Re: Hog Hunting in the North?

tagsoup wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:19 pm I missed the part where anyone said his hunt was "illegal", couldn't find it. It sounded not much different than how many hunts are conducted in foreign countries. A license is only issued for a successful hunt. They are controlling for the number and sex of species taken and for very specific bachelor groups. They might even have had a specific animal in mind. A license is needed for all of the permits to ship the hide and horns back to the US. The auction was from the non political side of the NRA and might well of cost hundreds of thousands of dollars.
<snip>
The pro publica article was professionally reported, but it sounded as if they were continually fishing for negative things to say or an instance where Trump had done something wrong, and they found nothing. In tone Pro Publica set back the conservation of Argali if by nothing else than by framing it as something bad that was done. They had the opportunity to promote the conservation of this and other threatened species and they wiffed.
Thank you, Tagsoup. I figured there was more to this but didn't feel like digging into it. That family does plenty to be p!$$ed off with them without needing to resort to yellow journalism. It's a bit like how anti-hunting groups paint hunting fees as "rich people bribing the government". Or anti-gun folk declaring of a firearm in a jurisdiction that doesn't require registration, "He had an unregistered firearm!"

To address the original point about people being evil enough to release hogs for hunting, you don't need to picture "rich man's sport". Just picture any other PWT cooking meth or dumping their sludge into groundwater to save a buck because it's the quickest buck they can make without regard to their neighbors or community.

I always assumed my state was too cold for pigs. I guess that's not the case. In Eurasia they exist all the way up to the alpine zone and everywhere except desert. I notice in Laos when I see lots of track from wild pig, I also see track from leopard. I guess they are the preferred prey of wolves, and wolves can severely depress populations where snow gets deep. Good to hear as we are about to get wolves soon. I also remember in Laos that NGOs were suppressing hunting by subsistence hunters so to encourage tiger populations. They are one of the few prey species in the US unable to have populations be controlled by hunting. I don't support the introduction of species to an area, but it sounds as if they are coming regardless.

tagsoup wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:54 pm I always assumed my state was too cold for pigs. I guess that's not the case. In Eurasia they exist all the way up to the alpine zone and everywhere except desert. I notice in Laos when I see lots of track from wild pig, I also see track from leopard. I guess they are the preferred prey of wolves, and wolves can severely depress populations where snow gets deep. Good to hear as we are about to get wolves soon. I also remember in Laos that NGOs were suppressing hunting by subsistence hunters so to encourage tiger populations. They are one of the few prey species in the US unable to have populations be controlled by hunting. I don't support the introduction of species to an area, but it sounds as if they are coming regardless.
One way or another, the hogs are going to move farther north. Remember that they can dig nests in the snow (pigloos) to survive the cold. They breed fast and the hardiest will survive and breed. Happy hunting!
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt