Ear Protection and other gear?

This is kind of a general question about shooting gear, but more specifically ear protection. I just picked up a Remington 870 and an Armalite M-15 A4 and everyone's warning me about how loud they both are. My friends know that I don't really have experience with long rifles, I've always been mostly a handgun guy.

When I go to the range, I usually use ear plugs, but I'm told that they won't do the job with a tactical rifle or a shotgun. I read this article (https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-ear-prote ... -shooting/) and took a look at some of the electronic ear muffs on their list, but I was hoping to gather a bit more info before making a decision.

I'm also in the market for some additional gear. My son and I are going hunting for the first time together this year and I want to get a good vest, a survival kit and maybe a couple brass pouches. Any suggestions on any of the above would be appreciated. I'm not willing to skimp if it means I don't get quality gear so no need to rule out more expensive stuff. I'd prefer to get the best gear available.

Re: Ear Protection and other gear?

You can double-up on plugs and muffs. The cheap foam plugs have the most protection.

Anyone here use the "smart" plugs and muffs together? Does that even work so you can hear conversations?

When I shoot long guns, I usually only use plugs, because muffs tend to prevent a good cheek weld. But I have a big head. You might consider low-profile muffs if this is an issue.

As to the rest, I'll let others jump in. What kind of hunting and where? That will likely affect gear selection.

"Person, woman, man, camera, TV."

I can not shoot rifle with muffs on. They get in the way of cheek to stock weld.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
An intellectual is someone that can change their mind after being given enough evidence.

“ I nearly murdered somebody, and it made me realise that you can't face violence with violence. It doesn't work. ”

—Joe Strummer

I had a set of plugs made at a gun show. Stuff is squirted into your ears and formed. The entire ear canal is filled, custom.
http://www.bigearinc.com/
$80! Pretty gosh darn high but they seal out sound and mute all vibrations. They seat flush so nothing to get in the way. Since they aren't covering the ear and head there isn't the sweating like the muffs cause. This is a plus around here.

Puffing up is no substitute for smarts but it's a common home remedy

Simmer down wrote:I had a set of plugs made at a gun show. Stuff is squirted into your ears and formed. The entire ear canal is filled, custom.
$80! Pretty gosh darn high but they seal out sound and mute all vibrations. They seat flush so nothing to get in the way. Since they aren't covering the ear and head there isn't the sweating like the muffs cause. This is a plus around here.
I did the same at my local trap range when some custom guys were on site, except I opted for the ones made in the lab with a hocks noise braker to allow for a bit better conversation. About $160, and definitely the best ones I've ever owned. First custom molded ones I picked up from Amazon- basically mix the stuff up and pop it into your ear- I found them better than foam, but not as good of a seal as the lab made ones, as they shrink just a little.

When shooting pistol I double up and use my electronic muffs. Which I also can't use when shooting rifle/shotgun due to cheek weld issues.
“Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.”
- Maya Angelou

I double up with earplugs and muffs when shooting indoors, but step down to just earmuffs when outdoors.

I've tried the Walker's Game Ear Razor Slim, which is inexpensive and generally comparable to the also popular Howard Leight Impact Sport. They're fine. However, the Peltor Sport Tactical 300 is a huge step up in both quality and price. The audio is much clearer, and stereo imaging is good as opposed to negligible like it is in the Walkers.

I also like OC Tactical's hearing protection covers http://www.octactical.com/hp2hearingprotection.html. The Peltors have a bit of a hard headband which can get uncomfortable after a few hours.

Finally, if you take your earmuff comfort really seriously, 3M also makes gel pads that replace the simple foam ones for many Peltor models (including the ones mentioned above). They are annoyingly pricey ($40-50) but extremely comfortable. They also seal over the ear stalks of eye protection very well.

Simmer down wrote:I had a set of plugs made at a gun show. Stuff is squirted into your ears and formed. The entire ear canal is filled, custom.
I bought a pair of these at the NYC Motorcycle Show back in 2004 and STILL use them, especially when swimming.
But I also use the 3M orange plastic ear plugs with the blue plastic cord, and, if the range is really loud, 3M -30db earmuffs. Got both at Home Depot for less than $30. and leave them in my range bag, along with yellow shooter's glasses that go over my specs.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I agree, those would be the best since they exactly contour to your ear canal.

I agree, muffs and plugs are the best. Ear muffs will have an NRR number (Noise Reduction Rating), look for the highest number for best protection - the highest possible NRR number is 33. And make sure they comfortably fit your ears, you don't want to be distracted with pain while shooting.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I use electronic ear plugs they amplify the ambient noise so you can hear the game in the brush and block the noise of the gun shot// I tend to us 12 gauge and 30 cal rifles. I find them adequate..this is not a trip to the range.. you will not be discharging your weapon very often. Been on deer hunts were one shot the whole trip got the job done.. Hunted upland game where less than half a box of shotshells max'ed my limit

Consider that you might not get a clean kill .. lots of flashlights / eye wear combo's or just flashlight that allow you to track blood trails .. you can be a great shot at the range .. but new hunters can get excited and get "Deer Fever" and forget even the most basic tenets of marksmanship ... speaking of game you are going to have to handle a bloody carcass if you get your game.. all mammals carry diseases .. everything from ticks and other skin and fur parasites to blood borne diseases so you need safety gear gloves apron mask and the knowledge of what might carry which disease and what diseases do or don't ruin the suitability of the meat for consumption and you will need so way to field dress , maybe partially butcher the animal (seen elk that have had to be cut up in to 5 full backpack loads) protect the meat and transport it out As a minimum you will need to at least field dress game if they will not be in refrigeration or on ice within the hour.

