“Full Power” .44 Magnum Loads

As I’m sure everyone on the internet knows, I just bought a Ruger .44 carbine. It will be paired with a S&W 629 at some point (less likely a Redhawk).

The Carbine is said to be designed for “full power” loads and works best with them. My question is, what is a full power load? I’d like to shoot the same ammo in both, and I’m not interested in 300gr 1500fps max loads. I’m not interested in punishing myself (or the guns). But the loads seem to be all over the place.

If I stick with 240gr JSP or JHP, what should I be looking for in advertised muzzle velocity?

Re: “Full Power” .44 Magnum Loads

This would be easier if you already had the Revolver. Then you could find a load that you like to shoot in that that and assess how it works in the rifle for accuracy and operating the action. Tweak from there.

The beauty of .44 mag is the ability to load from mild to wild. Generally a bullet in the 240 gr range around 1100 fps is relatively comfortable in my 6" Smith 29-2. I also really enjoy 200 gr "Cowboy' loads at around 800 fps but I'm not sure what it takes to cycle the action on the carbine.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I buy most of my pre loaded .44 ammo at the gun show from Georgia Arms. They sell online, too, not sure about shipping. They load in Starline brass so it's a great way to accumulate it for starting to reload, which is where .44 shines.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

I'm assuming your carbine is an auto loader, they can have problems with certain bullet profiles like semi wadcutters or bullets with very wide flat meplats. If you are buying factory ammo you should concentrate on what works best in the rifle and hope it will work well in the revolver for accuracy. And like Mason says reloading is where it's at.

There used to be some reduced power Commercial .44 Magnum ammo for sale. Some commercial reloads for sale may still be reduced power. Most anything you buy commercially is going to be full power.

I have no experience with Ruger .44 Magnum carbines. I do have experience with .44 Magnum lever actions, and they don't like anything with bullets that protrude a long way out of the case like Semi-Wad Cutters (SWCs). I would not be surprised if the Ruger carbines were the same way.

In your .44 Magnum revolvers, you will find that down-loaded .44 Magnums, or .44 Specials, are much more pleasant. If you handload, you can load down, and come away from a lengthy shooting session without a headache.

Lswc? Something semi wadcutter?

As mentioned elsewhere, I bought some bulk 240gr flat nose fmj ammo. The guy at LAX ammo said it cycled in his Desert Eagle, so I took a chance, given that I plan in buying a 629 at some
point, and that will certainly “cycle” it.

I also bought some Fiocchi 240gr SJHP rated at 1350 fps which should work as well. I don’t think I’ll get to the range next week, but I will soon.

“Full Power” .44 Magnum Loads

bajajoaquin wrote:There’s no gas port in a lever action. Hard cast bullets may be ok, but I’ll stick with jackets to be sure
+1 on this.

Do not run lead through the Ruger carbine. Even hard cast will give trouble from the lube used. Had a buddy with one years ago. He could not shoot any of my lead gas checks without the gas port gumming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fortuna Peratus Renumerat

Liberal Condescension or Conservative Paranoia; A hell of a way to run a democracy.

Perhaps a comment I should make in my thread on the rifle, but I wish it had more than 4 rounds. I get it. It’s a hunting rifle and nobody says an A-Bolt should hold 10 rounds. But I don’t hunt, so I just want to make loud bangs and see sh!t blow up.

I’m never going to undertake a custom gunsmithing project, but I do actively fantasize. I fantasize about moving the gas port out to the muzzle a la Garand, and making room for a longer magazine tube.