Kayak Fishing

Wow! Great to find a fishing forum here. We need to get more activity going.

One of my great hobbies these past few years has been Kayak fishing. My fleet currently consists of 2 battleships:

First - A 2013 Hobie Outback, that I have pretty pimped out for King Salmon here in Lake Michigan.

Then in 2015, I upgraded to a Hobie Pro Angler, and this thing is really pimped out. Again mostly Salmon & Brown Trout here in the Great Lakes:

I've had some pretty amazing adventures on the water over the years, and haven't killed myself yet.

Here is a pretty wild video of me catching a King up in Wisconsin from a Kayak, shot from a Gopro mounted to my bow:

https://youtu.be/lR5MRSQ2Sbw

Anyone else here into this sort of thing?

Re: Kayak Fishing

JoelB wrote:Hy son fishes from a Hobe. He is scheduled to be in a tournament down at Land Between The waters in a few weeks. He has won a number of tournaments here on southern WI.

Hi Joel,

Cool! I probably know him. I participate in all the WI Salmon tournaments.

I can put into the Chesapeake bay from my back yard. I have a Pescador 14 but no time to talk right now. Welcome back. Good to hear from you.
'Sorry stupid people but there are some definite disadvantages to being stupid."

-John Cleese

Those Hobies are really nice. One is in my future if I could quit buying guns. I don't like the fishing kind. I was the sleek and fast one.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle

If you happen to be interested in some Muskie fishing, I found a spot in WI during a dam repair project where they were thick as heck, catch one within seconds of your rig hitting the water, provided you're using the right stuff. 8-)

I'll share location & technique providing you promise to do catch & release on the Muskies; there are walleye there if ya want to chow down, & can keep them from getting eaten before ya crank 'em in.

:beer2:
https://www.thumbknuckle.beer
https://www.facebook.com/ThumbKnuckleBrewingCo/

Bob3 wrote:If you happen to be interested in some Muskie fishing, I found a spot in WI during a dam repair project where they were thick as heck, catch one within seconds of your rig hitting the water, provided you're using the right stuff. 8-)

I'll share location & technique providing you promise to do catch & release on the Muskies; there are walleye there if ya want to chow down, & can keep them from getting eaten before ya crank 'em in.

Oh my...

I'll send you a PM :)

Mason wrote:I can put into the Chesapeake bay from my back yard. I have a Pescador 14 but no time to talk right now. Welcome back. Good to hear from you.
Hey Brother! Hope you are doing well, your black powder is dry, and your pcp seals are tight :)

Would like to hear some of your fish stories sometime... being able to Kayak-crab for blues out my backyard is a sick fantasy of mine..

Porkroast wrote:
JoelB wrote:Hy son fishes from a Hobe. He is scheduled to be in a tournament down at Land Between The waters in a few weeks. He has won a number of tournaments here on southern WI.

Hi Joel,

When he started to use a kayak I convinced him not to fish in Lake Michigan. He now specializes in Bass and Musky fishing. This is typical of the bass he catch in Lake Mendota right in Madison.

JoelB wrote:
Porkroast wrote:

Hi Joel,

When he started to use a kayak I convinced him not to fish in Lake Michigan. He now specializes in Bass and Musky fishing. This is typical of the bass he catch in Lake Mendota right in Madison.

Hey Joel,

Not sure if I met your son, but I'll keep an eye out for him. Not a bad idea talking him out of Lake Michigan... The last tournament I was in, a young guy died while going off on his own upwind. I heard it was exposure and hypothermia. After that happened, I only ever go out in a full dry suit now, and probably would not recommend anyone do it without one. That video was shot right before he died and I bought my suit...

I fished for salmon for 10 years out of Sheboygan We would start out on a beautiful sunny day and sometimes out of nowhere dense for would appear. Back in those pre-GPS I relied on Loran to get us back in. My 20' Boston Whaler seemed tiny on those days. Our son has the same model Hobe as you do. I'm happy he has stayed off of the big lake.

A guy that lives quite close to me named Craig Blacklock kayaked most of Lake Superior with his wife, he wore a dry suit and she was naked. Published a book of the pictures of her.
What I've always wondered about dry suits is how comfortable are they while paddling, kind of hot?

Holy crap. I need to get out for Muskie this year!

Eelj: dry suits are hot if you are trying to wear them in warm weather, but I usually only wear them in colder temps. I have a thermal layer I wear also user the suit but I'm talking water temps in the 50s and air 60-40f

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you speed to fishing spots , chasing each other around the lake in these? Dont you need to hang 5, 250 hp outboards on the back? Lol

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk
This is just my opinion, yours may vary and is no less valid.
- Me -

"I will never claim to be an expert, and it has been my experience that self proclaimed experts are usually self proclaimed."
-Me-

I must proof read more