Re: Any other Witches/Wiccans/Wooy Types?

Wings, I can only comment on what you post. I don't know anything about you other than what I see in your response. Your response indicated that you don't have a lot of experience in the broader community. Your second response doesn't even make sense in parts and create a dubious equivalence between "witchy types" and liberal gun owners. I guess your communication paradigm is just confusing me. :)
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm
damnitman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am I believe that all religions exist to only provide comfort for those who are unable to accept the fact that they are mortal. To me, religion is too high price to pay for such an illusion of immortality. I am not willing to suspend my judgement for a false promise.
So then why did you feel the need to comment or post an anti religion stand point on a post made by someone (me) looking to connect with similar people in conversation?
I was being polite in not posting what I really think about Wiccans. This is open to the public, with the blessings of the owners. If you throw an idea out there, you need to expect comments, some of which you may not like. If you want a single mindset and forum approval or validation, got to a Wiccan forum and engage in the mental masturbation that single issue forums indulge in. Or, be prepared to have others engage you outside your comfort zone. In other words, grow up...

I hope that answers your question.

Oh got it, you're just being contentious to be contentious. Well done I guess. I hope you got something out of it. I mean it is possibly one of the rudest behavior patterns I can think of. If you were at a party and a bunch of turtle enthusiasts are enjoying a conversation about turtles would you walk over and say, "Oh man I fucking hate turtles!" and then proceed to tell a group of turtle lovers why you hate turtles? That's the most socially clueless thing a person can do.
I don't want a single mindset and I don't expect approval from everyone at any time but I do expect people to contribute to a conversation.

I love it when someone who acts like a passive aggressive ten year old man child tells me to grow up.

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:27 pm Oh got it, you're just being contentious to be contentious. Well done I guess. I hope you got something out of it. I mean it is possibly one of the rudest behavior patterns I can think of. If you were at a party and a bunch of turtle enthusiasts are enjoying a conversation about turtles would you walk over and say, "Oh man I fucking hate turtles!" and then proceed to tell a group of turtle lovers why you hate turtles? That's the most socially clueless thing a person can do.
I don't want a single mindset and I don't expect approval from everyone at any time but I do expect people to contribute to a conversation.

I love it when someone who acts like a passive aggressive ten year old man child tells me to grow up.
Thank you very much!

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:27 pm If you were at a party and a bunch of turtle enthusiasts are enjoying a conversation about turtles would you walk over and say, "Oh man I fucking hate turtles!" and then proceed to tell a group of turtle lovers why you hate turtles?
I certainly hate THIS Turtle!
McConnellasColSanders.jpg
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

SpaceRanger42 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:48 pm
damnitman wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:11 am I believe that all religions exist to only provide comfort for those who are unable to accept the fact that they are mortal. To me, religion is too high price to pay for such an illusion of immortality. I am not willing to suspend my judgement for a false promise.
So then why did you feel the need to comment or post an anti religion stand point on a post made by someone (me) looking to connect with similar people in conversation?
Agreed.

Let's be civil people. This is not a "dump on religion" thread. If anyone wants to talk about their negative opinions on religion please do so in a different thread.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

Not an equivalence, a simile.

You had the experience of growing up in a structured community. That's extremely rare in my experience. Most of the ones I've met, learned from books. Their community was the local craft store, and I'm not talking Hobby Lobby. No covens, no hierarchy, just people hanging around the shop. Different parts of the country, different experiences. I've got ordained family serving the community in the role of a witch, in a strictly individual context. No circles, no covens, but open to help anyone who comes calling.

Not every liberal gets into guns through a group like LGC, nor ever joins one. Many just are liberals who end up owning guns. I would hope that they vastly outnumber us. And we're in no place to play gatekeeper, except for weeding out the ones who might just turn out violent.

My sense is, that's true for pagan practitioners as well. There's a wide swath of folk who never join a coven, never go looking for one, but they pick up some of the books, something clicks, and boom, hello operator, moon calling, will you accept the charges?

Different paths, neither better or worse.

I've know a lot of solitary practioners. That's how I got my start. I took an introductory class at a local magick shop, read books by Scott Cunnigham, and just practiced on my own. Eventually I got involved in teh local community and was initiated into a proper coven, but that only lasted a couple of years for me. (I'm afraid my depression issues at the time caused friction with other coven members.) After that I practiced on my own again for a few years.
106+ recreational uses of firearms
1 defensive use
0 people injured
0 people killed

I admit I am a tiny bit biased against most covens I have met unless they were part of a larger organization like CoG or Reweaving or some such. But I have come across a lot of small working groups, circles, what have you that really had their shit together. But I think that a coven really needs to operate like a mutual assistance group and I have met a few people who were more interested in telling me all about how they are the 33rd order of the grand high poobah. If someone is more interested in self aggrandizement than they are facilitating the group dynamic I just let them float on by. But here I am considering looking for a new group especially if I can find a good fit who are firearm friendly (i am not a gun nut, i am a weapons nut but that's true of a lot of us here) Eris, I feel ya on the depression thing. When I get the depression I tend to isolate and push people away. It's something I am pretty much always working on.

