Re: New SARS type virus spreading in China

highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:52 pm
tonguengroover wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:47 pm Agreed ^^^^^ And trying to get the world vaccinated let alone a booster is going to take forever.
Both of my doctors gave me the green light for the booster considering my new anti-viral treatment. Scheduled for Tuesday!
Yes and you work with the public and you don't know how many people you worked with have been vaccinated. Get the booster as soon as you can.
I ask if they have, but you know humans. Most anti-vaxxers would prolly tell me to F' off.
I should be bullet proof. Least for awhile
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing,”

featureless wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:50 pm Scored a Moderna booster at the Mart of walls this morning. Line of about 5 waiting behind me. Glad to be boosted before the holidays. This winter is going to be as fucked as last winter I'm afraid, especially having read Highdesert's posts this morning.
Congrats on getting the booster ! Hope side effects are minimal. Hate to be a downe,r but Nor Cal and So Cal are looking about the same in terms of COVID infections. Hope your wife and older relatives are getting theirs. Wally's is an easy in and out on Sundays before the church people get there.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:23 pm
featureless wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:50 pm Scored a Moderna booster at the Mart of walls this morning. Line of about 5 waiting behind me. Glad to be boosted before the holidays. This winter is going to be as fucked as last winter I'm afraid, especially having read Highdesert's posts this morning.
Congrats on getting the booster ! Hope side effects are minimal. Hate to be a downe,r but Nor Cal and So Cal are looking about the same in terms of COVID infections. Hope your wife and older relatives are getting theirs. Wally's is an easy in and out on Sundays before the church people get there.
Thanks. Wife and daughter both got the booster last week. All our parents are boostered as well. My autoimmune sister is now boostered and her 6 year old will be getting her first as soon as available. There are a few, ahem, people we love dearly that ain't, but, well... I guess there are a few in every family. I wish them the best.

Speaking of ignorance.
North Dakota Lawmaker Gets COVID, Forced To Miss His Anti-Vaccine Rally

BISMARCK, N.D. (AP) — A North Dakota lawmaker and an organizer of a rally Monday to oppose COVID-19 vaccine mandates is infected with the coronavirus and won’t attend the event.

Republican Rep. Jeff Hoverson posted on Facebook Sunday that he was “quarantining and each day is getting better.” The Minot lawmaker said he is taking the deworming drug ivermectin as a COVID-19 treatment, and has not checked into a hospital.

“Covid is real and like a really bad flu,” Hoverson wrote.

Hoverson, a pastor, told The Associated Press that was diagnosed last week.

“I’m feeling rough,” he said Monday. “But this ivermectin is keeping me out of the hospital.”

Ivermectin is designed to fight parasitic infections but conservative commentators have promoted it as a treatment for COVID-19, despite a lack of conclusive evidence that it helps.

“It’s making me better,” Hoverson said.

The North Dakota Legislature returned to Bismarck Monday for a special five-day session during which a bill to prevent vaccine mandates will almost certainly gain approval. House Majority Leader Chet Pollert said Hoverson could participate remotely.

North Dakota’s Republican leadership and GOP Gov. Doug Burgum have said they oppose such mandates and the state has joined a federal lawsuit challenging President Joe Biden’s COVID-19 vaccine rules.

Although Hoverson will not attend the rally at North Dakota’s statehouse, he said three of his teenage children will be there.

Hoverson is among the most far-right legislators in the GOP-controlled Legislature. He introduced legislation last session to repeal mask mandates and he sponsored failed legislation that would have made it a felony to help women access abortions.

Last month, he was barred from boarding a flight at Minot International Airport after a run-in with a security agent. And as a freshman legislator two years ago, Hoverson protested a prayer by a Hindu cleric, saying he didn’t “want to be compelled to pray for a false god.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/jeff-hov ... e47d7e371d

Just proves that Karma can be a real Bitch.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.-Huxley
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

Pfizer’s booster COVID-19 shot is effective for 9 – 10 months and maybe even longer, according to preliminary data from Israeli research leaked to Channel 12 news on Sunday.

