Grabbed the Critter by the Horn

By that I mean a Rhino. I finally got up enough gumption to have one of these in my safe. Have I gone completely mad?
I've had this on the list, but refused to get anything that wasn't 5 or 6 inches, .357 mag, and not Blued.
Last week by happenstance this "Beauty" (I use the term light heartily) shows up at the LGS. Officially it is a Chiappa Rhino 50DS .357 Chrome with Walnut Grips.
The Chrome, you tell by the picture looks like Brushed Chrome.

So I took 50 rounds with me knowing that they let you shot it for free on the day of purchase.
I would have a better range report with pictures, but I will explain later. The gun itself is lighter you you would expect, however beefy enough to handle the round. You know right away that it is firing out of the bottom cylinder. It feels different, not strange, just different. After a few more trips the jury is going make a decision on the comfort level. As you might have guessed, the DS in the name stands for Double/Single. My first 12 shots where from Single. The range is not lit very well enough to take full advantage of the fiber optic sights, but I was able to walk into bulls-eye at 7 yards with no greater than a 4 inch group.

I tried my hand at double action for the next 6 rounds. Yeah, not so much. The trigger is smooth and consistent, but I do not practice this style much so I am definitely not and expert. I would have pictures of the target, but here's the thing. One of the store's clerks, whom I have know for several years now, look eager as I was trotting off to the range. So I invited him to shot a couple of turns with me. After he took his first shot, he winced in pain flinging his off hand about. The poor kid held the gun as though it was a semi auto with his thumb forward. He is actually lucky to still have his thumb. If you notice in the picture there is a channel just under the firing cylinder, which is at the bottom, to vent the gases away. Well this poor kid basically got a plasma torch shot through his thumb. I would almost feel responsible if not for the fact he has worked in a gun store for 6 years now and is highly experienced. This was definitely a learning moment for me and especially him, one he or I will not soon forget.
Chiappa Rhino Small.jpg
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

Re: Grabbed the Critter by the Horn

FlyGuy wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:58 pm Well this poor kid basically got a plasma torch shot through his thumb.
Oops!

I hadn't thought much about how a Rhino would have the gap flash reversed from the upward-V shape of a typical revo. Sounds like the lighting of that range is perfect (as in, bad) for getting a picture of this for us on your next visit! Take video of a cylinder-full of shots and you'll find at least one or two frames that caught the flame jets properly.
IMR4227: Zero to 900 in 0.001 seconds

I'm only killing paper and my self-esteem.

I have owned the snubby DAO version for some time and really enjoy firing and carrying the compact 6-shooter. I agree that firing it feels different, not weird, but also not as revolutionary as I had hoped when I first got it. As a result, I kind of enjoy shooting very hot rounds through this gun for the experience. In DAO it doesn't exactly work as a nice target gun. I hit things more accurately with my 686 in Single-action. And because of all the differences (conscious of the low gap-flame) I like to shoot it one handed... like a Boss!

Folks online who describe being burned on the thumb say it is more of a surprising sting. Nobody actually said it cut their skin or got close to amputating a digit.

But I really like your big honkin' white rhino. Looks fantastic. Many sci-fi and anime films feature that gun (Ghost in the Shell) just for its awesomeness.
"It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of non-violence to cover impotence. There is hope for a violent man to become non-violent. There is no such hope for the impotent." -Gandhi

Bisbee wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:18 pm I have owned the snubby DAO version for some time and really enjoy firing and carrying the compact 6-shooter. I agree that firing it feels different, not weird, but also not as revolutionary as I had hoped when I first got it. As a result, I kind of enjoy shooting very hot rounds through this gun for the experience. In DAO it doesn't exactly work as a nice target gun. I hit things more accurately with my 686 in Single-action. And because of all the differences (conscious of the low gap-flame) I like to shoot it one handed... like a Boss!

Folks online who describe being burned on the thumb say it is more of a surprising sting. Nobody actually said it cut their skin or got close to amputating a digit.

But I really like your big honkin' white rhino. Looks fantastic. Many sci-fi and anime films feature that gun (Ghost in the Shell) just for its awesomeness.
A picture of how to hold it would be nice.

FlyGuy, congrats and looks like a gun I wouldn't mind trying.

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.

I finally saw the kid again over the weekend. As in most cases, the amount of blood and initial shock are always worse then the actual injury. But, there is definitely a noticeable chunk out of his thumb.

Sikacz, this is absolutely coming with me on our next meet-up. Sorry I am not going to make this weekend though.
Never confuse knowledge with intelligence.

FlyGuy wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:45 am I finally saw the kid again over the weekend. As in most cases, the amount of blood and initial shock are always worse then the actual injury. But, there is definitely a noticeable chunk out of his thumb.

Sikacz, this is absolutely coming with me on our next meet-up. Sorry I am not going to make this weekend though.
You're going to have to show me how to hold it. I need my digits for higher math....or basic math..

"Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated!" Loquacious of many. Texas Chapter Chief Cat Herder.