Beretta 92FS M9 Holster & Sundries

Gearing up for the big day tomorrow as I pick up my first handgun, a Beretta M9, and wanted to get recommendations for a good belt holster (outside the waistband) for hunting trips and range days. Any suggestions?

Additionally, what should a first-timer get for cleaning gear? A video I saw on M9 maintenance suggested a double-sided nylon brush, M-Pro 7, a bore snake, and lube + cleaning mat and rag, but I've also been told to just buy a general maintenance kit from the same manufacturer as the firearm.

Video:
Last edited by ChipGribble on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Beretta 92 M9 Holster & Sundries

Your Beretta should come with a kit (see mine below). Maybe they stopped doing that?

Hoppes #9 is pretty commonly used. So is CLP.

Paper towels and/or cheap shop towels are very useful. Or old tee shirts or anything cotton you might have considered tossing away.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt
Attachments
Beretta cleaning kit.jpg

Don't be too quick to pick up a holster. Stay away from cheap, nylon holsters for this M9. If you just want a holster for carrying it around a range, almost any leather or kydex one will do.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

featureless wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:55 pm :eh: Clean?

I don't overly obsess about clean guns. Lubed, yes.

Bore snake is good. Toothbrush is good. Old underwear and socks are good.

I also got in the habit of cleaning before a range trip so I get lots of function tests after reassembly.
OP's a new gunowner, so it is a good habit to learn. :lol:

I started with milsurps and corrosive ammo, so I can't break that cleaning habit. Over time, you learn what is best and necessary.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Yes, and welcome to the obsession, Chip.

Honestly, cleaning is a good way to get to know your new gun. But it also isn't necessary after every outing. Everyone has a preference on cleaners and lube. CLP works fine as does Hoppes. More importantly is making sure you're either oiling or greasing the slide at contact points.

As for holsters, I like kydex for its retention and practicality. Cooks Holsters makes a good reasonably priced one. If you intend to carry, things get more complicated and you will end up with several. We'd all be happy to help you across that bridge when you get there.

Holsters are a whole different road. The journey is personal. Some like kydex, some like leather. Almost everyone buys nylon at first (Uncle Mikes) and abandons it if they have a full size/service pistol.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

The Beretta 92 is a fantastic gun, but it's definitely a chunk when used as a CCW.

For cleaning, the Beretta is pretty easy. Don't fuss over it as it's a Mil-Spec weapon with built-in tolerances for grime and gunk. You don't have to eat off it. Buy a set of nylon/brass brushes off Amazon for $10, some CLP (anything that say "CLP will work just fine). I like the Hoppes-branded oil wipes for one last-wipe down, lubrication of the slide/barrel/etc. Any cleaning mat sold off Amazon will do the job, but since you're asking for recommends..I like the Real Avid brand.

For holsters, the Beretta is a chunk, so I'd go sturdy and preferably something with two spring steel belt clips. Crossbreed and Safariland are great, but they are spendy. Unless you want to go all 1980's with a Shoulder-Rig. Know that there is absolutely no gun owner that doesn't have a box of discarded holsters somewhere in their house.
LGC Texas - Vice President

Thanks for all the suggestions; still waiting for the store to open up, so in the meantime I've written down some of the points about holsters (namely to maybe avoid nylon).
K9s wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:15 pm Your Beretta should come with a kit (see mine below). Maybe they stopped doing that?

Hoppes #9 is pretty commonly used. So is CLP.

Paper towels and/or cheap shop towels are very useful. Or old tee shirts or anything cotton you might have considered tossing away.
If it does I can make due with that; don't really have any old t-shirts lying around so I'll probably pick up a shop rag from the garage.
atxgunguy wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:20 am Any cleaning mat sold off Amazon will do the job, but since you're asking for recommends..I like the Real Avid brand.

I really liked the Beretta 92 breakdown cleaning mat from TekMat, but then I saw the rest of their product line...