The network said initial results from a study on antibody levels being conducted by the Tel Hashomer Hospital are set to be made public in 2 – 4 weeks, and will show that the third shot offers different, apparently improved, protection from the first two doses.

The booster shot yields more antibodies, and the antibodies are also better at preventing the disease, the channel quoted people involved with the study as saying.

By analyzing the antibody levels, researchers have concluded that the third shot could be effective for 9 – 10 months, or even longer, the researchers predicted.

No details were released on the scope or methodology of the Tel Hashomer study.

Israel began its mass booster campaign in August after finding that the protection offered by its initial two-dose vaccine campaign began wearing off after some five months.

The latest research follows a large-scale Israeli study published last month that showed that a third booster shot was 92% effective in preventing serious illness compared to those who received only two doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine.
“The results demonstrate in a very convincing way that the third dose of the vaccine is extremely efficient,” said Ran Balicer, Clalit’s chief innovation officer.

Israel was the first country to widely adopt the booster and the end of Israel’s fourth wave has been credited at least in part to its booster vaccine campaign, which began among those over 65 in August and was quickly rolled out to the rest of the population. As of Sunday, almost 4 million Israelis — more than 42% of the total population — have received a third dose of the COVID vaccine. Close to 67% of the total population has received at least one shot.

Around 650,000 people who are eligible for vaccines have not received any of the shots, while about 1.1 million Israelis eligible for the booster have yet to receive it.

Since then the US and other countries have followed suit, although some have approved the booster only for the elderly or those with preexisting conditions.

The booster shots have been widely credited with helping Israel overcome a fourth wave of the virus.

The number of active COVID-19 cases in Israel has dropped to 5,984 after being above 10,000 for over three months and after passing 90,000 in early September, according to figures released on Sunday by the Health Ministry.

The data also showed 194 new cases were confirmed on Saturday, down from between 5,000 and 6,000 daily almost two months ago. There were 167 people hospitalized in a serious condition and the death toll stood at 8,122.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/pfizer-bo ... tial-data/

Looking at infections and testing, we've got to get through this winter.
https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-s ... infections
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

featureless wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:36 am I predict this winter is going to be rough. With the high number of unvaccinated, the drop off of vaccine efficacy and the low rate of boosters, there's a lot of fertile ground for high growth rates. Couple that with a high baseline rate, holidays and Covid burnout even among the responsible.

I agree featureless, especially the COVID fatigue. Last week had to take my car into the dealership for two recalls, I put it off over the hot summer but had to do it. First time to that area since the pandemic started and I was surprised how many people were wearing masks at the stores and restaurants, staff all wore masks. Still a lot didn't, even some elderly. Infection rates are going up and about 1/3 of the population isn't vaccinated.

highdesert wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:02 am
featureless wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:36 am I predict this winter is going to be rough. With the high number of unvaccinated, the drop off of vaccine efficacy and the low rate of boosters, there's a lot of fertile ground for high growth rates. Couple that with a high baseline rate, holidays and Covid burnout even among the responsible.

I agree featureless, especially the COVID fatigue. Last week had to take my car into the dealership for two recalls, I put it off over the hot summer but had to do it. First time to that area since the pandemic started and I was surprised how many people were wearing masks at the stores and restaurants, staff all wore masks. Still a lot didn't, even some elderly. Infection rates are going up and about 1/3 of the population isn't vaccinated.
We still wear our mask when going out even though we are both vaccinated and boostered. Also had our flu shots. This may be worse because the flu season is just starting and with the antis not just against the COVID vaccine but also not taking the Flu vaccines they are leaving themselves open for double the trouble.
"We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both." ~ Louis Brandeis,

TrueTexan wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:13 am
highdesert wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:02 am

We still wear our mask when going out even though we are both vaccinated and boostered. Also had our flu shots. This may be worse because the flu season is just starting and with the antis not just against the COVID vaccine but also not taking the Flu vaccines they are leaving themselves open for double the trouble.
Agree TT, the arrival of the flu season just complicates it.

