Holster for Concealed Carry

I want to get a holster for concealed carry and I have no idea where to start. What do ya'll like and what do you look for in comfort/fit/function? IWB/OWB/AIWB/shoulder?

I understand that everyone will like something different, but I'm not sure many shops will be open for me to drop by and try on holsters given COVID. Are there any "fits most" holsters that folks like?

I plan to use this with a Glock 19. I'm undecided if I want to get a red dot or a light for it.

Thanks!

Re: Holster for Concealed Carry

Well here's the good news. Glock 19's are sooooo common that lots of companies make holsters specifically to fit it. So you could buy online and get a decent product.

The bad news is that most all of us have a box/drawer full of holsters we bought and either just didn't like them, or found them to be complete trash. Hopefully with good research,you can reduce the number of discarded holsters.

And last, it's y'all, not ya'll. (Sorry but the southern girl in me just comes out sometimes)

Good luck in your search. If you lived near me I would let you look through my box of discarded holsters to see if one of them might do for you.
Last edited by Hiker on Sat May 09, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

Hah, thanks for the proofread. Yeah, I wanted to avoid the drawer bin full of unused holsters. Any particular ones stand out as being super terrible? I've looked at a bunch of different brands
  • Alien Gear - multiple carry methods on the shapeshifter seem nice, but I've read a bunch of reviews that they're garbage
  • Bravo Concealment - Looks good, most say they're pretty good
  • Vedder - looks pretty good, most say they're pretty good
  • Blackhawk - everyone says stay away from the Serpa
  • Bradford Tactical - looks good, can't find many reviews

Personally, IWB is a waste of money, time and comfort. OWB concealed under untucked shirt is my preference. I'm no longer in the corporate world so dressing in suits being presentable to customers, clients and suppliers don't apply. It is a rare occasion I IWB. YMMV. I've tried them all, ankle, belly band, tactical undergarments, pocket holsters, MOB, shoulder, IWB/OWB, sticky, appendix - and OWB belt holsters win by miles, with or without gun retention (thumb break, snap in, etc). Have a beer case full of holsters, over flowed to other locations, some unknown or remembered. You will eventually settle on what works for you personally - in most cases many $$$$$$ later. :welcome:
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.

Okay so this is a huge topic with many caveats and will require a few questions to point you in the right direction, though ultimately you will end up buying multiple holsters before finding what works for you in a particular situation, which can change based on weather, dress code, and activities performed. None of these questions can tell you what will work for you, but they can help you eliminate options that probably won't work for you.

First, what's your height, weight, and body type? Right off the batt this can be a big determining factor. Also, how do you dress on a daily basis? Are you willing and able to change how you dress on a daily basis? Do you plan to carry at work and is there a specific dress code you have to adhere to? Do you do a lot of manual labor, specifically like lifting heavy things that maybe be pressed up against your body?

With a little more detailed information about you, your lifestyle, and intentions for carrying, it'll help us eliminate some options and make some more specific suggestions.

Oh, golly, I always love these threads.

Most guys I know who carry have like seven other holsters in their closets and one on their gun. That's a huge amount of money. I think you should do what a lot of folks, including me, do: spend now to get a custom made holster for your gun. I never looked back.

Skinny guys: under the arm pit horizontal short barrel. More robust gents have more options. Women are the toughest to get the right holsters for, as fashion does not allow for enough bagginess of clothing. Purses are popular up here in northern California where walnut trees out number people.

I have popcorn.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Male, 5'9, 190#. Around 25% body fat which I carry around the gut, so I guess I'm technically an endomorph...?

I typically wear Prana Style Zion Pants or Ferrosi pants with a short sleeve collared shirt or a graphic shirt. My work policy doesn't allow weapons on company property or while doing company business, so this would mostly be for going out in the city.

I also do a lot of running/hiking/climbing, so I was planning to get a separate kit for that (probably Hill People Kit Bag). Open to suggestions for that as well.

CDFingers wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:49 am Oh, golly, I always love these threads.

Most guys I know who carry have like seven other holsters in their closets and one on their gun. That's a huge amount of money. I think you should do what a lot of folks, including me, do: spend now to get a custom made holster for your gun. I never looked back.

Skinny guys: under the arm pit horizontal short barrel. More robust gents have more options. Women are the toughest to get the right holsters for, as fashion does not allow for enough bagginess of clothing. Purses are popular up here in northern California where walnut trees out number people.

