Battery/Inverter setup

So I've got a generator, which is great for power outages, but it's loud to run and a muffler box really didn't seem to make that much of a difference, but sure increased the heat, so discarded that as a solution. Been kicking around a powerwall, but damn those things are expensive, especially since they only sell them in quantities of 2 now. There's a few smaller battery systems like Orisun (which have turned into vaporware after an initial kickstarter 5 years ago now), and some sellers of box battery backup systems that are expensive and lead acid still, with small inverters that won't run a deep freeze or a fridge.

So here's my thinking- one or two of these:
https://wildoaktrail.com/products/inergy-solar-kodiak

Looks like the inverter is big enough to juice either the fridge or the deep freeze overnight for peaceful sleeping, and can then recharge it off of our solar system or generator during the day. Just need to get the right cable to plug it into my grid tied solar system. Anyone run something similar?
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Re: Battery/Inverter setup

That's a lot of money fro 90 amp hours and a 1500 watt inverter. Its 90 lithium amps and nicely packaged though. You could get a couple of 75 Ah gel cells, a 3000 watt inverter and a small MPPT charge controller for a lot less. You'd have to install it all somewhere in your house and tap off your solar panels to keep the batteries floating. I have found gel cells will last almost indefinitely when lightly used and floated on solar with a decent controller. The portability is nice though.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Yeah, portability/no install is the appealing part of it. I could certainly pickup something for far less, but this has portable utility along with being lithium, so some definite appeal on that front.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

Mason wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:16 am That's a lot of money fro 90 amp hours and a 1500 watt inverter. Its 90 lithium amps and nicely packaged though. You could get a couple of 75 Ah gel cells, a 3000 watt inverter and a small MPPT charge controller for a lot less. You'd have to install it all somewhere in your house and tap off your solar panels to keep the batteries floating. I have found gel cells will last almost indefinitely when lightly used and floated on solar with a decent controller. The portability is nice though.
I agree. It seems that most of these "solar generators" are really oversize versions of jumper packs with an inverter.

I would definitely go with Mason's solution for cost effectiveness. You can get a 3000w inverter from Harbor Freight for $300, unless you wait for the sales. Combine that with a rack of batteries you keep topped up, and you'll have a more cost effective solution.

For portability. why not get a small 2k inverter generator? I've just gotten some Pulsars that are the equivalent of the Hondas, but sell for under $400.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Seems steep, maybe even for what it is, but I get the appeal of self-contained fast and easy.

I think REI is carrying these. If that’s right, if you’re a member, the warranty support of REI would make this a significantly more reliable purchase. They fix or replace just about anything you can break and carry back in to the store.