Thousands of people gathered outside Los Angeles City Hall to protest COVID-19 vaccination mandates on Monday — the day the city began enforcing some of the nation’s strictest vaccination verification rules for businesses.

L.A. now requires proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to enter indoor restaurants, shopping centers, movie theaters, hair and nail salons, gyms, museums, bowling alleys, performance venues and other spaces.

Attendees of outdoor events with 5,000 or more people also have to show proof of vaccination or that they have recently tested negative for the coronavirus. The city’s rules are stricter than those imposed by Los Angeles County.
Signs at the protest included “Vaccines Kill,” “Freedom Not Force!” and “COVID Vaccines Are Toxic.” One read “Let’s Go Brandon” — code for “F— Joe Biden” — as did multiple T-shirts worn by demonstrators.

Some in the crowd wore hats touting the extremist Proud Boys, and one person held a sign supporting the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol.

The largely unmasked crowd chanted “Freedom! Freedom!” and “We will not comply!” Speakers said their constitutional rights were being trampled by the mandates.
Protesters waved “thin blue line” and “thin red line” flags as symbols of support for law enforcement, and among the crowd were members of the Los Angeles police and fire departments as well as other city employees.

A Los Angeles mandate requires city employees, including police and firefighters, to either get vaccinated by Dec. 18 or receive a medical or religious exemption. In the meantime, they are required to pay for regular COVID-19 testing from a city contractor.
Police officials have said about 75% of the Los Angeles Police Department’s 12,000-plus workforce has been vaccinated. Still, hundreds of personnel had not informed the department of their vaccination status as of last week, and thousands more were seeking exemptions.

LAPD Chief Michel Moore said final compliance notices were to be hand-delivered to most unvaccinated officers last week, giving them 48 hours to sign off on the conditions or be placed off duty pending disciplinary proceedings to separate them from the force.

The LAPD Office of the Inspector General confirmed via its Twitter account that it had received a complaint about officers believed to be attending the protest on Monday in uniform. The LAPD did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The Los Angeles firefighters union warned of service delays if the city loses firefighters because of the mandate. Last week, United Firefighters of Los Angeles City Local 112 President Freddy Escobar said that 76% of the city’s firefighter force is vaccinated, leaving about 800 firefighters who have not gotten the shots.
Multiple speakers addressing the crowd identified themselves as police officers or firefighters and warned of staffing shortages and unanswered emergency calls, although dire warnings of mass exoduses of public safety officers have not come to pass in other cities.

Michael McMahon, a 14-year veteran of the LAPD who founded the group Roll Call 4 Freedom in opposition to the mandate, told demonstrators that he turned in his police badge and gun on Friday because he refused to get vaccinated.

It was “one of the hardest days of my life,” he said.

McMahon said he “could not acquiesce in good conscience to submit my health” to a “still-experimental” injection.

“Thousands of city employees are struggling with these issues related to their employment, and I want to say to you all, from the bottom of my heart, I love you and I understand,” he said. “But coercion is not informed consent.”

Other speakers extolled home-schooling to avoid vaccinations for children and touted the anti-parasitic medication ivermectin, despite the lack of scientific evidence that the drug treats or prevents COVID-19.

Some speeches were peppered with conspiratorial and apocalyptic language, warning that if people got the shot, their freedoms would be stripped away.

“We are fighting a communist takeover of our nation,” said Beverly Hills physician Simone Gold, founder of America’s Frontline Doctors, who has spread misinformation about COVID-19 and advocated unproven treatments, including hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin.

Gold — who participated in the Jan. 6 insurrection and is awaiting trial on charges of violent entry and disorderly conduct — urged protesters not to comply with employee vaccination mandates for the sake of their souls.

