Re: Holster for Concealed Carry

Yes, I do have several Box of Shame assortments. Yet every once in a while I find that one of the holsters from a Box of Shame assortment is exactly what I need for that particular occasion.

My normal wear is shorts and a t-shirt with perhaps a light weight unbuttoned untucked over-shirt. When wearing an over-shirt my preferred holster has long been a shoulder holster; horizontal for smaller handguns, vertical for the larger one.

I also enjoy OWB holsters and there it is slight cant strong side and retention strap for revolvers except when a Kydex snap fit holster is used. Most of my Kydex holsters are paddle style.

I do own quite a few IWB holsters but they all reside in a Box of Shame for most of their lives. Every once in a while as mentioned above one might get to go WalkAbout.

Regardless of what Primary Carry method I choose there will also be a fallback; most often in a pocket holster but in the case of a few really safe handguns loose in an otherwise empty pocket.

My preference for shoulder holster is mainly for access. It is the most accessible style whether standing, seated, in a car when belted. It is also the most secure style to prevent a snatch & grab.

I prefer leather over Kydex, custom fit over generic, secured over unsecured.

I have far more Bucheimer holsters than any other make.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Gack! First things first - decide how you want to carry and where. Then find the clothes and holsters that support that style.

I'm a functionality whore so I carry Appendix IWB. But I had to lose 30 pounds and find the right holsters...works for me, might not work for you. I carry Appendix with a high cap pistol and a NYR (New York Reload - BUG/backup) in a pocket. Right now my main squeeze is a full size Beretta Px4 9mm and a Sig Sauer P290RS in a pocket with an extra mag for each.

All my holsters are High Noon. Wont use anything else...except for pockets and then it's the Super Fly by DeSantis.

https://www.highnoonholsters.com/

High Noons IWB light duty holsters are a great way to test without breaking the bank. You *will* buy a drawer full of holsters you'll never use looking for the right one and it is not easy - one size does not fit all. You have to try and this is the primary reason my Wife and I run a small CCL group here. We have all the IWB/OWB/leather/kydex and all the guns for people to try and walk around the house for a few days. There is no other way except to try it and see.

https://www.highnoonholsters.com/leathe ... b-holsters

A good belt is even more important than a good holster. I'm a big fan of pocket carry...especially rear pocket/wallet pocket. I carry a Sig P290 now but had a Glock G26 for some time and it rides really well in a rear pocket or the side pocket of a pair of Tactical/Paramedic pants...

DeSantisSuperFly3.jpg
G43_SuperFly.jpg

How to wear and how to carry is a massive undertaking depending on what you want to carry/have to carry and how you dress,where you go, your body shape and size, torso length/girth and your proficiency level. I used to carry Glocks Appendix until I started walking dogs in 100 degree heat and came home to a pistol literally soaked in condensation. So I need to remove the gun and wipe it down...so I need to jack rounds out of it and *that* makes for a higher incidence of ND's. So I changed to a full size Stainless Beretta and when it gets soaked it gets wiped down hot (with the decocker down it's a brick) and set on the dresser...no jacking rounds in and out.

This is a tough question about where to carry and how/what. Probably more important than deciding to carry in the first place.

VooDoo
Tyrants disarm the people they intend to oppress.

I am sworn to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

pstran42 wrote:Hah, thanks for the proofread. Yeah, I wanted to avoid the drawer bin full of unused holsters. Any particular ones stand out as being super terrible? I've looked at a bunch of different brands
  • Alien Gear - multiple carry methods on the shapeshifter seem nice, but I've read a bunch of reviews that they're garbage
  • Bravo Concealment - Looks good, most say they're pretty good
  • Vedder - looks pretty good, most say they're pretty good
  • Blackhawk - everyone says stay away from the Serpa
  • Bradford Tactical - looks good, can't find many reviews
So my first holster was an alien gear for my previous firearm & I loved it. They don’t make the modular system for my current firearm so I have the cloak tuck 3.5. I also have the universal tuck. They’re my favorite holsters. I carry at the 4:30 position. I tried to do appendix carry with Bravo, Clinger, Vetter & maybe one other but no matter what I did, that shit dig into my groin/thigh/ crease...the universal tuck is doable though. I’m 5’9 with a belly. The CT 3.5 is comfortable standing, sitting, maybe dancing...that’s my opinion but wouldn’t count them out. Lifetime guarantee & you can return for full refund (I believe) if you don’t like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mandaliberal wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:24 am
pstran42 wrote:Hah, thanks for the proofread. Yeah, I wanted to avoid the drawer bin full of unused holsters. Any particular ones stand out as being super terrible? I've looked at a bunch of different brands
  • Alien Gear - multiple carry methods on the shapeshifter seem nice, but I've read a bunch of reviews that they're garbage
  • Bravo Concealment - Looks good, most say they're pretty good
  • Vedder - looks pretty good, most say they're pretty good
  • Blackhawk - everyone says stay away from the Serpa
  • Bradford Tactical - looks good, can't find many reviews
So my first holster was an alien gear for my previous firearm & I loved it. They don’t make the modular system for my current firearm so I have the cloak tuck 3.5. I also have the universal tuck. They’re my favorite holsters. I carry at the 4:30 position. I tried to do appendix carry with Bravo, Clinger, Vetter & maybe one other but no matter what I did, that shit dig into my groin/thigh/ crease...the universal tuck is doable though. I’m 5’9 with a belly. The CT 3.5 is comfortable standing, sitting, maybe dancing...that’s my opinion but wouldn’t count them out. Lifetime guarantee & you can return for full refund (I believe) if you don’t like it.