Think I'll just take your rec for Real Avid.

Everybody is recommending Hoppe's. I went the other way and started using CLPs (Clean, Lube, Protect). I started with FROG LUBE, but the smell was too minty for my liking. I have since moved on to Sage & Braker. It has more of a Bourbon with a hint of lime smell. It is a little pricey, but it sure works great and Just a little dab will do ya. It is important when that when using any CLP's as not to "Put the gun away wet". What I mean is you must wipe off any excess as the moisture will collect carbon a start to gunk-up.

As far as holsters go. Maybe go full on John McClane. This will only set you back $180
IMG_0259.JPG
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Well, if we are sharing brands.... for a first time buyer, a usable and inexpensive leather holster that works just fine: Outbags USA. $27 shipped. I use them often. They aren't pretty, but useful until you find that special holster for that special gun.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Re: Beretta 92FS M9 Holster & Sundries

For holsters, you're going to need to tell us more about how you will use it. You are likely to eventually find yourself with a large drawer full of holsters. For something such as a draw-from-concealment class, I would want a holster that was quick to draw from, with little in the way of retention, typically made from Kydex, and for which there are a huge number of makers out there. These holsters typically pinch in slightly at the trigger guard, providing the only retention they have. I have one from Uncle Mikes, this one:
http://holsters.unclemikes.com/Holsters ... ydex/54201

Someone probably introduced you to the Beretta 92. If they have been using it for awhile, they probably have several holsters, and if they're anything like me they have several similar holsters they like, only one of them they use. They might let one of the others go cheap.

If you are going to be out in bad weather, and your pistol is going to be one the outside of your clothes, you don't want leather.

For any other use, more retention might be a good idea. In general, some of the most dangerous things you will do with a pistol is holster it and draw it from a holster. Beware of the Serpa holster: some military units and some police agencies really like them, but many pistol schools ban them because of the frequency of people shooting themselves while drawing from them. Years ago I saw an advertisement for a police surplus Safariland holster with level III retention for less than $20 (there's a reason it was cheap), so I bought it, and found I could not get a pistol out of it without using both hands. Look at what other people use. Talk to Cops you know about what they use off Duty. I use thumb-break holsters a lot, especially the DeSantis leather pancake and a Bianchi. BerettaUSA has a number of offerings, some of which I have, or are similar to holsters I have from other makers:
https://www.berettausa.com/en-us/berett ... ies&mpp=24

For cleaning, I typically use a cleaner/lube/preservative, plus a toothbrush and a microfiber towel, most recently from these people:
https://www.superquickcleanguns.com

If you have something like severe Lead or Copper fouling, you'll need a rod and brushes, as well as aggressive solvents. The more aggressive they are, the more nasty the ingredients, so wear rubber gloves.

Shoot your pistol a lot before you do anything to it. Eventually, look at the single best improvement I have seen for the Beretta 92, the "Trigger Job In A Bag" from Langdon Tactical:
https://www.langdontactical.com/92-upgrade-kit/
The 92, as it comes from the factory has a Hammer/Mainspring that is 20+ pounds. Starting with a loaded, un-Cocked pistol, your first trigger pull will be enormously long and heavy because of that. Beretta uses that ridiculously heavy Hammer/Mainspring because some ammo somewhere has ridiculously hard primers. I have yet to find any ammo that needs a Hammer/Mainspring heavier than 16 pounds, and almost everything fires with just a 13 pound spring.

The coaches I have consulted say that you will learn to shoot better, faster using a .22 rimfire. They also tell me I will do better if I just have one trigger pull I work with, so I am using a .22 conversion kit on one of my Berettas. I shoot the 92 with conversion kit better than some of my match guns.

During the ammo shortage of 2008-2016, there was practically no .22 or 9mm to be found, but there was a good bit of .40 S&W. Converting a Beretta 92 to shoot .40 ammo requires a .40 barrel, slide and magazine.