Potential New SBR Project

All of my NFA stamps are for cans. While I wouldn't mind having an SBR or SBS (or even an AOW), it just hasn't tickled my fancy until now.

Why now?

Because https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/mares-leg/ in .44 mag combined with a shoulder stock gets you:

Quick handling and accurate from what I've seen (with the Skinner sights). The thread about levers and SA revolvers (https://theliberalgunclub.com/phpBB3/vi ... =1&t=17757) had me thinking about a good match to either the Super Blackhawk or the 29-3.

Hopefully I'll spend more time out at camp and having an easily accessible/handy carbine with decent energy on target might come in handy. 12.9" barrel (according to BTTI) gives you 1608 fps w/ Federal 240gr Hydra-Shok. Yes, I rounded 12.9" to 13" to get that number on the chart: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

Thoughts anyone?

Re: Potential New SBR Project

Overall, I really like levers (I really want to suppress one!), but I think for myself, the lack of a loading gate is a deal breaker.
And, for only 3.1" more, no SBR tax.

I bought a Rossi/Taurus M92 .357 youth model for my wife to use. 8+1 16" bbl with a smaller stock, it's at the legal length minimum.
Light and super-fast handling.

That said, it is super cool and think you probably won't be really happy until you have one because, 'might come in handy'...

;)

John

RotaryMags wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:54 pm Overall, I really like levers (I really want to suppress one!), but I think for myself, the lack of a loading gate is a deal breaker.

I bought a Rossi/Taurus M92 .357 youth model for my wife to use. 8+1 16" bbl with a smaller stock, it's at the legal length minimum.

That said, it is super cool and think you probably won't be really happy until you have one because, 'might come in handy'...

;)

John
My suppressed .30-30 is fun. Quieter than you'd think.

A quick handling .44 for the woods would be nice. Little more energy than the 8.375" S&W 29 and easier to hit with as well.

KVoimakas wrote:
RotaryMags wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:54 pm Overall, I really like levers (I really want to suppress one!), but I think for myself, the lack of a loading gate is a deal breaker.

;)

John
My suppressed .30-30 is fun. Quieter than you'd think.

A quick handling .44 for the woods would be nice. Little more energy than the 8.375" S&W 29 and easier to hit with as well.
Sorry for dredging up old posts, but did you ever do this KVoimakas? Was thinking I’d made a mistake purchasing a .327 LCR, given ammo shortages. That led me to shoulda/coulda/woulda...and what I SHOULD have done is doubled down on .357 since I have 1.5k or so of that in stash. Something to pair with the GP100 I have. A lever action would fit the bill. An SBRd Henry Mares Leg in .357...wow. There’s just Something about legally putting rifle stocks on pistols (or variants) that appeals to me.

I haven't done it yet. It's on the list of things to do now that the trust is finalized but there's been some interesting job developments so all firearm related stuff has been put on hold for the moment.

Because nothing ever just works the way it should.

One of the big reasons why I wanted a .44 lever is that I have a stash of .44 mag ammo and several revolvers chambered in that caliber. I whole heartedly endorse your .357 SBR. With a 12" barrel, you're going to get better performance than a revolver.

BBTI

158gr JHP Federal out of a 12" barrel; 1654 FPS
Same round out of a 4" 686: 1246fps

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... n-45-colt/

The Rossi M92 also comes in .44 mag. It is also gate-loading and has a good reputation among cowboy competition shooters.

This article brings up a good point about SBR’ing a tube mag levergun from 16” down to 12” or whatever: you lose round capacity. And in a long cartridge like .44 mag or .45lc it is a worthwhile consideration.

I personally wish my .45lc 20” version was a 24” model. The Rossi is known to have a stout frame, capable of handling Ruger Only loads. Another article tested hot .45lc loaded out of a 24” barrel Rossi m92 returned ballistic results similar to a .44mag out of a similar sized levergun; roughly enough muzzle energy to take down a moose. Meaning a 100yd gun that could theoretically hunt anything in N America.

Which leads me to question the logic behind a 12” 44mag. Sure, it would still perform better than any revolver barrel. But isn’t most of the powder burning outside the muzzle as flash?

Anyway, just adding some thoughts to this discussion. (An SBR .357 levergun might be fun.)
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:16 pm https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gun-r ... n-45-colt/

The Rossi M92 also comes in .44 mag. It is also gate-loading and has a good reputation among cowboy competition shooters.

This article brings up a good point about SBR’ing a tube mag levergun from 16” down to 12” or whatever: you lose round capacity. And in a long cartridge like .44 mag or .45lc it is a worthwhile consideration.

I personally wish my .45lc 20” version was a 24” model. The Rossi is known to have a stout frame, capable of handling Ruger Only loads. Another article tested hot .45lc loaded out of a 24” barrel Rossi m92 returned ballistic results similar to a .44mag out of a similar sized levergun; roughly enough muzzle energy to take down a moose. Meaning a 100yd gun that could theoretically hunt anything in N America.

Which leads me to question the logic behind a 12” 44mag. Sure, it would still perform better than any revolver barrel. But isn’t most of the powder burning outside the muzzle as flash?

Anyway, just adding some thoughts to this discussion. (An SBR .357 levergun might be fun.)
If you look at the BBTI page for .44 mag, it's still an appreciable jump in FPS and energy on target when comparing say, a 4" revolver to a 12" SBR.

link

158gr JHP Federal out of a 12" barrel; 1654 FPS
Same round out of a 4" 686: 1246FPS

400 FPS is not a small amount, not to mention the accuracy advantage.

Yes, certainly when compared to the energy out of a typical handgun barrel half the length of any rifle barrel. 44mag truly seems a waste out of a revolver.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 pm Yes, certainly when compared to the energy out of a typical handgun barrel half the length of any rifle barrel. 44mag truly seems a waste out of a revolver.
So apparently I lost my mind and posted the .357 info.

Pay no attention to me...

Here are the correct numbers for .44 magnum:

240gr hydra shok:
12" rifle barrel: 1579fps
12" revolver barrel: 1407fps
8" rifle barrel: 1497fps
4" rifle barrel: 1251fps
4" revolver barrel: 1094fps

That barrel gap makes a huge difference.

Yup, kindly mind the gap.

Get it? Lost your mind... barrel gap...
Oh never-mind.