“If you bow to your employer, if you take a knee to your employer, the scar of your surrender will not fade,” she said. “Your belief in yourself will diminish, will weaken. This is actually their goal, to create a world where humans believe that they need overlords to think for them.”
https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... tes-in-l-a

All the usual wackos out, just more of them because it's the nations second largest city. Public employees have good salaries and benefits including pensions, if they quite there are plenty who will backfill those jobs especially the firefighter ones.

sig230 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 2:35 pm
featureless wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:49 pm I can't wait for real freedom when I can not wear shirts or shoes in a restaurant and still get service. I am so oppressed.
Just remember it is only shoes and shirts that are mandatory.
But remember you have to wear at least shorts. So the other males aren't feeling inadequate and the women don't swoon.

Over-65s in France will soon only be allowed to travel or visit restaurants and museums if they have a Covid booster jab, President Emmanuel Macron has said.

"From 15 December, you will need to provide proof of a booster jab to extend the validity of your health pass," he warned in a TV address.

The new rule further tightens one of the strictest Covid regimes in Europe.

Despite high vaccination rates, France is seeing a spike in daily infections.

On Tuesday, the country reported 12,476 new confirmed infections within 24 hours - the highest level since early September.

Covid has claimed the lives of more than 118,000 people in France since the start of the outbreak.

"We have not finished with the pandemic," President Macron said in his address, adding that the infection rates jumped 40% over last week.

He said all the evidence showed that six months after a person was vaccinated "immunity decreases and therefore the risk of developing a serious form [of Covid] increases".

"The solution to this decrease in immunity is an additional vaccine shot," he said.

The president said that next month booster jabs would be also made available to those aged between 50 and 64, stressing that more than 80% of Covid patients currently being treated in intensive care units were aged over 50.

The health pass became a key requirement across France in late July. People need to show proof of vaccination, a negative test or recent recovery from Covid to enter most museums and cinemas, or travel by train and plane.

France has seen a wave of street protests since the measures were introduced.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-59229041

Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech are expected to seek authorization for their coronavirus vaccine booster shot for anyone 18 and older, a move that could increase booster rates at a critical moment in the pandemic, according to three officials familiar with the situation.

The request, which may be filed as soon as this week, is likely to win the backing of the Food and Drug Administration, said the individuals, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the issue. That would essentially fulfill the Biden administration’s booster-for-all-adults goal, announced last August amid concerns about waning vaccine protection.

Pfizer spokesman Kit Longley declined to confirm the company’s plans, saying he had no update on boosters.

While the surge caused by the delta variant appears to be subsiding, some health experts are concerned that infections and deaths might be plateauing at a high level. Cases still exceed 70,000 a day, and deaths from covid-19, the illness caused by the virus, total more than 1,000 daily, according to The Washington Post covid-19 tracker.

In addition, state and federal health officials are casting an anxious eye on states including Minnesota, Colorado, Arizona and Vermont, where cases have been rising. They’re also worried about increased viral spread during a busy holiday season, with large numbers of people traveling and celebrating indoors.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... and-older/

NIH Praised for Finally Showing 'Modicum of Verve' in Vaccine Patent Fight With Moderna

Public health campaigners applauded the National Institutes of Health on Wednesday for standing its ground in a patent fight with Moderna, which claimed in a recent filing that U.S. government scientists did not co-invent technology at the heart of the pharmaceutical giant's shot.

Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the NIH, told Reuters Wednesday that contrary to Moderna's assertion, government scientists "played a major role in the development of the vaccine" that the Massachusetts-based corporation is "now making a fair amount of money off of."

Last week, Moderna reported $3.3 billion in third-quarter profits from its coronavirus vaccine, the company's only product on the market.

Collins said Wednesday that he believes Moderna "has made a serious mistake here in not providing the kind of co-inventorship credit" to a trio of NIH scientists who—according to the government agency—helped develop key spike-protein technology that triggers an immune response against Covid-19.

"Clearly this is something that legal authorities are going to have to figure out," Collins added, suggesting a potential court battle.

"It's not a good idea to file a patent when you leave out important inventors, and so this is going to get sorted as people look harder at this," he continued. "I did not expect that to be the outcome from what had been a very friendly, collaborative effort between scientists at NIH and Moderna over many years."

Peter Maybarduk, director of Public Citizen's Access to Medicine’s program, praised the NIH for belatedly "showing a modicum of verve" and "suggesting it will not allow federal scientists' role in the invention of the NIH-Moderna vaccine to be erased."

"Recognition as the vaccine's joint inventor can help the U.S. government finally responsibly steward the vaccine's use, including by helping secure access for the billions of people still awaiting a safe path out of the pandemic," Maybarduk said in a statement Wednesday. "We, the people, paid for its development. Federal scientists pioneered the understanding of coronaviruses and then worked in partnership with Moderna."

"But Moderna has turned this people's vaccine into a rich people's vaccine, refusing to share technology with WHO or developing country manufacturers and sharing very few doses with COVAX while overcharging poor nations," he added. "More than 10 million people have died from the pandemic so far. Humanity cannot afford the U.S. government's passivity. It is past time to share NIH-Moderna with the world."

Collins' comments came a day after the New York Times reported that Moderna—which received billions of dollars in U.S. taxpayer funding to develop its coronavirus vaccine—said in a July filing with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office that the company "reached the good-faith determination that [NIH scientists] did not co-invent the mRNAs and mRNA compositions claimed in the present application."

The Times noted that "Moderna has sought a number of patents in the United States and overseas related to different aspects of its Covid vaccine technology," but "experts said the disputed patent was the most important one in Moderna's growing intellectual property portfolio."

"The dispute is about much more than scientific accolades or ego," the Times continued. "If the three agency scientists are named on the patent along with the Moderna employees, the federal government could have more of a say in which companies manufacture the vaccine, which in turn could influence which countries get access."

For months, vaccine equity advocates, Democratic lawmakers, and one now-retired NIH scientist have publicly urged the Biden administration to use the federal government's role in the development of the Moderna vaccine as leverage to force the company to share its technology with low-income countries.

While the Biden administration has reportedly pressured Moderna behind the scenes, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said during a briefing last month that the federal government lacks "the ability to compel Moderna to take certain actions"—a narrative that experts have disputed.

Thus far, Moderna has sold most of its coronavirus vaccine supply to rich countries while charging lower-income nations a premium and resisting calls to take part in technology transfer initiatives such as the WHO's mRNA hub in Africa.

The People's Vaccine Alliance estimated earlier this year that Moderna's vaccine could be made for as little as $1.20 a dose, but the company has charged nations between four and 13 times that price.

"Although the African Union recently announced its intent to purchase 110 million doses of the company's Covid-19 vaccine, most low-income countries have yet to secure any doses and the company refuses to share information that would allow other manufacturers to produce its mRNA vaccine and help end this global pandemic," Carrie Teicher, director of programs at Doctors Without Borders USA, wrote in an op-ed for STAT last week.

On Wednesday afternoon, activists from Doctors Without Borders rallied outside the White House to demand that President Joe Biden act immediately to ramp up global vaccine production and equalize distribution.

According to Our World in Data, 7.36 billion coronavirus vaccine doses have been administered globally but just 4.4% of people in low-income countries have received at least one dose.

Avril Benoît, executive director of Doctors Without Borders USA, lamented Wednesday that "in the United States, we are talking about a return to normalcy while most of the world hasn't even received a single dose."

"There was an all-hands-on-deck approach to developing these vaccines," Benoît said. "The Biden administration needs to harness that same urgency to ensure that these vaccines are rolled out everywhere as soon as possible. That means taking bold action to share U.S. vaccine doses, and it means putting pressure on pharmaceutical corporations so that global Covid-19 access is finally a reality."
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2021/ ... ht-moderna

Most people don't realize the government and other non-profit research centers like universities contribute much of the basic and advance knowledge the drug companies use for their medicines and treatments. The drug companies then patent the drug or treatment as if they did all the research and work. It would be best if any government or non-profit external funding indirect or direct was used to create the drug then the income/profit should be shared on a percentage basis or the patent/copyright denied and the drug placed in the public domain class so anybody can manufacture it.

Yes and a high profile case will be going to court.
U.S. National Institutes of Health scientists played "a major role" in developing Moderna Inc's (MRNA.O) COVID-19 vaccine and the agency intends to defend its claim as co-owner of patents on the shot, NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins told Reuters on Wednesday.

In a story first reported by the New York Times on Tuesday, Moderna excluded three NIH scientists as co-inventors of a central patent for the company's multibillion-dollar COVID-19 vaccine in its application filed in July.

"I think Moderna has made a serious mistake here in not providing the kind of co-inventorship credit to people who played a major role in the development of the vaccine that they're now making a fair amount of money off of," Collins said in an interview ahead of the Reuters Total Health conference, which will run virtually from Nov. 15-18. [https://reutersevents.com/events/healthcare/]

Moderna expects 2021 sales of $15 billion to $18 billion from the COVID-19 vaccine - its first and only commercial product - and up to $22 billion next year.

In a statement emailed to Reuters, Moderna acknowledged that scientists at NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) played a "substantial role" in developing Moderna's messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine, but the company said it disagrees with the agency's patent claims.

Collins said the NIH has been trying to resolve the patent conflict with Moderna amicably for some time and has failed.

"But we are not done. Clearly this is something that legal authorities are going to have to figure out," he said.

NIH has asserted that three of its scientists - Dr. John Mascola, Dr. Barney Graham and Dr. Kizzmekia Corbett - helped design the genetic sequence used in Moderna's vaccine and should be named on the patent application. Graham has since retired and Corbett is now working at Harvard.

"It's not a good idea to file a patent when you leave out important inventors, and so this is going to get sorted as people look harder at this," Collins told Reuters.

"I did not expect that to be the outcome from what had been a very friendly, collaborative effort between scientists at NIH and Moderna over many years."

In its statement, Moderna said, "We do not agree that NIAID scientists co-invented claims to the mRNA-1273 sequence itself. Only Moderna’s scientists came up with the sequence for the mRNA used in our vaccine."

Moderna said the company has acknowledged NIH scientists in other patent applications, such as those related to dosing. But for the core patent, Moderna is only required to list Moderna scientists as inventors of the sequence under the strict rules of U.S. patent law, it said.

"We are grateful for our collaboration with NIH scientists, value their contributions, and remain focused on working together to help patients," the company added.
https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-11-10/

We'll see what the federal courts have to say. NIH's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases is directed by Dr Fauci.

Oxford University developed a COVID vaccine but had to partner with AstraZeneca to manufacture and distribute it. Same with Pfizer and BioNTech.

British researchers said on Wednesday they had identified proteins in the coronavirus that are recognised by T-cells of people who are exposed to the virus but resist infection, possibly providing a new target for vaccine developers.

Immunity against COVID-19 is a complex picture, and while there is evidence of waning antibody levels six months after vaccination, T-cells are also believed to play a vital role in providing protection.

The University College London (UCL) researchers examined 731 health workers in two London hospitals during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic, and found that many had not tested positive despite likely exposure to the original coronavirus.

They found that, while a subset of the workers did not generate antibodies or test positive with PCR tests, they had still generated a large and broad T-cell response following possible exposure.

This suggests that rather than the workers avoiding exposure to the coronavirus altogether, the T-cells had cleared the virus before there were any symptoms or positive test result - a so-called "abortive infection", the researchers said.

"We know that some individuals remain uninfected despite having likely exposure to the virus," said Leo Swadling, lead author of the study, which was published in science journal Nature.

"What is really informative is that the T-cells detected in these individuals, where the virus failed to establish a successful infection, preferentially target different regions of the virus to those seen after infection."