https://www.avma.org/public/Health/Page ... nters.aspx study whatever game you are hunting with an eye to which of the listed diseases affect them... be particularly wary of ticks.. as the carcass cools and the blood stops circulating they will detach and look for a warm circulating supply of blood .. lyme disease is common and takes a long time if ever to recover from .. in all likelihood you will the closest available fresh host.. if you use dogs they are susceptible check them frequently use repellant but do not rely on it .. do tick checks

IMHO .223 is a lousy hunting caliber.. powerful enough to disintegrate small game like rabbits and squirrels .. but too light for sure clean kills on all but the smallest deer.. great round for varmints and those are not typically eaten or hunted for meat but carry extra risk of blood borne disease, both by the nature of the animal ( flea borne disease like Bubonic plague and Hanta fever in the urine and feces of some rodents).. both of which still exist in some areas and we get a few cases every year and due to the extreme blood/ bodily fluids splatter.

You didn't mention what you are hunting for or if you were hunting for meat.. and didn't mention any protective gear or dressing or field butchering or transport equipment.. but you should look into it.. any mammal can carry rabies .

Medical gear should include stuff to handle gun shots/ firearm accidents and broken bones. medical gear is worthless unless you know how to properly use it.

Something else to seriously consider.. if it looks like cammo to you, then it will fool the human eye and the eyes of other hunters in the area ..most game have very different eyes see in the untraviolet but are color blind wearing safety orange cannot be seen as orange by most game

READ THIS http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/publis ... nter.shtml http://www.atsko.com/how-game-animals-see-smell/
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2016/09 ... ails-eyes/
http://modern-hunters.com/need-camouflage-to-hunt/

Save the Real Tree for shopping at Walmart or posturing at gunshows . Wear lots of Blaze Orange

Your average gunshot is 100dB

I use a set of earplugs rated at 30dB and earmuffs at 25dB and it works great.
Just a set of earplugs or headphones is really not enough...especially inside.
Only set I've seen was one from Cabela's rated at 75dB they retail for 69.95.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, make violent revolution inevitable.

MaxwellG wrote:Your average gunshot is 100dB

I use a set of earplugs rated at 30dB and earmuffs at 25dB and it works great.
Just a set of earplugs or headphones is really not enough...especially inside.
Only set I've seen was one from Cabela's rated at 75dB they retail for 69.95.
The first time some jackass fires their SBR next to you is generally the first time you realize that cheap pair of foamies aren't worth the hearing loss. Headphones are a must indoors.

I really need to look into those custom earplug jobs. Has anyone tried the over the counter Decibullz? I've read very mixed reviews.
LGC Texas - Vice President

RichardMillans wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:49 am Hey, I was wondering about the Trophy Ridge Peak 5 Pin Bow Sight... Guys check it out URL DELETED and let me know please:)
richard, you'll get better results if you post in the archery section.
and please stop by our intro section and tell us something about yourself, what you shoot, and why you're here. otherwise, some of us :bananadance: will think you're just here to spam.
i'm retired. what's your excuse?

Aside from the spammers....

I use foam earplugs and low profile ear gear at indoor ranges. It can be sweaty and uncomfortable, but you never know who is shooting what next to you.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

senorgrand wrote:You can double-up on plugs and muffs. The cheap foam plugs have the most protection.

Anyone here use the "smart" plugs and muffs together? Does that even work so you can hear conversations?

When I shoot long guns, I usually only use plugs, because muffs tend to prevent a good cheek weld. But I have a big head. You might consider low-profile muffs if this is an issue.

As to the rest, I'll let others jump in. What kind of hunting and where? That will likely affect gear selection.
Yup. I do this all the time. Foam plugs then electronic muffs, except when it is super windy. That bothers me personally. Conversation can be heard pretty decent.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

David Owen a writer for The New Yorker is out with a new book, "Volume Control - Hearing in a Deafening World". I heard him interviewed by an ENT on a call in show, can't find a link this is close .
Owen warns that even small household appliances like food processors and hair dryers can generate noise at levels that lead to permanent damage. He notes that people who live in places without significant background noises tend to experience less hearing loss. "There have been a couple of studies done with populations of indigenous people who live in places where there is very little background noise and elderly people in those populations tend to hear as well as infants do," he says.

Owen recommends that people carry earplugs with them — and not be bashful about using them. Recently he popped in a pair of musician's earplugs before watching Dunkirk, a movie long on explosions and short on dialogue.
The average wait for a person who first notices a hearing problem — the average delay between that moment and going to the doctor — is 10 years. That's the average. We don't treat it the way we treat other sensory problems. If you have trouble seeing things, you get glasses. But people tend to put off getting hearing aids for a long time.
https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... g-our-ears

It's not just shooting, there is a lot of noise that can affect our hearing. I take a pair of foam ones along when I go to the movies, the trailers for new features are just too loud and sometimes I'll wear them through the movie.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

I bought a relatively inexpensive set of Walker's Bluetooth earmuffs and have been pleasantly surprised at how well they work. As earmuffs they block quite a bit of the gunshot noise, and as a Bluetooth device we can communicate using our radios and cell phones. Not bad for $40 since Peltor wants something like $850 for a wired communication set and the PTT switches add about $100 to the equation.