason the military uses iron sights to train and the vast majority of soldiers carry nothing more than an M4 or M16 with a 1x ACOG red dot. Most other AR accessories are mainly "shit of goat" designed to do nothing more than empty your wallet.
I understand, but I don't consider optics accessories, and honestly this conversation isn't going in the right direction.
I don't have many firearms, so I try to apply a "tool for the job" notion to buying them. My one other rifle is a Ruger 10/22 that only has iron sights, and it is the rifle that I trained on when my eyes were younger to learn to use a rifle. I don't hunt, so my choice of the AR platform here is tactical.

This AR came with no optics of any kind, and was procured with the specific intention of putting a scope on it so that I could have a rifle that I would be more effective with at distance --and that delivered more damage-- than the smaller .22lr caliber. So it now has a scope, but I need good irons, or at least something for up-close shooting. I'm not trying to impress anyone with my tacticool gear, nor to impress anyone with my exceptional marksmanship skills on bare metal. I have to mount my close-range option offset because the optical scope is on top. I have half of a very good iron solution with flip up KAC back sights, but the front sights+picatinny-offset will set me back as much as a decent prism optic which I have decided is probably better with my inferior vision.

And that's about it. With those things in mind, what light and clear prism solution would work well at a 45 degree offset?
Last edited by Saganesque on Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mason wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am If you really want to learn to shoot, put your money into a set of military style irons and a quality quick release mount for your scope. The AR is a 300 yard with irons platform. Figure that out first and then add the scope back. There is a reason the military uses iron sights to train and the vast majority of soldiers carry nothing more than an M4 or M16 with a 1x ACOG red dot. Most other AR accessories are mainly "shit of goat" designed to do nothing more than empty your wallet.
This is actually the direction I was originally going, but I don't want to ever have to take anything off the rifle to shoot it. The scope stays, so it will be offset irons or a prism, and the prism is easier for me to peer through to obtain a target. I can give up on magnification because I already have that in the scope.

Mason wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:30 pm No clue. I would never do that, hence have not researched it. My AR's have plain old military irons and/or a low magnification (1-4 power) scope.
This. Red dots (Aimpoint, MRO) also work and I prefer them due to shitty vision (but I can still shoot irons). For a do all AR, you're at a distinct disadvantage with a 3X on the low end and having to roll a rifle to use an alternative to sight for near targets, especially if you're not practicing that all the time. If shit falls apart (your stated reason for this particular rifle), most/all valid targets will be at close range, just like if shit doesn't fall apart and self defense is necessary. The vast majority of us won't be going to war even if things were to devolve to that point, we'll be protecting our families. Plan accordingly.

I have one AR with a 2x7 scope on it. It is for putting holes in paper for fun.

featureless wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:47 pm
Mason wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:30 pm No clue. I would never do that, hence have not researched it. My AR's have plain old military irons and/or a low magnification (1-4 power) scope.
This. Red dots (Aimpoint, MRO) also work and I prefer them due to shitty vision (but I can still shoot irons). For a do all AR, you're at a distinct disadvantage with a 3X on the low end and having to roll a rifle to use an alternative to sight for near targets,
Not sure I understand this part. Wouldn't I have to roll it anyway even if the low end were higher?

Saganesque wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:31 pm
This. Red dots (Aimpoint, MRO) also work and I prefer them due to shitty vision (but I can still shoot irons). For a do all AR, you're at a distinct disadvantage with a 3X on the low end and having to roll a rifle to use an alternative to sight for near targets,
Not sure I understand this part. Wouldn't I have to roll it anyway even if the low end were higher?
Yes, that's why magnification is not recommended as a primary sighting system on a defensive rifle. You can get a LPVO and run it at 1x or 1.5x and still manage close range shots fine. 3x is pushing it. Personally, if this is your go to defensive rifle, I'd remove the optic entirely and go with either irons or a quality red dot without a magnifier. You'll never need 3x let alone 9x so you're paying a weight and function penalty for something you won't use--at least not defensively.

I'm not sure why 3 x 9 scopes are so common. I hate them, even for big game hunting. 3x is too much for brush shots and 9x makes you think you're better than you are, leading to bad shots and lots of tracking. I like a 1-4x that you can use with both eyes open at 1x for fast brush shooting but only goes to 4x so you're not so tempted to take a marginal shot. If you can't hit a deer with 4x it's probably too long of a shot. I understand that the OP isn't planning on hunting but the same applies to defense. This is just an explanation of why I set my rifles up like I do.

-John Cleese

This. Red dots (Aimpoint, MRO) also work and I prefer them due to shitty vision (but I can still shoot irons). For a do all AR, you're at a distinct disadvantage with a 3X on the low end and having to roll a rifle to use an alternative to sight for near targets, especially if you're not practicing that all the time. If shit falls apart (your stated reason for this particular rifle), most/all valid targets will be at close range, just like if shit doesn't fall apart and self defense is necessary. The vast majority of us won't be going to war even if things were to devolve to that point, we'll be protecting our families. Plan accordingly.

I have one AR with a 2x7 scope on it. It is for putting holes in paper for fun.
Well, I don't know the return policy for the scope and mount, but if I can recover the funds spent for it I'll run up the bill for the other half of the KAC sights for primaries. I'll need to switch a lot of things out. Thanks for the thoughts, though I admit I'm damned skeptical of using iron sights with my vision as it is. It's deteriorated significantly in the last year. Getting old is turning out to be just as fun as I was always told it was going to be, only more so. Covid is a bonus benefit, because I still haven't been able to get an optical appt. :thanks: