Un-stringing the Bow from time to time

I thought of putting this info down in the "laying off" thread, but this isn't exactly that. Well, it's laying off of being under tension for my recurve. It's laminated, with a fiberglass strip down the middle and wood on the outsides. Now, when I make my long bow, I'll un-string it after every shoot. But these laminated ones, I don't think it hurts them to leave them strung for a year.

We leave our compounds always strung, for obvious reasons. Recurves, not much info out there in internet land. One thread below has a guy who does what I do: he shoots a couple times a week, and he hasn't unstrung his bow. Others say unstring it after every shoot. I don't think they shoot as often as I do. I think my strategy of once a year and shoot it two or three times a week is a compromise.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=506617

As it looks over the maybe thirteen years I've had this recurve, that I un string it at least once a year. I haven't written about it yet. So, here it is.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

Re: Un-stringing the Bow from time to time

Weather and circumstances harmonized to give me clear weather and time to play some archery. So this morning I strung the bow. Strang the bow--that's what it sounded like when I plucked it, strang.

I use a stringer--a piece of cord that hooks on one end and hooks on the other in a way that you can stand on the cord on the ground, then you can draw your bow against your body weight in any way that works. When you have the bow quite flexed, you slide the bow string into the notch. Then you relax it slowly while you check the string alignment in the notch. Then you take off the stringer.

I'd repaired the flipper a few days ago. When I did, I realized that my recurve had been disabled by that missing flipper. I have two other bows, compounds, one for each side, but my primary bow is my recurve. It was sobering to think I'd been disarmed of my primary arrow weapon by my own inaction.

My lesson is from "Dawn Patrol:" keep you knife sharp and your socks dry. Make sure there's always a primary weapon.

Stringing takes like seventeen seconds, but it was my having left the flipper unrepaired that bugged me. I always have lots of rifle projects over lapping each other, so an ancillary note in all this is to make sure you've got a working thing before you go futzing in projects.

Got to shoot. Shot from ten yards. I only shot one quiver, but I shot equally from each side. I'll wait two or so days and do the same thing, when I'll move up maybe to quiver for each side. Feels good to be shooting again.

CDFingers
Crazy cat peekin' through a lace bandana
like a one-eyed Cheshire, like a diamond-eyed Jack

You don't string your bow until you are ready to shoot, if it is an all wooden bow you string it before you are ready to shoot and warm it up a little bit. A modern recruve bow make of wood and fiberglass and plastic is just as subject to fatigue and failure from the stress of constantly being under pressure. Not to mention that even a dacron string will stretch if left under tension long enough. Pulley bows are designed to stay strung and under tension. I have been shooting since I was six years old, I have never heard anyone say it was a good idea to leave your bow strung. It's a simple machine that multiplies force and any machine, no matter how simple will fail if not maintained.
Never smile too big, the gods may mistake it for hubris.

I've always un strung the bow as soon as I was done shooting it. I have never left it stung. I have also been shooting bows since age 6.
All religions united with government are more or less inimical to liberty. All, separated from government, are compatible with liberty.-Henry Clay
Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of their arms.—Aristotle