Re: HuffPo on the suppressor bill

*sigh*

I was looking up suppressor thread topics and found this. A time in my life that I wanted the GOP to keep a promise. As always, they lied.

Since millions of people won't be getting suppressors, I have to ask the forum... is it a difficult process? I have been considering it for years.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

K9s wrote:...Since millions of people won't be getting suppressors, I have to ask the forum... is it a difficult process? I have been considering it for years.
It isn’t difficult. Just slow . Also, for some reason $200 doesn’t like to jump out of my wallet as easily as it once did.

Some shops specialize in it, and take what little mystery there is, out. In Austin there are two that I had good experiences with, Silencer Shop and Capitol Armory.

I just wish the discussion was sensible. Everything I've read is that a "silencer" has a maximum of -30db, about the same as the best passive ear protection (better than most electronics). We've all been to ranges and even with ear plugs AND -30db ear muffs, the audio impact and concussion from almost every firearm, especially AR-15s and AR-10s is very, very intense and loud. So, unless you're shooting a sub-sonic .22, a suppressor isn't going to "silence" the gun at all, just closer to the "won't damage your hearing much" level.

There's a gadget, that requires the $200 fee (in states where it's legal) that screws onto the barrel, then into a car or truck oil filter and becomes an effective suppressor. Hickok45 has a video on it. YouTube removed it, but here's a link to it.
https://www.facebook.com/weaponsvault1/ ... 584266284/
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

I remember that oil filter video. It seems like it would work with 22LR.

I think the Hollywood version of silencers warps the view of the public. They should go back to calling it a muffler. That's what it is.
It is an unfortunate human failing that a full pocketbook often groans more loudly than an empty stomach.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

I think making off-the-shelf suppressors legal is a stupid idea. If it happened, poaching would spiral completely out of control.

The article cited in the OP mentions that hunters can hear wild game better. For the same money (probably less) there are plenty of electronic hearing protectors that do that very thing, while protecting the shooter from the sound of the gun shot.

I think it's absurd that poaching has never come up in any of these analysis.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

MayhemVI wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:42 am I think making off-the-shelf suppressors legal is a stupid idea. If it happened, poaching would spiral completely out of control.

The article cited in the OP mentions that hunters can hear wild game better. For the same money (probably less) there are plenty of electronic hearing protectors that do that very thing, while protecting the shooter from the sound of the gun shot.

I think it's absurd that poaching has never come up in any of these analysis.
Indoor ranges would DEFINITELY benefit from suppressors. Electronic muffs don't usually block more than -22DB where passive ones block -30db, same as most suppressors. I use both earplugs and -30db passive muffs and STILL the percussion can be loud and unpleasant. I'd much prefer a suppressor to the muzzle break on my AR-10! Of course, the law would have to supersede state laws preventing threaded barrels and out-lawing flash suppressors (I STILL don't know WTF that's about here in NJ! I know it's a leftover from the national AWB, but it didn't make sense then, either).

But that's never going to pass in THIS House--It couldn't even pass when the ReThugs had their shot from 2017 to 2019--living proof that they simply cannot govern.
"Even if the bee could explain to the fly why pollen is better than shit, the fly could never understand."

Yeah, if you see me in an indoor range, I'm there grudgingly. But for your premise to work, everyone has to have a suppressor on their firearm. The last time I was indoors, the guy at the far end had rented one of the .50 cal handguns. Luckily he only lasted 3 shots and we'll never know if it was the recoil or the blast that sent him back to the counter. But EVERYONE else was happy to see him go. Point being, depending who else is there, it really doesn't matter if you have a suppressor on your own gun.

Poaching is my entire "NO" vote. If this measure became a usable law, it would become a tragic nightmare out there. And God knows, the way we're treating this planet already has me depressed enough. I just can't get behind this.
If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory. - Mickey Kaus, The New Republic

MayhemVI wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:41 am Yeah, if you see me in an indoor range, I'm there grudgingly. But for your premise to work, everyone has to have a suppressor on their firearm. The last time I was indoors, the guy at the far end had rented one of the .50 cal handguns. Luckily he only lasted 3 shots and we'll never know if it was the recoil or the blast that sent him back to the counter. But EVERYONE else was happy to see him go. Point being, depending who else is there, it really doesn't matter if you have a suppressor on your own gun.

Poaching is my entire "NO" vote. If this measure became a usable law, it would become a tragic nightmare out there. And God knows, the way we're treating this planet already has me depressed enough. I just can't get behind this.
Suggesting that poachers should be allowed to drive suppressor policy isn't any different than saying that gang shootings are why we should turn in our guns. As already noted, it's very easy to make an illegal suppressor with commonly available parts. Criminals don't care about laws. Even if the Hearing Protection Act passes, an illegal can will always be at least $200 less expensive than a legal one.

Suggesting that poachers should be allowed to drive suppressor policy isn't any different than saying that gang shootings are why we should turn in our guns.
Actually, it's a helluva lot different. Suppressors are not in any way covered by the 2nd Amendment. No one is saying anything about turning anything in, And the premise that this is somehow necessary for hearing protection is not only a lie but a bad one. So, I'm seeing quite a lot of difference here.

**Late Edit/Addition** The Treasury Dept. is constantly redesigning the various dollar bills specifically because of counterfeiters. THAT is the analogy that fits this scenario. So yes, how the criminal element is going to react is and should be how policies and laws are enacted. AND i spelled counterfeiters correctly on the first go. BooYa!
it's very easy to make an illegal suppressor with commonly available parts.

