Turkey Ammo and chokes for a newbie turkey hunter

Somehow i imbibed some spiked kool-aid that has made me want to go turkey hunting.

Maybe it's the part where you get to go outside, sit down, and not move for few hours. I always wanted to be a tree any how.

What are some ammo and choke combos that work out in the field? I have done some patterning without much success. I could get about a 14 inch pattern at 25 yards with an Improved modified choke and Remington Fasteel 3 1/2" #2 shot. I think ideally I should have a pattern about 10- 7 inches. but maybe I'm ok, after all these are goose loads..

I have a Beretta extrema with a 26" barrel.

I'm in California, so no lead allowed.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Bleeding Heart Liberal with Second Amendment Benefits.

Re: Turkey Ammo and chokes for a newbie turkey hunter

I saw a woman shoot Winchester Longbeard XR ammo the other day and it was really tight at 25 yards. It's lead though, but I wonder if they make a lead free version. This is the choke tube I have.
https://www.choketube.com/choke-tube-st ... bes&cts=30

I wasn't using the ammo she was using and my pattern wasn't nearly as tight. Or as expensive! I'm using Remington Premier Magnum turkey loads, copper coated lead. Definitely not as tight as the Winchester Longbeard XR, at least with my shotgun.

Here's a comparison of some of the ammo:
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/ ... key-loads/
"...just smash your piano, and invoke the glory-beaming banjo!" ~Mark Twain

Thanks for the link!

The longbeard is out for me because we are lead free for hunting here in CA. There is a winchester bismuth load that looks interesting that is similar.

I'm considering hevi 13 loads and the matching choke. I'll do another patterning session with what I have before I get out as a reality check.

and maybe load some of those copper controlled chaos Leigh defense bullets if I take my trusty SP-101 in case of shotgun "failure"...

The point about Tungsten is that it's quite dense and holds a pattern quite far out. In the ammo aisle conversations I've over heard, brags are 80 yards. Nonetheless, best to call them in to 20 and aim for the lips. Is what I've heard.

Tungsten likes itself and holds together well when it hits bone. Bismuth, not so much. I've heard it blows apart on hard bones like pigs and deer, but goes though hollow bird bones. Tungsten seems to be the one, though pricey.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

clampdaniel said:

I always love to hunt. Its my dream to hunt in Jungle ...
Why "Hello" clampdaniel! Welcome.

And from a purely moralistic point of view, hunting in the Jungle is the very best BECAUSE then you can be the hunted in return!

My last such hunt was on Kodiak Island in Alaska. We took small bore rifles to hunt the smallish deer on the island and very large bore rifles as a rear guard action for Kodiak bears. I assure you, more than 50% of our focus was on bear lookout. Kodiak, of course, is a forested and mountainous island, not a Jungle, but the comparisons are similar. All proper Jungles are well known for their predators.

I did get out and had a great time. Hiked in, At sunset spotted an elk, listened to songbirds calling and gobblers gobbling in the distance. Lay back and watched the stars and fell off to sleep. Woke up at 3AM and walked through the dew covered grass to set up.

Called in a gobbler, which was exciting, couldn't get it close enough to see him. Made some mistakes..Decoys not visible from road where I found feathers. I was uphill a bit from the road. I set up with the rising sun shining into my eyes. When I set down my box call it made an non turkey like squeak. My improvised blind didn't give me much coverage for any movement i may have made.

It's the last week of the season here and the gobblers that are still alive must be extra wary.

But also, it was my first time out and making mistakes is what you do..

Can't wait for fall season.

drigeba wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:51 am I did get out and had a great time. Hiked in, At sunset spotted an elk, listened to songbirds calling and gobblers gobbling in the distance. Lay back and watched the stars and fell off to sleep. Woke up at 3AM and walked through the dew covered grass to set up.

Called in a gobbler, which was exciting, couldn't get it close enough to see him. Made some mistakes..Decoys not visible from road where I found feathers. I was uphill a bit from the road. I set up with the rising sun shining into my eyes. When I set down my box call it made an non turkey like squeak. My improvised blind didn't give me much coverage for any movement i may have made.

It's the last week of the season here and the gobblers that are still alive must be extra wary.

But also, it was my first time out and making mistakes is what you do..

Can't wait for fall season.
Good for you, you have had the real experience. I love this post.