Re: Man in the High Castle...

Just starting to watch Season 3 tonight. You know I had this feeling that is hard to shake... I had it before when watching the first two season and the feeling is wonderfully encapsulated in the Beginning Montage of the show.

The fictional United States in Season Three starts in 1960's America. This is, of course, an America that lost WWII and which did not have to contend with wars in Korea and Vietnam. Most importantly, it is a country in which the 60's never happened. Their 60's is merely an extension of the 50's; a harder, meaner 50's but a country that we all recognize as fundamentally "Americana".

The rise of Turnip in (our) America not only revealed the inherent racism that has never been resolved in our country's collective soul, it has also shed light on its inherent fascination with fascism. That is what this Amazon series actually underscored: That 1950's America and Nazism actually fit like hand and glove. And although we actually did experience our 60's and 70's, I think our 1980's proved once again that, "What's good for GM is good for America." The Man in the High Castle shows us how -like racism- we've never truly faced nor come to terms with our fascistic (imperialistic) nature.

And that, is indeed hard to watch.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

I was affected by the scene where Julia comes across the place of execution and Kempetai mass grave pit in Golden Gate Park that holds her sister’s body: the consequences of defeat. Amazon Prime had a contest of sorts in which they made several pilots and subscribers got to vote on which one they wanted to be made into a series. I voted for The Man in the High Castle, saying in my comment that while many Phillip K Dick adaptations are just awful, this one is well done and looks promising. Someone listened. You’re Welcome.

Maybe it's just because I've been watching the show over the past week or so but my brain made the nazi propaganda-esque connection to the Josh Hawley (running against Claire McCaskill here in Missouri) campaign sign by the road near work:
He roughed us, then he cuffed us
And he took us off to jail
No picture on a poster, no reward, and no bail