Re: Mutual Assistance Groups

Hiker you bring up a sharp point. Personally I would not group up with anyone I don't know. Being a bit of an introvert, the meet ups you mention sound exhausting to me but having grown up pre internet and survived the BBC munch scene (talk about a cautionary tale) i can honestly say that despite having met some truly delightful and awesome people over the internet I don't think I would attend a meet up like the one you describe. I don't go nuts over opsec and i do believe that you have to trust some people some times. . . but my brain immediately jumped to the situation you described before I even read that far.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

HuckleberryFun wrote:
Inquisitor wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:41 pm How would that work? Other than the formal chapter?
If National gives approval for Chapters to form Mutual Assistance Groups, Oregon could start one up immediately. We have a sizable core group of people who are already into it. Forming separate FB groups just for the MAGs would be best in order to not turn off LGC members who don’t like prepper talk, but not sure if National wants more FB groups to monitor.

Secret Facebook groups like: LGC Oregon MAG, LGC Texas MAG, etc ...?
I’d be interested in this as well, but would there be a way to organize and connect outside of Facebook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not on FB at all, so I'd have to be outside of it. I liked one of the links you listed about a MAG being basically you deciding who you would prep for, and prepping for them without telling them about it. I hadn't thought of it quite so explicitly, but that's how I've considered it.

I like that radio station property. Only issue is that I see it's kinda to close in to stuff on both sides for me to truly lust over it. I want acerage that's either big enough, or has enough elevatoin change to be able to set up a shooting range. I'd be afraid that it was too close to farms on one side and hoses through the woods on the other to do that.

What's the deal with the canal, do you know? Is it just to transport water, or was it used for transportation at some point.

I actually tried to find information on that and suspect that the property may have been an attempt at orchard space at one time but I couldn't find anything definitive. I think that in WA in order to shoot out doors (not at a firing range) you need to be 500 + yards from a building or major road and you have to be firing into an earth berm X feet thick and X feet high, or equivalent man made mass. I like the property because I hate my work a day corporate job and the idea of having a local low power FM station with really odd programming and live music shows has a lot of appeal to me. i know just enough about running a sound board to get myself into trouble but I have a friend who is an actual audio engineer.
But 7 acres with a generator and water on site . . . yeah if we had the money on hand we'd buy that place in a heart beat.
I sort of prep for others. My mom is down in NM so there isn't a lot I can do for her but when it comes to gift buying and what not I have been known to pick aid kits, emergency kits and go bags for people. I'd prefer someone to have a generic go bag rather than no go bag at all. I am the guy who bugs his friends about having emergency kits in their cars. I am also pretty sure everyone is tired of me talking about the Cascadian quake which is due any time between now and the 12th of never. Seattle, BTW, is so totally not built to modern earthquake safety standards. The USGS has pretty much come out and said that if/when it hits anything west of the 5Fwy is going to be under water either from sliding into the sound or the resulting tsumani. :) *starts humming it's later than you think*
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.