Speer TMJ bullets in 45 acp

Search didnt come up with anything ....
I have some Speer TMJ bullets, trying to figure out loads. Speer online data shows +10% powder vs anybody elses data for 230 grain FMJ. Called Speer & they said it’s different technology than the usual FMJ.
I assume its cause the interweb sez TMJ are electroplated to 0.015 thickness
I get the different technology thing, but putting 6.3 grains of Hodgdon Universal scares me. I’m going to work up, of course, but everybody’s max is 5.4 for FMJ.

A chrono isn’t in the budget, so I’m winging it. I want to end up at about 780 fps, so I’ll be loading below mln.

Anybody else use this who’s still alive to comment?

Re: Speer TMJ bullets in 45 acp

I don't reload, but I have shot Speer factory 230 grain .45. They shoot notably hotter than other brands of .45 ball ammo, such as Federal American Eagle. It feels like some kind of plus load, but is not marketed as such.

I understand the only difference in the bullet itself is that regular FMJ has unplated lead on the back side (inside the shell casing), whereas TMJ is plated on all surfaces.
"To initiate a war of aggression...is the supreme international crime" - Nuremberg prosecutor Robert Jackson, 1946

All of speers data is insane hot. Been that way for as long as I can remember. In my experience, often approaching their max means you're flattening primers. I will not use speers data.

Use the data from the powder manufacturers website instead, and just use regular old FMJ data. Hodgdon says 5.6 max for fmj, and 5.4 max for lead. I'd probably load them all to 5.1gr and call it good. "TMJ" is really just a plated bullet, and conventional wisdom says to pair plated bullets with lead data. For 9 and 45 guns that will readily shoot +p ammo, you can safely use fmj data. It more becomes a question about what springs you're running in your gun though.

Thanks for the help and insight about hot Speer data and loads . 5.1 sounds about right. The RIA GI spring feels like 20+ pounds and I want to use the Wilson 17# spring cause it makes the slide easier to rack with Old Brownings old hands. I’m going to have to experiment with springs and loads and will need advice as I go on. The Interweb talks about using 12# springs. Not sure what power factor they’re using.

I like calling 5.1 good; I am kinda a good enuf reloader. When I used to hunt big game, I used factory Core Lokt loads in the 30-06 and Buffalo Bore in the 44 mag. I mostly reload to get lower power target loads. I use 7/8 oz loads in my 12 ga for sporting clays. An the 30-06 with the 110 gr M1 Carbine bullets & Trail Boss is a fun tin can load and about equal to the old 32/20 for coyotes and small game. Not the best squirrel load though ;-)

I just got my dies and primers and will try 5.1. Prolly be perfect!

Thanks so much!

My newest Speer manual dates from 1998, so they have been showing those Universal loads for at least that long. SAAMI max pressure for 45 ACP is 21,000 psi. Speer says their loads are under that limit.
Hodgdon data for Universal and 45 ACP on their web site shows pressure in cup. SAAMI max pressure for the 45 ACP was 19,900 cup.
If 5.1 grains works, you're all set.

That explains it. The Hodgdon Universal data is at 11,800 cup. I don’t mind loading 44 mag in a revolver to SAMMI spec. Seems like hot loads in a 1911 are just going to beat it (& me) up without much gained

I like reloads that make it all the way out of the barrel. Anything more than that is wasted powder;-)