I have popcorn.

CDFingers
Any recommendations for custom holster manufacturers?

pstran42 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:13 am
CDFingers wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:49 am Oh, golly, I always love these threads.

I have popcorn.

CDFingers
Any recommendations for custom holster manufacturers?
Search here "Rocky River Leather". He's a member and makes excellent holsters.

bajajoaquin wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:16 am
Hiker wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:42 am

And last, it's y'all, not ya'll. (Sorry but the southern girl in me just comes out sometimes)
Isn’t it technically all y’all? I thought southerners knew y’all was singular. Or did I just wade into the “is Kentucky in the south debate?”
Actually, all y'all is creeping into wide usage. Even in northern California where we're pretty isolated from cultural trends that do not refer to farming, ranching, or drinking beer.

CDFingers

Or you can buy some leather and a few tools and get a book. Making holsters is a good way to spend a locked down (or in MN, a winter) evening. Not that hard to make a really nice holster out of really good leather. Of course, it takes a few tries to get it right, so you still wind up with a holster drawer. And if you get good at it, your friends and family will want you to make them some.

Isn’t it technically all y’all? I thought southerners knew y’all was singular. Or did I just wade into the “is Kentucky in the south debate?”
It’s youse. Where youse from witcher funny accents?

pstran42 wrote:Male, 5'9, 190#. Around 25% body fat which I carry around the gut, so I guess I'm technically an endomorph...?

I typically wear Prana Style Zion Pants or Ferrosi pants with a short sleeve collared shirt or a graphic shirt. My work policy doesn't allow weapons on company property or while doing company business, so this would mostly be for going out in the city.

I also do a lot of running/hiking/climbing, so I was planning to get a separate kit for that (probably Hill People Kit Bag). Open to suggestions for that as well.
With your body type I'd stray away from appendix IWB, or at least try other methods first.

Sounds like your best bet would be a belt-loop OWB holster that holds the firearm close to your body, or at least that's where I would start. An IWB somewhere between the 6 and 4 o'clock positions might also do the trick for you. You'd probably want to favor the button-up collared shirts while carrying. Darker colors with patterns also help to reduce the appearance of printing, or the outline of the firearm showing under your clothes. The good news is, nobody is looking and nobody cares. Once you find what works best for you and you're comfortable carrying, nobody else will ever know unless you tell them.

Marlene wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:57 am

It’s youse. Where youse from witcher funny accents?
Bajajoaquin: Y'all can be singular or plural. All y'all is for clarification, or sometimes emphasis.

Marlene, language is so wonderful, thanks for sharing another variation. It brought to mind other variations. My Jewish friend from NYC always used the 'Yinz.' My step grandmother was from the other side of the mountain where they didn't say y'all, they said, 'You'uns'

And to pstran42, many apologies for hijacking your thread. I'll stop now.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

I am on the short and fat side, I prefer outside of the waistband (OWB) holsters.

Some have already named some that they like, or have tried. To name a few others, I like:
Kramer Leather - His real speciality is in Horse leather holsters. I have several of the horse leather holsters. They are very thin, light, and stiff. The stiffness aids in retention. They also look great. However, they are not inexpensive.
Outlaw Holsters - Cheap Kydex, Let's face it, cheap Kydex holsters are all about the same. They have a huge selection of colours and print patterns. This company also sells on Amazon, so check both their site and Amazon for the best price. Several people, who have these, reverse the belt loops to the front and wear them inside the belt, but still outside the pants. In that configuration, they conceal very well.
Tagua Gunleather - Good leather (and a lot of other styles) and good prices This is my go-to for traditional (cow) leather; however, they have a lot of other styles.
Safariland ALS - These are active retention holsters. They are not the most concealable without a cover garment; however, they are not expensive and have great retention. They fit a wide variety of pistols and recommend them for active use. However, they do have an unusual retention method, when wearing the holster it is intuitive and easy to use. However, even knowing how it works, it is very hard for anyone but the person wearing it to remove the pistol (I see this as a huge plus).
This isn't a single holster, it is a line of holsters. I prefer the Model 7377 7TS™ ALS® Concealment Belt Loop Holster. They also have models intended for active and tactical use. These are in the form of duty, military, drop leg, and shoulder variants. Other than the fact that they are bulky, I would recommend these without hesitation for a new carrier. As far as the bulkiness, I spend most of my time in states where open carry is legal, so a holster whose only flaw is that it isn't great at concealment is not really an issue.

Of all of these, which am I wearing right now?
None of them. In the summer I wear a belt pouch holster. There is no need to worry about concealing them and they don't shout "gun." Probably the best known is the Sneaky Pete line; however, there are plenty of other makers. The only problem I see is that a pouch for a Glick 19 is going to be very large. I use mine with a Glock 42.
"Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” Matt. 25:40

I’m 5’7”, 175lbs, carry my weight around the mid drift. I prefer iwb appendix in a sticky holster. I do have Alien Wear’s shapeshifter for nearly all types (paddle, iwb, owb, pocket, etc) Like everyone has said, it come down to personal preference and how important conceal is over comfort and functionality. I got a drawer of holsters too, kydex specific fit from concealmentexpress.com are quick shipped and affordable. 🤷‍♂️ Those sticky holsters are comfy and safe, they do tend to move around a bit when doing very physical activities. But that little bit of movement is kind of good when driving, just moves over enough to not dig in.

Have fun!😉👍
To learn, you must be willing to challenge what you currently hold to be true. :crazy:

Hiker wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 9:52 am And to pstran42, many apologies for hijacking your thread. I'll stop now.
Not me. I have no qualms, especially when there are actual rules.
allyall.jpg
For the record, if you choose under the arm pit, it's more comfy with two shoulder straps (R + L) than one.

CDFingers

Well, back on topic...
You can either go to a good quality shop that will permit you to try before you buy or you can do what everyone one else does. Keep buying until you hit on one you like.

The benefit of the latter is the drawer full of holsters you'll eventually acquire. Might I suggest that you keep the original packaging so you can donate the discards to the club raffle. I've dumped a bunch that way.

All told, I've put a fair chunk into coming up with what I like. Turns out it was one of the cheapest out there. A Don Hume OWB JIT Slide. Cost me $25 from the source.

Another option is to have one made. The other of my favorites is a custom IWB (a gift from my daughter's former beloved). Not as expensive as you might think. And because the 19 is so common, I'd be surprised if there was a craftsperson out there who didn't have a blank for it.

The hardest part of the venture is deciding what you like. Keep in mind that no sooner than you settle on an exotic custom Small Of The Back, get it made and paid for, you discover that you really prefer appendix carry.

A month after that arrives you'll get promoted and need a shoulder type to match both a navy and a gray suit.

It's a work in progress.
Subliterate Buffooery of the right...
Literate Ignorance of the left...
We Are So Screwed

After reading through the comments on this thread I can safely say that OWB with an untucked shirt for me is a non starter. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Pretty soon you think you can carry a long barreled 1911. Good luck with that.

IWB can be uncomfortable for long periods of time especially when sitting. So forget about long barrels. Keep it under 4".

I carry a Ruger LCR with a 3 1/2" barrel with a model specific Aliengear IWB. For me the price was right and I'm satisfied with the quality. I have a belt pouch for 2 speedloaders. The problem with model specific concealed carry holsters is that you can end up paying hundreds of dollars and still not be satisfied.

pstran42 One thing to keep in mind when buying. Go to the Gun store with your gun unloaded and in a rug or box. Have an empty magazine with you but not in the gun. Now start trying out holsters. Note which ones are flimsy, which ones are very thick. Put them on your belt. Bend over like you're picking up a penny. If a chair is available, sit down. Move as if you are getting in and out of the car. Do some jumping jacks. And most importantly, can you re-holster your gun with one hand.
And all this is just a start on choosing the right holster.

Thanks Hiker! Yeah, I just got the Cloaktuck in the mail and....it doesn't work for me. I'm used to standing for 8+ hours a day and carrying pretty heavy gear around my waist and shoulders. But just having my pistol in that IWB holster made my back really uncomfortable. Going to need to play around with a few other styles, or try moving the holster from 4 oclock to 230 or something

I just ordered the Alien Gear Shapeshifter core carry pack. It seemed a nominal amount more considering the 4 carry options? Also, if I like it, I can buy shells for future handguns. Seems super flexible, and from what I can ascertain, I think it is a well-fleshed out concept. They have a massive delay in shipping right now, but I will post a review once I get it. I honestly don't think I will carry much, but I wanted to get a good holster. Considering my last holster was an old-school Uncle Mike shoulder holster, this should be a major upgrade? We'll see 🤞