It's interesting that once again the old maxim of different strokes holds true. I have two Alien Gear holsters and both reside in one of the Box of Shame. Surprisingly they have a shell designed for the Colt 1903 and while it does kinda work I found it was as near impossible to conceal and uncomfortable as my earlier AG attempt.
To be vintage it must be older than me!
The next gun I buy will be the next to last gun I ever buy. PROMISE!
jim

Holster for Concealed Carry

It's interesting that once again the old maxim of different strokes holds true. I have two Alien Gear holsters and both reside in one of the Box of Shame. Surprisingly they have a shell designed for the Colt 1903 and while it does kinda work I found it was as near impossible to conceal and uncomfortable as my earlier AG attempt.

Oh absolutely, my brother loves his Vedder but although a great holster as far as quality, it didn’t work for me.

I intended to get this review up sooner, but I received my Alien Gear Shapeshifter kit. I do not carry, or intend to very often, but I did to try out the holster after I got it. My Beretta 92FS is probably not the most practical CCW, but this holster was AMAZING! It was super comfortable, concealed IWB very well considering the size. I had it on about half the day when I went to the range, sitting in the car etc. Didn't really notice it after an hour. So just from this perspective, I am sold on it. But that's not all as they say on TV...the modularity of the kit is brilliant. There are so many options to switch from (OWB, AIWB, other ways to mount, paddle, etc.), and it is very easy to configure after a slightly difficult initial learning curve. Also, should I add a new pistol, I just need a new shell and it will integrate seamlessly. I honestly can't see a reason to ever get out of this holster ecosystem? Hope this is helpful!

The training you will get from most States' concealed weapon training is just a start. The pistol you have chosen is full size. You are about average size. There are a wide variety of ways and positions to carry: IWB or OWB at about 3 O'Clock, Appendix IWB at about 1:30, "Thunderwear", middle of the back, and others. I usually carry IWB, but sometimes use an OWB "pancake" holster, with similar results. You should try several. You should get further training in this: consider going to a place such as Front Sight, in Nevada. Soon, you will have a large box full of holsters you have tried, and found wanting. You are likely to try more types of firearms.

Pay attention to safety concerns. The absolute fastest position to carry a pistol in is probably AWIB, but if you do something stupid with your trigger finger during you draw, you may puncture your Femoral artery, and bleed out in seconds. Using IWB holsters, I had several instances of the pistol being pushed up at the muzzle when I sat down, so any holster I use now has a thumb-break or similar feature. Keep some method of securing the pistol in your car and other places, for when you have to enter no-carry zones. I wear & keep low capacity spare magazines around my home, in my car, and where I work, in case.

Wow. Restarting a thread that is almost a year and a half old!

I happened on a link to the Sneaky Pete holsters, and searched this forum for references to that brand. The search function brought me to this thread.

The driver for my interest is that for an assortment of reasons, I often wear my shirt tucked in but want to carry with some level of concealment--while wearing a kilt, for example. Other options I've tried in combination with the kilt included a SmartCarry (think, "under the kilt codpiece with a pistol in it"), which made for a VERY slow draw. The belts I wear with my favorite kilts are really WIDE (belt for a carpentry tool rig wide), so the most common clips or loops won't work well. I can wear narrower belts with some of my kilts, of course, and for such situations, the Sneaky Pete seems to have some merit.

I have grown a bit regarding holster choice, having read advice on other holsters here and in other places. I have come to disfavor the Bulldog OWB holsters because the release button puts my index finger too close to the trigger. I have a couple of Orpaz holsters for my CZ P10S (and they fit my P10F, of course) that are OWB (one is currently fitted with the Orpaz Molle adapter, the other with their "low rider" belt mount).

My EDC is the P10S, and the Sneaky Pete offering is for the P10C. Not knowing exactly how the pistol is secured in the case, I dropped them a line to check, and the response I got was not very specific. It would seem that, given the size of the pistol, I might do better to try their holster for my M&P Shield 9 instead, as it would look a little less cumbersome.

And I'm rambling on, nattering about, and making less sense as I continue to type...
Eventually I'll figure out this signature thing and decide what I want to put here.

FWIW - I tried a couple of Sneaky Pete's several years ago. Very disappointed even though the holsters were supposedly for my exact pistols. One had a pucker gap so large where the flap folded over grip that you could see pistol (not that most people pay any attention( and the other would pop open as it appeared magnet closure was mislocated. Long story short - returned both for credit and was sorely disappointed at the cost to do so and disappointed they didn't workout as expected. I did like the concept. On the other hand, Sneaky Pete wearer isn't fooling anyone, but it would meet Texas concealed carry laws. Also, felt they were cheaply made and doubted they would last with frequent wear. No idea if they've improved quality since my experience. As I recall in the $30 range each.
"Being Republican is more than a difference of opinion - it's a character flaw." "COVID can fix STUPID!"
The greatest, most aggrieved mistake EVER made in USA was electing DJT as POTUS.