Current vaccines, which provide high protection against severe disease but do not fully stop transmission or re-infection, target the spike protein of the coronavirus.

In contrast, the T-cell responses that led to abortive infections in the UCL study recognised and targeted instead "replication proteins".

The researchers said that while such T-cells were associated with protection from detectable infection, they were not necessarily sufficient for protection alone, and the study did not look at whether people had protection on re-exposure.

They added that the replication proteins are among the least changed by mutations to coronaviruses, and exposure to other coronaviruses may be one reason why some of the health workers were able to mount such quick T cell responses.

It also means that a vaccine which targeted these proteins in addition to the spike protein should work against a broad range of coronaviruses including the currently dominant Delta variant, the researchers said.

"This is a strong rationale for including these proteins to supplement spike in next-generation vaccines," Swadling told reporters.
https://www.reuters.com/business/health ... 021-11-10/

All fully vaccinated adults in California seeking a COVID-19 booster shot should be eligible to get one, California Department of Public Health officials say.

In a letter Thursday, officials directed health care providers not to deny booster shots to adult patients. The announcement opened up booster shot eligibility to millions of residents across the state.

"Do not turn a patient away who is requesting a booster," California Department of Public Health Director Tomás J. Aragón said in the letter. "Allow patients to self-determine their risk of exposure."

People in California who are 18 and older are eligible for a COVID booster shot as long as at least six months have passed their second dose of the two-shot Pfizer or Moderna vaccine or two months must have passed since their Johnson & Johnson shot.
According to the agency, less than 40% of fully vaccinated adults 65 and older in California have received a booster shot. And among all fully vaccinated adults 18 and older in the state, nearly 14% have received a booster shot.
"If you think you will benefit from getting a booster shot, I encourage you to go out and get it," said Dr. Mark Ghaly, secretary of the California Health and Human Services Agency in a news conference Wednesday.

Colorado also has expanded eligibility. Gov. Jared Polis signed an executive order Thursday allowing all adults in the state to get a COVID-19 booster shot.

"The health and safety of Coloradans has been my top priority throughout this global pandemic. We want to ensure that Coloradans have every tool they need to protect themselves from this deadly virus and to help reduce the stress on our hospitals and health care workers," Polis said in a statement.

Earlier this week, Colorado officials issued a public health order preventing any vaccine provider from refusing a COVID-19 vaccine booster shot to anyone who meets the qualifications.
https://www.npr.org/2021/11/11/10548514 ... ne-booster

Austria is days away from ordering millions of unvaccinated people to stay at home, its chancellor said Thursday, in a rare move that underscores the increasing exasperation of European leaders towards those who have not yet been inoculated against Covid-19.

Alexander Schallenberg told reporters the country's vaccination rate was "shamefully low," and hinted that the measure would be triggered within days. "In other states that rate is a lot higher -- it is shameful as we have enough vaccines available," Schallenberg added.
Under the country's plan, which was agreed in September, unvaccinated Austrians will face a stay-at-home order once 30% of intensive-care beds are occupied by Covid-19 patients. The current rate is 21%, according to the Austrian Agency for Health and Food Safety (AGES), and a surge in infections has pushed it up quickly.
Unvaccinated people are already excluded from entertainment venues, restaurants, hairdressers and other parts of public life in Austria. If the new measures come into place, the unvaccinated will be ordered to stay home except for a few limited reasons; the rules will be policed by officers carrying out spot checks on those who are out.
best hipaa compliant fax https://curogram.com/blog/is-hellofax-hipaa-compliant
Around 65% of Austria's population is fully vaccinated against Covid-19, one of the lower rates in the European Union.
''It is clear that this winter will be uncomfortable for the unvaccinated," Schallenberg warned, adding that ''the lockdown could come much faster than some might think.''
"A lockdown for the unvaccinated means one cannot leave one's home unless one is going to work, shopping for essentials, stretching one's legs -- namely exactly what we all had to suffer through in 2020," Schallenberg said.