Citroën’s new Ami

Charges in three hours.
Classed as a light quadricycle, the Ami is, Citroën says, an “urban mobility object”. All-electric, 2.4 metres long and 1.4m wide, with a top speed of 45km/h (28mph) and a range of 75km (46 miles), it can be driven in France without a full licence by anyone aged 14 or over.
(can't get the pic to post. It's cute)

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... -can-drive

Eight grand American. I might consider one for around town.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Citroën’s new Ami

As appealing as that is the speed limit in my neighborhood is higher than it's top speed. And on the two main roads my neighborhood fronts the speed limit is double it's maximum speed.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Reminds me of the Smart for Two made by Mercedes, which are no longer sold in the US. They were gas not electric. Citroen is owned by Peugeot. The Ami is really small, personally I like more metal around me and 28 mph wouldn't work for me even in town.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sig230 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:35 am As appealing as that is the speed limit in my neighborhood is higher than it's top speed. And on the two main roads my neighborhood fronts the speed limit is double it's maximum speed.
It’s not about you or ‘Murrica and our ridiculous penchant for unnecessarily huge gas guzzling vehicles and speed limits. Don’t make me say ‘OK Boomer”.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Post WWII up to 1990 the Citroen 2CV were everywhere in Europe, it had a 2 cylinder air cooled flat engine and a roll back canvas roof and got up to 60 mpg. It competed with the VW Beetle and the Fiat 500.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Mason wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:39 am
sig230 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:35 am As appealing as that is the speed limit in my neighborhood is higher than it's top speed. And on the two main roads my neighborhood fronts the speed limit is double it's maximum speed.
It’s not about you or ‘Murrica and our ridiculous penchant for unnecessarily huge gas guzzling vehicles and speed limits. Don’t make me say ‘OK Boomer”.
You are free to say most any fool thing you want. But the design is simply a non-starter where I live. It's cute though and certainly designed for fourteen year olds.
jim

And you are free to live in A fossil fuel guzzling, climate change inducing fool way, I guess. Even our American “liberals” just don’t fucking get it, nor care. It’s why we’re fucked and the rest of the world think we’re idiots.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Mason wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:17 am And you are free to live in A fossil fuel guzzling, climate change inducing fool way, I guess. Even our American “liberals” just don’t fucking get it, nor care. It’s why we’re fucked and the rest of the world think we’re idiots.
Thank you!
jim

This thread just reminds me of the time a writer at Jalopnik talked his bosses into buying him a Changli the cheapest road-capable EV on the market, and imported it from China. Yes, it's a glorified golf-cart. Here - this is a link to the entire series about his experiences.
https://jalopnik.com/tag/changli
Torchinsky is a talented and hilarious writer, and I highly recommend this whole series for anyone with a love for EVs but a distaste for Musk.

sig230 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:28 am
Mason wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:17 am And you are free to live in A fossil fuel guzzling, climate change inducing fool way, I guess. Even our American “liberals” just don’t fucking get it, nor care. It’s why we’re fucked and the rest of the world think we’re idiots.
Thank you!
Yeah--same same. In town for errands shopping appointments and so on--almost all the driving we do if we work from home. And for a retired old fart, I just take my wife to appts, do the shopping and so on, and drive to the range. I walk two blocks to the hippie co-op and six blocks to the brewery. I can do it all at 25 mph or walking. I do think high speed, long distance driving will always be a thing. Maybe not in individually-owned electric vehicles, maybe collectively-owned. My son, a pilot, belongs to a large club where they all collectively own and maintain all the planes.

A mind is a difficult thing to change. Difficult--not impossible.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Anyone read anything about the designed range per charge? Battery tech being what it is currently we can expect the actual range to drop over time. (Edit: 70km/43.5 miles.)

This is not a car. It’s not meant to replace cars. It is a new form of personal in-city transportation well suited to busy city streets. I believe the designers at Citroën have carved out a market for their creation.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 am Anyone read anything about the designed range per charge? Battery tech being what it is currently we can expect the actual range to drop over time. (Edit: 70km/43.5 miles.)

This is not a car. It’s not meant to replace cars. It is a new form of personal in-city transportation well suited to busy city streets. I believe the designers at Citroën have carved out a market for their creation.
And it might even be practical in some cities, but only a very limited set of US cities. But the reality is that for much of the United States it is a non-starter.
jim

sig230 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:58 pm
Bisbee wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 am Anyone read anything about the designed range per charge? Battery tech being what it is currently we can expect the actual range to drop over time. (Edit: 70km/43.5 miles.)

And it might even be practical in some cities, but only a very limited set of US cities. But the reality is that for much of the United States it is a non-starter.
By area, sure - but not by population. It's like those county maps of red-vote vs. blue-vote. If you just look at surface area, the US looks awfully red, even though we win the popular vote.

Personally, I prefer mass transit. Europe does it pretty damn well, even compared to "good" American systems. But I walk to work.

wings wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:55 pm
sig230 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:58 pm

By area, sure - but not by population. It's like those county maps of red-vote vs. blue-vote. If you just look at surface area, the US looks awfully red, even though we win the popular vote.

Personally, I prefer mass transit. Europe does it pretty damn well, even compared to "good" American systems. But I walk to work.
I wish we would get serious about mass transit here. It really should be a game changer in the US but one with little to no support. So I simply limit how much I drive; about 7000 miles since 2015.
jim

highdesert wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 am

Post WWII up to 1990 the Citroen 2CV were everywhere in Europe, it had a 2 cylinder air cooled flat engine and a roll back canvas roof and got up to 60 mpg. It competed with the VW Beetle and the Fiat 500.
Ah, the Citroen Duck / Canard! Most basic of basic transportation! Windows folded down, and it looks like they do on the new Ami. Some had canvas seats. Renault had a competitor to the Duck, too. The Beetle was a Mercedes in comparison!
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

highdesert wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 am

I had two of this one. Unbrrakable and almost impossible to roll over.

That would be perfect for San Francisco except there's no charging infrastructure worth a shit.

I got my Leaf for $12,000 after rebates, etc. and it'll do 80+ miles in city driving easy (old tech). I commuted in it for 3 years.

My newer Bolt cost a lot (not Tesla levels, but still a lot) more but will give an honest 200+ miles at 65 mph. My daughter now drives the Leaf. But, and it's a big but for high density city dwellers, I have a driveway with my own charger. When I lived in San Fransisco, it would have been infeasible even if the technology had existed back then.