Cool. Where are they? Where's yours?
Criminals don't care about laws.
Thanx Captain Obvious. They also don't care about learning how to work a lathe or drill press or read blueprints. Guess we got lucky on that one, huh?
Even if the Hearing Protection Act passes,

It won't, luckily.
an illegal can will always be at least $200 less expensive than a legal one.
And $200 less available. They won't be on the shelf attracting attention, they won't be bought, they won't be used, they won't be the inspiration for a new black market. No one's rights are being infringed, suppressors are in fact legal and available, and this is a bullshit issue that idiot Republicans and NRA dimwits are using just to stir up trouble. I say again, Hearing Protection Act my ass.

I would, quite frankly, welcome the ability to legally own a suppressor for my home defense firearm. The fact that I will necessarily destroy my hearing (and likely my family's) if I ever need to defend my family in my home is bullshit. Sure, one could take the time to fuck around with putting on hearing protection, in the dark and under duress, just like one could fuck about with 10 round magazines. Or, the most effective tool could be ready to go to defend your family. Suppressor laws are as egregious as magazine laws. I'm sure that before long, California will have optic laws, because why should a citizen be able to target something in the dark?

Play through the thought exercise of someone kicking in your door at 3 am. How long do you have to get on your ear muffs, find the fiddly volume knob, access you presumably locked up firearm and put on your glasses?

featureless wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 am Play through the thought exercise of someone kicking in your door at 3 am. How long do you have to get on your ear muffs, find the fiddly volume knob, access you presumably locked up firearm and put on your glasses?
All of that especially the glasses, I wear them mainly for distance and a strong flash light.

We need a Snopes for firearms, to cut through all the bullshit shown on TV and movies. Writers in their writing rooms can create anything and be as ignorant as the director about firearms, so suppressors are always "silent", police always hit their targets and a scoped and "silenced" rifle can shoot accurately and silently for miles. For people who don't know about firearms, this is where they they learn.
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

highdesert wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:25 am
featureless wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 am Play through the thought exercise of someone kicking in your door at 3 am. How long do you have to get on your ear muffs, find the fiddly volume knob, access you presumably locked up firearm and put on your glasses?
All of that especially the glasses
One of the reasons my home defense rifle wears an aimpoint and a light. I can see just fine a few feet away and can clearly identify a target. Unfortunately, irons in low light have become impossible--just one big fuzz at arms length.

Judging by the amount of gunfire in the woods out here on any given day I'd say poachers could go shoot a deer with an unsuppressed .50BMG and the fish and game warden hearing it wouldn't come running unless they saw it happen.

Also building a legal/illegal can is simple and cheap. You can build a nice can for about $400 if you have a drill press and basic tools. I know this is true because I have built one (legally).

A person should have wealth to own a suppressor? The landowners got suppressors banned by claiming "poaching" was the real evil. The starvation wages were the evil, not the poachers trying to feed their families. I have never seen data that supports the evils of poaching.

Suppressors are widely available in other industrialized countries. I cannot imagine such widespread anarchy would spring up here because of legal suppressors.

Of course, that is irrelevant because the laws won't change, anyway.

- Franklin D. Roosevelt

MayhemVI wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:09 am
Suggesting that poachers should be allowed to drive suppressor policy isn't any different than saying that gang shootings are why we should turn in our guns.
Actually, it's a helluva lot different. Suppressors are not in any way covered by the 2nd Amendment. No one is saying anything about turning anything in, And the premise that this is somehow necessary for hearing protection is not only a lie but a bad one. So, I'm seeing quite a lot of difference here.

**Late Edit/Addition** The Treasury Dept. is constantly redesigning the various dollar bills specifically because of counterfeiters. THAT is the analogy that fits this scenario. So yes, how the criminal element is going to react is and should be how policies and laws are enacted. AND i spelled counterfeiters correctly on the first go. BooYa!
it's very easy to make an illegal suppressor with commonly available parts.

Cool. Where are they? Where's yours?
Criminals don't care about laws.
Thanx Captain Obvious. They also don't care about learning how to work a lathe or drill press or read blueprints. Guess we got lucky on that one, huh?
Even if the Hearing Protection Act passes,

It won't, luckily.
an illegal can will always be at least $200 less expensive than a legal one.
And $200 less available. They won't be on the shelf attracting attention, they won't be bought, they won't be used, they won't be the inspiration for a new black market. No one's rights are being infringed, suppressors are in fact legal and available, and this is a bullshit issue that idiot Republicans and NRA dimwits are using just to stir up trouble. I say again, Hearing Protection Act my ass.
My friend, you"re welcome to your worldview. I mean no disrespect as I move into the 'agree to disagree' square.

Here's mine.
viewtopic.php?t=37048

ETA. You believe criminals don't know how to uae tools or read blueprints? Huh. Sure about that?

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/fac ... 263ef.html
"...including a .22 rimfire rifle with a homemade suppressor."
Last edited by AndyH on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonguengroover wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:14 pm There's a good video of how to make a suppressor out of a fuel filter instead of the goofy oil filter.
For a SHTF device, go for it. Until then, both the thread adapter and filter need to be properly marked, and once fired the first time, a Form 1 builder cannot replace the filter without another form 1 and$200 tax stamp. Swapping parts requires one have or take the can to someone with an expensive license.

For example: http://www.smallarmsreview.com/display. ... icles=1347

(BTW - Yankee Hill Machine is now in the suppressor business and they have some very nice prices relative to other companies. Big Dady Unlimited has the best prices I've found on YMH and and others. The YMH 9mm can has an MSRP of $745. Big Daddy's price is $476.)