Late 60's early 70's I was really into Carlos Castaneda "The Teachings of Don Juan" series of books. Brujo training.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carlos+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Then later Jose Silva 'Mind Control Method.

https://www.google.com/search?q=carlos+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

That was my extent of alternates to organized religion. Problem is I can't remember much, and it has little to do with my current atrophied and aged mind, but more to do with nature and man made substances consumed in massive quantities in the day. Cleaned up my act when traveling, living and working as expat due to draconian 3rd world law - think 'Midnight Express' - always thought going to an American prison was gonna be much more hospitable than Latin America or Asia.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

SubRosa wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:46 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:40 am Crazy bit of trivia: The "Midnight Express" prison in Istanbul is now a Four Seasons 5-Star hotel!
That's Turkey for you, not to be cornfused with Thanksgiving... :lol:

SR
A beautiful country, with warm, friendly people. Totally corrupted by that populist bastard Erdoğan.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I'm an Episcopalian which means a 100% Christian that still supports matching the young boys and girls up by using the May Pole and not just enjoying Halloween but even having the appropriate prayer for the night.

From ghoulies and ghosties
and long leggedy beasties
and things that go bump in the night
O Lord, protect us.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:49 am
SubRosa wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:46 am
YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:40 am Crazy bit of trivia: The "Midnight Express" prison in Istanbul is now a Four Seasons 5-Star hotel!
That's Turkey for you, not to be cornfused with Thanksgiving... :lol:

SR
A beautiful country, with warm, friendly people. Totally corrupted by that populist bastard Erdoğan.
Not to mention making some really nice pistols. One of my favorites is my TISAS Zigana Sport - fine machine work and sight plane that makes me more accurate, low recoil and easy to jack slide - made me a 'devout user', to stay on subject. :D
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

SubRosa wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:57 am All it takes is one real paranormal experience to really enhance alternative belief systems...

SR
Never had a paranormal experience. Never will. That's not how the cosmos is organized. Any event that seems "paranormal" is either a confusion about what was witnessed or a revelation of Natural Law that we have not figured out yet. Just thing: Magnetism and the magnetic compass were once seen as "paranormal". Things we take for granted every day would be seen as "magical" 50 or 100 years ago. Before 1903, flying like a bird was "paranormal".

Or, as Arthur C. Clarke put it: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

I had to read the first book "The Teachings of Don Juan" for a college English class. Was seriously under-whelmed. 'Way too much woo-woo. Didn't have nearly the impact of "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Then again, MC maintenance is far closer to my heart.

Something something Plato's Cave. There's a bunch of philosophers and neurobiologists who will argue that we don't actually experience the natural, physical universe - just the perceptions it leaves on a few pounds of electric meat in our heads.

Religion simply provides a vocabulary to understand the shadows that physics doesn't explain. I'm 'haunted' by the memory of my cats, and regularly 'see' them around the house in their old haunts. They aren't actually there, and they don't register on my retina. My mind simply places the memory of their image where it expects them to be at any given moment. But that's a damned long and unromantic way to explain what most faith traditions have a simple word for. And if the memory of loved ones continues to interact with the squishy electric meat in my head in meaningful ways after they're gone, how is that different in any practical sense?

And there's a lot to appreciate about a love for nature, an appreciation for pretty crystals and nice-smelling herbs, and a healthy dose of disregard for authority - self-proclaimed or otherwise.

Ranger- I totally get that about covens. Totally. I'm not a tiny bit biased. But family? That's different.

I've seen a ghost. So did my assistant, in broad daylight.

Walking down the middle of a road, we stopped and talked with her, didn't realize just what she was until she just disappeared before our eyes.

It was in a restricted access area, and the ranger at the gate said people see her all the time.

Still gives me chills to think about it.

SR
"Oozing charm from every pore, he oiled his way around the floor."

YankeeTarheel wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:01 pm I had to read the first book "The Teachings of Don Juan" for a college English class. Was seriously under-whelmed. 'Way too much woo-woo. Didn't have nearly the impact of "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance". Then again, MC maintenance is far closer to my heart.
I too read "The Teachings of Don Juan" and thought Don Juan took far too much peyote or whatever psychoactive substance he was taking. TV and movies feed all of it, seems like every other movie or series is sci-fi, supernatural, paranormal, superheros, ghosts...major escapism. So much easier for screenwriters, don't research it just make it sci-fi or supernatural or paranormal....
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan